Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: New Requirements For Travel With Under 18s to/from South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA IHG

Slightly on topic since BA fly there and it is a fairly popular route. I don't travel with under 18s myself so not sure how much of this is actually new - but seems quite restrictive to me.

New rules from 01 October, 2014.
Basically must travel with unabridged birth certificate, and if only with one parent must have a signed affidavit (dated within 3 months) from the other parent. All docs must have a sworn English translation if in a foreign language.

More details from SAA newsletter here:
http://www.flysaa.com/za/en/planmytr...-under-18.html

A) What do the regulations say about parents travelling with children?
B) What do the regulations say about children travelling with one parent?
C) What do the regulations say about persons travelling with a child who is not their biological child?
D) What do the regulations say about children travelling as unaccompanied minors?
E) What do the regulations say about two unused pages in the passport?
F) What will happen to a passenger not in possession of these documents?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA
The tourism industry is up in arms about this as it's utterly crazy. I thought it was going to be postponed. If it's enforced as it stands there'll be dozens of people denied boarding or entry for every flight.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
F) What will happen to a passenger not in possession of these documents?

An immigration officer shall refuse any person contemplated in sub regulation (9) or who does not comply with sub regulation (10), to depart from the Republic.

===

I can see this not going down well.

What happens when parents or one parent turn up in SA with their 16 or 17 year old child prior to 1 October, then wish to leave after 1 October?

Almost certainly, they will not have the correct documentation to leave.

So you will have adult parents, who want to leave. You will have a 16 or 17 year old, almost an adult, who wants to leave and says the people standing next to him/her are his/her parents. But they will not be allowed to leave.

I can see South Africa looking really, really stupid when this happens. And it is going to happen unless there is a rethink.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by SoundMuppet
The tourism industry is up in arms about this as it's utterly crazy. I thought it was going to be postponed.
ISTR that it has already been postponed once, but clearly the powers that be have not been persuaded that the change should be abandoned altogether.

I too do not have a good feeling about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.