FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Take the downgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1600414-take-downgrade.html)

our_kid Aug 5, 2014 10:12 am

Take the downgrade?

Hi All

Great long weekend in the States drawing to a close - been fun.

Just checked in at CHS for the home routing (on US via DUB) and there was some issue with my reservation which meant they had no record of me flying.

Superb service from Anita M at CHS got me reinstated but Coach all the way which means 24E on the 757 overnight to DUB as no space in F.

Do I take it and then claim for downgrade or push at CLT to see if a First seat opens up?

Thoughts please! Goodness knows what's going to happen with TPs and Avios after this as outbound hasn't posted either! Happy Days!!!

golfmad Aug 5, 2014 10:44 am

I suppose it all depends on who was at fault that caused the 'problem'. If it was the airline, then I'd wait for a better routing if I could afford the time and hassle. If the fault was yours (heaven forbid!) then take anything they'll give you.

Good luck. Let us know what happened that caused the problem and what you end up doing...

paulwuk Aug 5, 2014 10:49 am

You're flying US, so no EU261 protection. You're at their mercy.

windowontheAside Aug 5, 2014 10:55 am

Hmmm... I got downgraded by US in June (due to irrops) and so far I've had zero response to my efforts for a refund apart from an initial automated response telling me their "current response time is 3-5 business days".

Hope you get sorted out - I suppose it all hinges on what caused the problem, and how urgently you need to get home.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 5, 2014 11:09 am

Yes, we are missing a few details here, so let me make them up just to allow me to speculate pointlessly. It is probably wholly wrong.

So you travelled I guess on a AA issued ticket, outbound let's say on BA metal using LCY, and now you are returing on US metal to DUB.

So somewhere down the line some aspect of your outbound did not register so the rest of the trip was cancelled. Now I assume you did do the DUB to LHR sector? And that you didn't do anything like go on standby on the outbound from JFK to CLT? Or perhaps you missed CLT to CHS? And then not reconfirm the ticket/check on the App for status? My guess it was something on the outbound that then wiped the rest of your ticket.

This then leaves you with a cancelled ticket on a non EU carrier, so your downgrade is at the tender mercies of the DOT regulations - which if you are blameless for this will give you some recompense - though I'm not an expert on this. You're outwith EU261/2004, that's for sure.

You also risk getting Y TPs and Avios for the return, but eventually you will get a refund of the delta between fares - which may not be generous - but normally the rule in the US is you get the Miles/Avios that you flew rather than what you originally paid for. Exceptions exist but not many!

So all in all, I very much hope you are able to charm your way into First at CLT. 757 overnight on US Airways on a trans Atlantic in Y is fairly close to my worst nightmare......

Doc Savage Aug 5, 2014 11:21 am

Unless you booked with Avios, why are you asking this question on the BA forum? Suggest you ask on the US Air forum, where people have dealt with these issues.

golfmad Aug 5, 2014 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23314097)
Unless you booked with Avios, why are you asking this question on the BA forum? Suggest you ask on the US Air forum, where people have dealt with these issues.

There was a reference in the OP's question to TPs and Avios so not entirely unreasonable to ask in this forum?

LondonElite Aug 5, 2014 12:02 pm

I suppose it comes down to what the 'some issue' really is.

If you missed a segment or were guilty of sequential ticketing breaches, I think you're at Anita's mercy. If it's a US computer snafu, I'd hang around for a better option than a transatlantic 757 in economy (dear Lord!)

Do you really want to/need to end up in DUB?

our_kid Aug 5, 2014 2:06 pm

Yes c-w-s it was the JFK-CLT sector that blew it - charming my way on to an earlier flight (I blame the FT mini-do on BA001!!). I did actually call AA to check everything was OK the other day, as it did all look OK with the AA record locator even though the US one looked suspect and they said "just fix it at the airport" - I didn't expect the downgrade etc though.

The 757 is full, the guys tried here at CLT - and you know what, I am just grateful to be heading home - I've got an exit row seat and yes I do deserve a refund of the fare difference which I can sort in due course - Avios and TPs I can take up with BA when I get home.

It's a first world problem :)

As for 757 in Coach, must have been 1990 or so last time I did that - on some dreadful charter flight or something! Plan is to get straight to sleep - or maybe I am being naive :)

our_kid Aug 5, 2014 2:08 pm

Oh and LondonElite - I'm travelling on an I7SALE ticket ex DUB - trying to make life easier for myself I chose the TATL back with US this evening straight to DUB with a RFS back to LHR later that morning :)

crazy8534 Aug 5, 2014 3:02 pm

What a shame, I think you have a good attitude to the whole thing though our_kid so at least you won't explode a blood vessel!

corporate-wage-slave Aug 5, 2014 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by our_kid (Post 23315142)
Yes c-w-s it was the JFK-CLT sector that blew it - charming my way on to an earlier flight (I blame the FT mini-do on BA001!!). I did actually call AA to check everything was OK the other day, as it did all look OK with the AA record locator even though the US one looked suspect and they said "just fix it at the airport" - I didn't expect the downgrade etc though.

Well of course if you glimpse into the FT archives back to 1764 you will see a good reference to standby re-routes. There are 2 ways of doing them, the right way and the wrong way. The wrong way involves creating a new sector on your ticket and leaving the original sector in place - I guess it's easier to do it that way. So you no-show and ker-pow! out goes your return. You were doubly unlucky when you contacted AA, since it should have stuck out like a sore thumb and they should have reinstated it immediately rather than fob you off. I say that wa AA's fault / incompetence so you should whinge to your heart's content. This is the most basic error in the book.

I'm teetotal but I think I'd be necking back the whisky in your shoes now. I admire your sangfroid, though you have yet to do the flight I guess. Oh well, you'll survive, apparently.

our_kid Aug 5, 2014 4:18 pm

Update from 3A :)

Lucky lucky boy - and fair play to the US Airways gate agents - very happy with that result indeed.

Quite comfy on this 757 up here - am looking forward to a racy takeoff, Guy Garvey on Desert Island Discs podcast and my book!

So happy :)

our_kid Aug 5, 2014 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534 (Post 23315383)
What a shame, I think you have a good attitude to the whole thing though our_kid so at least you won't explode a blood vessel!

Thank you! I wasn't cross at all - these things happen! Although I admit to looking quite dejected at the gate :)

layz Aug 5, 2014 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by our_kid (Post 23315803)
Update from 3A :)

Lucky lucky boy - and fair play to the US Airways gate agents - very happy with that result indeed.

Quite comfy on this 757 up here - am looking forward to a racy takeoff, Guy Garvey on Desert Island Discs podcast and my book!

So happy :)

Good result in the end. It's good when being calm and relaxed pays off and someone helpful sorts everything out.