Connection times when booking online

Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:44 am
Formerly known as ahoban
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Connection times when booking online

Hi,

Have found quite a few threads regarding connection times at LHR however couldn't narrow down to anything relating to extending a layover.

We're looking at doing DUB-LHR-JFK in early 2015, however when looking at the options BA are showing when looking at flights+hotel it's giving me exactly 60 minutes to transfer on all 10 flight options.

As I've managed to get a very rare two weeks off work, I'd like to take a somewhat relaxed approach to the beginning of the trip and possibly enjoy a few hours in one of the lounges to relax and deal off any issues that will no-doubt surface when clients realise I'm out of office.

So I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about getting a bit more time at Heathrow? As it's a flight+hotel I'm unsure if it can be booked over the phone and if then can even alter the flights offered by the system? Or would it be easier to just go and book it and then try have the first sector changed over the phone afterwards?

I've had a look on Matrix and the 831 from Dublin, transferring onto the 177 gives me a handy 3:55 at Heathrow, which is ideally the combo I'd like to get my hands on.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ahoban
Hi,

Have found quite a few threads regarding connection times at LHR however couldn't narrow down to anything relating to extending a layover.

We're looking at doing DUB-LHR-JFK in early 2015, however when looking at the options BA are showing when looking at flights+hotel it's giving me exactly 60 minutes to transfer on all 10 flight options.

As I've managed to get a very rare two weeks off work, I'd like to take a somewhat relaxed approach to the beginning of the trip and possibly enjoy a few hours in one of the lounges to relax and deal off any issues that will no-doubt surface when clients realise I'm out of office.

So I'm just wondering what's the best way to go about getting a bit more time at Heathrow? As it's a flight+hotel I'm unsure if it can be booked over the phone and if then can even alter the flights offered by the system? Or would it be easier to just go and book it and then try have the first sector changed over the phone afterwards?

I've had a look on Matrix and the 831 from Dublin, transferring onto the 177 gives me a handy 3:55 at Heathrow, which is ideally the combo I'd like to get my hands on.
If you are looking at flights via the BA holidays site can't you click on change/select other flights? I thought that should bring up several other connection options you can choose from.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Have you tried selecting flight only to get the times of the flights you want and then add a hotel further into the booking process rather than starting with the flight+hotel option?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:15 am
Formerly known as ahoban
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
If you are looking at flights via the BA holidays site can't you click on change/select other flights? I thought that should bring up several other connection options you can choose from.
Each 10 options have exactly a 60 minute transfer time, I've tried several dates but getting the same options for each.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Have you tried selecting flight only to get the times of the flights you want and then add a hotel further into the booking process rather than starting with the flight+hotel option?
Have tried, getting identical options either way. I can get 1:25 max, but it means arriving in after 10pm.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
That's the Holiday Planner trying to be helpful. You could do it flight only but you may lose out on saving money

You could book the holiday from LHR and book separate flights to/from DUB

Last edited by vibrex; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
This is what I always do. ^

I travel almost exclusively on leisure so I tend to leave at least two hours between flights if possible. No Home Alone-style terminal dashes for me on holiday!

The tab to book flight+hotel options on the homepage will give you the tightest connections by default, so try to avoid it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:12 pm
Formerly known as ahoban
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vibrex
You could book the holiday from LHR and book separate flights to/from DUB
Was thinking this myself, however after checking.. The difference is well over €1000 per person.

Originally Posted by paul4040
I travel almost exclusively on leisure so I tend to leave at least two hours between flights if possible. No Home Alone-style terminal dashes for me on holiday!
Since in the past hour my partners family have decided to travel with us I now have very vivid visions of a manic terminal dash.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, FB, QANTAS, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, AVIS Preferred, MRAeS
[QUOTE=ahoban;23320381]Was thinking this myself, however after checking.. The difference is well over €1000 per person.

Ouch!

It may be worth trying to book over the phone if you are still looking for more time between flights?

Last edited by vibrex; Aug 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm Reason: Addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.