Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CW menu ex-LGW this month?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Question CW menu ex-LGW this month?

If anyone can tell me what's on the CW menu for flights between LGW & UVF (St. Lucia) in August I would greatly appreciate it. It will be my wife's first experience of CW, but she has dietary requirements that don't align well with the special meal options. On most, but not all, of my CW flights there has been something on the standard menu which would suit her. However, all my experience has been ex-LHR and I believe the menus are different ex-LGW. In any event, there have been rare occasions when nothing would have suited her.

To be specific, we're flying out on August 16th and returning August 25th. She's a pescetarian (that is, a non-meat-eater but happy with fish or veggie meals) but also can't eat wheat. The vegetarian special meals often include pasta or pastry, so they are ruled out, and gluten-free usually means meat & potatoes or rice as far as I can see. However, the normal menu ex-LHR usually includes a fish option that would be fine or occasionally a veg one.

Trying to work out whether to order a special meal or not, and would like to avoid it if we can. Thanks for any information anyone can provide!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You might want to take a look at some of the most recent posts on this thread and see if any LGW menus have been posted there

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...a-travels.html
Old Aug 2, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Have you tried calling customer relations and asking them? If nobody can answer you on the specific, wouldn't ordering her something like Hindu, Asian vegetarian, Jain, or raw be the safest bets?

Of the four mains, two are usually meat (one is sometimes fish but it is the exception rather than the rule), the third vegetarian hot is most frequently pasta although it is a vegetarian curry (probably the same you would get if ordering Indian vegetarian anyway) in about 1/3 of cases, and the salad seems to vary between chicken and seafood - so if you don't order a special meal, there is a significant chance she would not get anything suitable.

Moreover, as you know, if she is indeed gluten intolerant then there is zero chance that she can eat either the afternoon tea outbound or the breakfast return so I'm not sure she would have much of a fun time.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You might want to take a look at some of the most recent posts on this thread and see if any LGW menus have been posted there

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...a-travels.html
Thanks - I had already looked there but no luck. I do recall a thread dedicated to CW catering but couldn't locate it, and in any event it hasn't been updated for some time.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Have you tried calling customer relations and asking them? If nobody can answer you on the specific, wouldn't ordering her something like Hindu, Asian vegetarian, Jain, or raw be the safest bets?

Moreover, as you know, if she is indeed gluten intolerant then there is zero chance that she can eat either the afternoon tea outbound or the breakfast return so I'm not sure she would have much of a fun time.
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try calling. It hadn't occurred to me to ask since they do seem reluctant to make the menus public. (As a somewhat offtopic aside, that's one thing I find very helpful about East Coast, the UK rail operator that's the alternative to flying LON-EDI - their menu rotations are online for some months ahead.)

The Asian vegetarian is probably what we would opt for if going for a special meal. We're aware of the problems with afternoon tea & breakfast but they are more easily got round by bringing a snack on board (and she's not a great one for breakfast anyway, unlike me.) The gluten-free bread replacements that BA provide are inedible according to reports I've seen elsewhere on FT. They aren't alone in that regard - there are some excellent GF breads but many don't deserve to be called bread.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cziwkga
Thanks - I had already looked there but no luck. I do recall a thread dedicated to CW catering but couldn't locate it, and in any event it hasn't been updated for some time.
Whoops. It was the catering thread I thought I was linking too.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try calling. It hadn't occurred to me to ask since they do seem reluctant to make the menus public.
To be honest, I have never asked before a regular CW flight, but I know that YouFirst will answer that query in case of F flights as does the LCY Business Team in the case of CWLCY so I would hope that they might be able to help if they want to for normal CW too? For info, for CWLCY they say menus become available to them at the end of the month before the flight.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try calling. It hadn't occurred to me to ask since they do seem reluctant to make the menus public. (As a somewhat offtopic aside, that's one thing I find very helpful about East Coast, the UK rail operator that's the alternative to flying LON-EDI - their menu rotations are online for some months ahead.)
I've never understood why the menus aren't online for BA. I find the East Coast rotation table very useful when I need to make a trip - and the food is reasonable quality for a train.

Are BA ashamed of their offering?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I saw someone next to me having a seafood breakfast CE meal to Malta from LGW last month. It looked and smelt disgusting. It appeared to be salmon. Who eats hot salmon at 10:00 am!

I'm a pescetarian but I wouldn't change my dietary requirements away from lacto-ovo as the seafood on evert CE or CW flight would do my head in..
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Dicksbits
I saw someone next to me having a seafood breakfast CE meal to Malta from LGW last month. It looked and smelt disgusting. It appeared to be salmon. Who eats hot salmon at 10:00 am!

I'm a pescetarian but I wouldn't change my dietary requirements away from lacto-ovo as the seafood on evert CE or CW flight would do my head in..
Seafood meals wouldn't work for the OP's wife anyway as it frequently includes a seafood pasta dish and she is gluten-intolerant.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. Looks like I'll need to call - but if anyone does come across this thread and has a recent & relevant menu to hand, all info will be appreciated!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 3:13 pm

Starters are crab or feta

Goan chicken curry
Fillet of beef
Tomato pasta
Tuna salad

Peach Melba
Cheese
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks muchly, lgw29. Looks like it's special meal time if she wants a hot option. MMB here I come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.