Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How am I meant to get maximum Bloody Mary action?

How am I meant to get maximum Bloody Mary action?

Old Aug 5, 14, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Cool How am I meant to get maximum Bloody Mary action?

I am on the 06:20 LHR-MAD on Thursday, and as this is a leisure trip I aim to take full advantage of a few pre-flight Bloody Mary injections.

BUT ALAS, I now realise that the LHR lounges only open at 5AM! Shocking. So i'll be forced to drink rapidly in a most undignified manner for 45 minutes straight.

Any creative solutions? (4 cans of special brew sitting opposite check in doesn't count)

Also, a query: is there anywhere in MAD T4 where I can have a beer sitting outside while in transit to a domestic IB flight?

Cheers ^
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
*cringe*
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by DrBenO View Post

Any creative solutions? (4 cans of special brew sitting opposite check in doesn't count)
Use an empty bottle of water or take a flask.

The size of which I leave down to you !
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I am on the 06:20 LHR-MAD on Thursday, and as this is a leisure trip I aim to take full advantage of a few pre-flight Bloody Mary injections.

BUT ALAS, I now realise that the LHR lounges only open at 5AM! Shocking. So i'll be forced to drink rapidly in a most undignified manner for 45 minutes straight.

Also, a query: is there anywhere in MAD T4 where I can have a beer sitting outside while in transit to a domestic IB flight?

Cheers ^
Go slowly, pace yourself out and have a few on the plane, there's plenty of opportunities to drink on BA

I don't know anywhere outside in MAD T4 you can enjoy a beer outside.

MUC on the other hand has a nice microbrewery. I recommend you fly Lufthansa and leave a long connection
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
How is this a problem? If you had four bloody marys the way I make them, in the 45 minutes from 5am, I guarantee that you will be asleep for most, if not all, of the flight to MAD.

Remember to add a tiny splash of sherry before you add the tomato juice.
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
How is this a problem? If you had four bloody marys the way I make them, in the 45 minutes from 5am, I guarantee that you will be asleep for most, if not all, of the flight to MAD.

Remember to add a tiny splash of sherry before you add the tomato juice.
ssshhhh, I encourage responsible drinking so there's some left when I get in the lounge

BTW try the Castlenau, superb. Don't bother with the other stuff, trust me, just don't
Old Aug 5, 14, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hhonors Gold
Thanks! Excellent advice all round! ^

dc2447 - I'm sure one of the companies I work with is developing a new drug for that pernicious cringe problem: I'll keep you updated.
Old Aug 5, 14, 10:50 am

Why not buy the ingredients at home and get up at 3am to drink before you leave if it is that important. Or make up 10 each no larger than 100ml and put in hand luggage before you leave home. Not an expensive drink to make if money is the issue.
Old Aug 5, 14, 11:36 am

Are you in CE to MAD?
How many do you need - could you just use a bigger glass and stronger measure?
I'd be careful even re empty water bottles through security, they are a-holes. You'd need to grab one from lounge or Pret.

IBZ connection per chance?
Old Aug 5, 14, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
To make the most of the lounge perhaps you could fly the night before?
Old Aug 5, 14, 11:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Tit/ LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold
Just start drinking at 4pm the day before.
Old Aug 5, 14, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by cazoz View Post
I'd be careful even re empty water bottles through security, they are a-holes. You'd need to grab one from lounge or Pret.
Are you talking an empty clear plastic single-use bottle like you'd buy from WH Smith or Pret (Buxton, etc.), or an empty proper water bottle (plastic or metal) designed to be used many many times?

I've brought both through security at just about every airport I've ever been through and no one has ever said anything. The security officer on the land side of the X-rays often asks if the bottle is empty if it's visible on the side of a bag, but otherwise, nothing at all.
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Thank you DrBenO. I have always wondered who drinks that early in the lounge as I prepare 2 strong expressos ahead of a day of boredom in AMS or GVA. I did assume it was people on different time zones, but in fact it was you!! See you on Thursday!
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:15 pm

Are you on a BA plane, or an Iberia plane with a BA code share? If the latter and you're not in Club, you will NOT get any free drinks on board so even more critical that you stock up 'adequately' in the lounge.
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Cheers ^

Hope you are still sober enough to catch your connection in MAD.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: