FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Avios.com extra Y redemption availability (via G fare bucket)... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1599833-avios-com-extra-y-redemption-availability-via-g-fare-bucket.html)

shorthauldad Aug 3, 2014 10:55 am

Avios.com extra Y redemption availability (via G fare bucket)...

Avios.com extra Y redemption availability (via G fare bucket) - did this get enhanced recently?

EF shows me G1 for the last VCE-LGW next Sunday (10 Aug) yet this isn't bookable at Avios.com

shorthauldad Aug 3, 2014 11:14 am

Second example:

DUS-LCY on Sun 10 Aug:

J4 C4 D4 R4 IC Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 N1 QC OC S9 G9

No redemption seats available at BA.com, I'd have expected to be able to see those G9 seats bookable at Avios.com but they aren't there (?)

BA6501 Aug 3, 2014 11:29 am

Wouldn't you be able to book those at ba.com with 9 V class seats?

shorthauldad Aug 3, 2014 11:41 am

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 23303203)
Wouldn't you be able to book those at ba.com with 9 V class seats?

Yes, good point, I can see those V9 seats when logged in at BAEC; I should have been more specific and said "standard redemption seats".

I have Avios stuck in an Avios.com HHA and I'm trying to use them up at the moment, and often the G availability bucket gives good or better availability than the extra Gold redemption availability via the V bucket.

My question still stands though: is G availability no longer available for redemptions via Avios.com?

Real :td: if they've enhanced this with no notice.

nux Aug 3, 2014 11:57 am

Yes there have been a few reports of this, doesn't seem to always be the case.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post23160924

inasmuchas Aug 3, 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 23303252)
My question still stands though: is G availability no longer available for redemptions via Avios.com?

My fear is that this may have been enhanced recently. For a number of years I have enjoyed short haul redemptions via Avios.com which have, without fail, booked into G class.

Last week I booked a one-way flight and it is showing on MMB as X class. I haven't tried to make any other bookings since, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if others continue to find the same thing.

nux Aug 3, 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by inasmuchas (Post 23303908)
Last week I booked a one-way flight and it is showing on MMB as X class. I haven't tried to make any other bookings since, but will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if others continue to find the same thing.

If there is both standard award availability (X inventory) and G inventory, then Avios.com will book into X first.

ECR Aug 3, 2014 2:54 pm

I only discovered by accident in the past few months about extra availability on Avios.com (which I assume is this G fare bucket mentioned). I had always previously booked on BA.com. I found there were lots and lots more flights on Avios.com.

In the past few weeks though I haven't found a single reward BA flight on Avios.com that hasn't been on BA.com.

shorthauldad Aug 7, 2014 3:08 am

During a webchat with an Avios.com rep, I had this change confirmed:

We're not offering G class currently on Avios redemptions, this may change.
Nice enhancement :td:

:confused:

ECR Aug 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 23323700)

Quote: We're not offering G class currently on Avios redemptions, this may change.

I wonder will it ever change or has G class availability gone for good.

I assume these flights cost Avios.com more money than the normal ones and that is why the have now gone. Maybe if they do ever return it will be at a higher cost for example charge 50% more avios and call them "premium economy".

FlyerTalker688786 Aug 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by shorthauldad (Post 23323700)

That is very bad. I did notice since end of July the G availability in Avios.com seems to be dried out. I thought it was a seasonal thing (summer peak travel). If they are to do it away with the G class redemption, it will make me think twice about parking my miles in BA and Avios! Not a disaster but still painful.

kitbag1984 Aug 23, 2014 8:21 pm

Avios was (is) a travel agent so I presume that is he reason they had access to different fare buckets.

Probably took someone high up to realise and put the kibosh on it. Better to reduce availability than have inconsistency.

Still I still can't fathom why they have two different ways of redeeming avios. Have one website and be done with it.

FlyerTalker688786 Aug 24, 2014 2:26 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 23413426)
Avios was (is) a travel agent so I presume that is he reason they had access to different fare buckets.

Still I still can't fathom why they have two different ways of redeeming avios. Have one website and be done with it.

I can not tell you exactly why. But one can assume the 3rd Level Leisure G fare (Avios G fare) is cheaper or on the same level of X fare.

Avios.com is not charged the ordinary G fare but 3rd level leisure G fare when they issue a redemption ticket.

Avios.com is independent from executive club so it makes perfect sense that they have access to a designated fare class. If 3rd level leisure G fare is taken away it would be the end of Avios.com booking for me. All my avios will be transferred to BA.com.

Skipcool3 Aug 24, 2014 2:35 am

I understood that the availability of the G bucket was an attempt to increase other sales such as Hotels, car hire etc.
If it was just being used to snaffle last min. Flights then that strategy obviously wasn't working, and may have been undermining revenue... From the company perspective.

ECR Sep 1, 2014 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 (Post 23414185)
I understood that the availability of the G bucket was an attempt to increase other sales such as Hotels, car hire etc.

Someone has posted on headforpoints this morning suggesting that G bucket is still available when booking these as a package.