Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios.com extra Y redemption availability (via G fare bucket)...

Old Aug 3, 14, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Avios.com extra Y redemption availability (via G fare bucket) - did this get enhanced recently?

EF shows me G1 for the last VCE-LGW next Sunday (10 Aug) yet this isn't bookable at Avios.com
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Second example:

DUS-LCY on Sun 10 Aug:

J4 C4 D4 R4 IC Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 N1 QC OC S9 G9

No redemption seats available at BA.com, I'd have expected to be able to see those G9 seats bookable at Avios.com but they aren't there (?)
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BA
Wouldn't you be able to book those at ba.com with 9 V class seats?
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501 View Post
Wouldn't you be able to book those at ba.com with 9 V class seats?
Yes, good point, I can see those V9 seats when logged in at BAEC; I should have been more specific and said "standard redemption seats".

I have Avios stuck in an Avios.com HHA and I'm trying to use them up at the moment, and often the G availability bucket gives good or better availability than the extra Gold redemption availability via the V bucket.

My question still stands though: is G availability no longer available for redemptions via Avios.com?

Real if they've enhanced this with no notice.
Old Aug 3, 14, 11:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Yes there have been a few reports of this, doesn't seem to always be the case.

Your guide to spending Avios | 2014
Old Aug 3, 14, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, QF LTG
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
My question still stands though: is G availability no longer available for redemptions via Avios.com?
My fear is that this may have been enhanced recently. For a number of years I have enjoyed short haul redemptions via Avios.com which have, without fail, booked into G class.

Last week I booked a one-way flight and it is showing on MMB as X class. I haven't tried to make any other bookings since, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if others continue to find the same thing.
Old Aug 3, 14, 2:30 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by inasmuchas View Post
Last week I booked a one-way flight and it is showing on MMB as X class. I haven't tried to make any other bookings since, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if others continue to find the same thing.
If there is both standard award availability (X inventory) and G inventory, then Avios.com will book into X first.
Old Aug 3, 14, 2:54 pm
ECR

I only discovered by accident in the past few months about extra availability on Avios.com (which I assume is this G fare bucket mentioned). I had always previously booked on BA.com. I found there were lots and lots more flights on Avios.com.

In the past few weeks though I haven't found a single reward BA flight on Avios.com that hasn't been on BA.com.
Old Aug 7, 14, 3:08 am
Original Poster

During a webchat with an Avios.com rep, I had this change confirmed:

We're not offering G class currently on Avios redemptions, this may change.
Nice enhancement

Old Aug 23, 14, 12:50 pm
ECR

Quote: We're not offering G class currently on Avios redemptions, this may change.

Nice enhancement

I wonder will it ever change or has G class availability gone for good.

I assume these flights cost Avios.com more money than the normal ones and that is why the have now gone. Maybe if they do ever return it will be at a higher cost for example charge 50% more avios and call them "premium economy".
Old Aug 23, 14, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Nice enhancement

That is very bad. I did notice since end of July the G availability in Avios.com seems to be dried out. I thought it was a seasonal thing (summer peak travel). If they are to do it away with the G class redemption, it will make me think twice about parking my miles in BA and Avios! Not a disaster but still painful.
Old Aug 23, 14, 8:21 pm

Avios was (is) a travel agent so I presume that is he reason they had access to different fare buckets.

Probably took someone high up to realise and put the kibosh on it. Better to reduce availability than have inconsistency.

Still I still can't fathom why they have two different ways of redeeming avios. Have one website and be done with it.
Old Aug 24, 14, 2:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 View Post
Avios was (is) a travel agent so I presume that is he reason they had access to different fare buckets.

Still I still can't fathom why they have two different ways of redeeming avios. Have one website and be done with it.
I can not tell you exactly why. But one can assume the 3rd Level Leisure G fare (Avios G fare) is cheaper or on the same level of X fare.

Avios.com is not charged the ordinary G fare but 3rd level leisure G fare when they issue a redemption ticket.

Avios.com is independent from executive club so it makes perfect sense that they have access to a designated fare class. If 3rd level leisure G fare is taken away it would be the end of Avios.com booking for me. All my avios will be transferred to BA.com.
Old Aug 24, 14, 2:35 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I understood that the availability of the G bucket was an attempt to increase other sales such as Hotels, car hire etc.
If it was just being used to snaffle last min. Flights then that strategy obviously wasn't working, and may have been undermining revenue... From the company perspective.
Old Sep 1, 14, 1:24 am
ECR

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
I understood that the availability of the G bucket was an attempt to increase other sales such as Hotels, car hire etc.
Someone has posted on headforpoints this morning suggesting that G bucket is still available when booking these as a package.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: