Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL Joker questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 12:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by billinghamn
It is confusing isn't it? The jokers you can earn are at the start of your renewed GGL membership year, and at 6000 TPs. So you are right in your belief that you just have your two unused jokers at this point in time. In June you will lose any unused jokers from this year and gain two new jokers for the year starting in June.
Yes, and just to be clear (?!), the only GGL benefits now earned during the course of your membership year are those potentially at 6k, 7k, 8k and 9k TPs. You always get 2 jokers on your membership year for that membership year, and up to 4 more during the year with 12 month expiry dates on them. I personally don't find it that confusing, otherwise how do you know whether you've gone over the required thresholds?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
thanks billinghamn and CWS. The confusion was coming from the website which said "GGL redemption achieved" so I wasn't sure whether there was something triggered at "3k GGL renewal achieved" level but all makes sense now - thank you.

it's a shame that the 6k 'benefit' isn't the choice that there is at 7, 8 and 9k. my 'TP loving accountant' mind was thinking the other day that if a run to HNL/OGG/LIH which already earns 50k Avios earned the extra 50k (if one went for that rather than a joker or GUF), then the 100k 'earned' would pretty much offset the cost of flying (assuming a lot of things of course but that's how the TP-loving-account explained it to the butler who told me).

happy flying. jetstar for me tomorrow with a 13 month old..... (and her parents!).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:53 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Is there any way to see online how many gold guest list redemptions one has left?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by golfmad
Is there any way to see online how many gold guest list redemptions one has left?
Nope. I put the same question to the GGL line yesterday and the reply was that they had to send a note to the relevant department and would call me back with the info.

As I have done in excess of 7,000 TPs pa in the past few years the situation is complicated as I do not now the expiry dates of the additional vouchers and I do not know exactly when redemption vouchers were booked. Would be much better if remaining vouchers were shown in one's account.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, and just to be clear (?!), the only GGL benefits now earned during the course of your membership year are those potentially at 6k, 7k, 8k and 9k TPs. You always get 2 jokers on your membership year for that membership year, and up to 4 more during the year with 12 month expiry dates on them. I personally don't find it that confusing, otherwise how do you know whether you've gone over the required thresholds?
I'm confused again!! Early onset Alzheimers on my part probably but I'm sure there was a parallel thread to this one in which c-w-s explained things for me in even more detail but having just spoken with the BA team again I'm still confused. Here's my situation...

I re-qualified for GGL again about 6 weeks ago and am now on 5,180 points. My membership year doesn't end until June 8th. I was under the impression that when I re-qualified I'd receive 2 jokers that would then be replaced in June regardless of whether I'd used them or not. I've not used a joker since last October.

So I thought I had two fresh ones and I used one yesterday evening on a booking early Feb. The agent sent off the request and it came back as approved. I tried to use a second one today and it was rejected saying I'd used my entitlement.

As the agent isn't able to tell how many I have left either they have asked the back-office to confirm where I've used them up.

Am I right to think I would have been allocated two jokers when I passed 3,000 points in December? If that's correct, and if I use these two, am I right to think I'll receive two more on or around June 8th as well as receiving another one when I pass 6,000 points in a few weeks?

Thanks for being patient with me as I try to get my head around it again.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:02 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:32 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Jokers are replenished on the anniversary of your membership, not the date you re-qualify for GGL. You had two applied on 9th June 2014 and will have 2 more on 9th June 2015, but I'm afraid you don't get another 2 part-way through the year when you re-qualify.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Jan 26, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You will get the 2 jokers for requalifying on your anniversary date.
This post answers an almost identical question (including June anniversary).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24109416-post60.html
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
I got the impression you only get jokers when first achieving GGL status. Thereafter you get them on your BA year-start providing you are GGL on that date.
Ok so I must have had 1 left from the current year which I used last night. Hence no more left today.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Jokers are replenished on the anniversary of your membership, not the date you re-qualify for GGL. You got two applied on 9th January 2014 and will get 2 more on 9th June 2015. I'm afraid you don't get another 2 when you re-qualify.
Ok thanks. Did you mean 9th June 2014 (you wrote January?)
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

Ok. In that case, am I able to remove a joker from a booking

I really need to use my precious remaining one for the one-way Avios redemption that I have to travel on this Sunday. The other one was just an upgrade to F and I can live with the upper deck.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Ok so I must have had 1 left from the current year which I used last night. Hence no more left today.

Ok thanks. Did you mean 9th June 2014 (you wrote January?)
Yes, meant 9th June. It's true; men can't multi-task!!

Have corrected the original.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 pm

Ok. In that case, am I able to remove a joker from a booking

I really need to use my precious remaining one for the one-way Avios redemption that I have to travel on this Sunday. The other one was just an upgrade to F and I can live with the upper deck.
I've had it removed from the original booking so I can re-use it so I've avoided using some precious onbusiness points

I promise not to ask the same questions again
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I do hope that this is not already answered elsewhere, but here goes .....

If booking with a Joker into ET (assuming there is B availability), or I suppose into any other cabin, is the booking just like any other Avios booking, with the usual range of part cash / part Avios options, or is the booking limited to full Avios redemptions only ?

Presumably however it works, one would now be stuck with the new peak / off peak cost regime ?

Presumably the tickets are fully changeable (subject to alternative availability) and refundable ?

Are they available for one way flights, or only returns ?

Thanks for any help !
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I do hope that this is not already answered elsewhere, but here goes .....

If booking with a Joker into ET (assuming there is B availability), or I suppose into any other cabin, is the booking just like any other Avios booking, with the usual range of part cash / part Avios options, or is the booking limited to full Avios redemptions only ?

Presumably however it works, one would now be stuck with the new peak / off peak cost regime ?

Presumably the tickets are fully changeable (subject to alternative availability) and refundable ?

Are they available for one way flights, or only returns ?

Thanks for any help !
All the joker does is open up redemption space where none existed. Everything else is unchanged with respect to actually booking redemption seats.

You will be able to do whatever you would have been able to do had redemption space been available prior to using your joker.

Like any redemption booking:

1. Yes, you will have to abide by the new rates in terms of peak/off peak.

2. Yes, they are changeable and cancelable.

3. Yes, they will work with one ways and returns.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:24 pm

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others

3. Yes, they will work with one ways and returns.
As an example, I have just used a joker for a 1 way positioning flight to MAD as my ideal slot wasn't available out. It was a case of use it or lose it as my year ends in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.