FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA holidays payment (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1598801-ba-holidays-payment.html)

Rogerrobberts Jul 30, 2014 10:29 am

BA holidays payment

Afternoon,
I have a BA holiday booking for October with full payment due next month of 5k, I'm currently having a big extension done and withdrawing large amounts of cash for builders ECT , which is going to leave me short to pay the holiday until I get paid 11 days after the due date, I wondered if anyone had any experience. Of BA - 1. Cancelling the booking straight after the due date 2. Allowing a "grace" period .
Will be pretty annoying losing the deposit and the payments I've made, and the fact if I was to rebook the holiday it's now gone up about 2k..!

Gold77 Jul 30, 2014 10:37 am

Maybe easier to delay payment to the builders? At least they do not have formal procedures - and they will finish your extension late anyway :)

Joke aside, I have no experience of BA hols but most merchants present payment a second time when the first one was declined. Typically 5 days later both for cards and direct debit. Have you tried to call them though? Can't see why they would not be sympathetic.

pazza2000 Jul 30, 2014 10:38 am

A bit of effort involved, though you could purchase 3V cards on a credit card. These can immediately be used towards BA Holidays (albeit there has been reports of some minor difficulties). You would then have at least 4 weeks to pay off the 3V purchase on your credit card. You could also earn some clubcard points etc along the way...

Josh Davis Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am

I accidentally left a holiday unpaid for approx one week before. I was called a couple of times on my mobile from a number that looks like one of the frequent cold calls everyone gets in the UK, so I left it unanswered. When I finally picked up it was some nice man at BA asking if I wanted to pay now. Don't know what would have happened if I'd have said no...

Of course, I'm not advising you to miss your payment because it will be fine, but noting that BA did not cancel my particular holiday straight away :)

Josh Davis Jul 30, 2014 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Gold77 (Post 23282154)
Maybe easier to delay payment to the builders? At least they do not have formal procedures - and they will finish your extension late anyway :)

Joke aside, I have no experience of BA hols but most merchants present payment a second time when the first one was declined. Typically 5 days later both for cards and direct debit. Have you tried to call them though? Can't see why they would not be sympathetic.

I don't think they call for the payment automatically, you have to proactively make the payment, in my experience

Calchas Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Rogerrobberts (Post 23282095)
Afternoon,
I have a BA holiday booking for October with full payment due next month of 5k, I'm currently having a big extension done and withdrawing large amounts of cash for builders ECT , which is going to leave me short to pay the holiday until I get paid 11 days after the due date, I wondered if anyone had any experience. Of BA - 1. Cancelling the booking straight after the due date 2. Allowing a "grace" period .
Will be pretty annoying losing the deposit and the payments I've made, and the fact if I was to rebook the holiday it's now gone up about 2k..!

Can you (part) pay on your AmEx card? Check the billing cycle date of course.

AmEx will move your billing cycle date if you ask nicely, not sure if it can be done on 11 day timescale though.

mikeyfly Oct 21, 2018 10:38 am

Quick question - I have a lumpy holiday balance due on 22/11.

Based on previous sale history (inc Black Friday - this year its 23/11) there has been some decent deals last week of November. If you miss the due date by a short time is there a grace period / polite chase? Or does it all get cancelled!? Any recent experiences?

Chris9642 Oct 21, 2018 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 30339558)
Quick question - I have a lumpy holiday balance due on 22/11.

Based on previous sale history (inc Black Friday - this year its 23/11) there has been some decent deals last week of November. If you miss the due date by a short time is there a grace period / polite chase? Or does it all get cancelled!? Any recent experiences?

Intestesting to see what happens - I accidentally missed mine by 5 days a few weeks ago and nothing happened (no guarantee this is the norm though) - just paid when I remembered - I wonder at what point they would be proactively cancelling the booking.

geordiejetsetter Oct 21, 2018 10:59 am

I’ve also accidentally missed the payment date by a week or so (thinking it was the following month) and nothing happened. No chaser emails, no cancellation, no follow up calls etc.

I wouldnt want to push it but also made me wonder if anyone has ever been chased by BA Holidays for payment or do they just cancel?

bisonrav Oct 21, 2018 11:05 am

You can get a zero percent purchase rate credit card usually in about 5 working days (or get a balance transfer card, my current favourite is Santander which has 23 months interest free credit zero fee with transfers allowed at any time during that period). So there are plenty of ways of getting a few K credit available. Then you're less dependent on the kindness of strangers.

Cris L Oct 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Funny topic as I just paid the balance on my holiday booking. It was due this coming Tuesday.

I have been getting email reminders every 2 days or so for about the last week, and I didn’t want to quite push it.

Last year, with my holiday booking I called and asked specifically if I could delay the final payment by about a week and was told no problem at all. I specifically asked them to make notes in the reservation and even stated the exact date I’d make final payment! Can’t recall now why I needed to delay...

They were ever so friendly about it!

RDinJER Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by geordiejetsetter (Post 30339612)
I wouldnt want to push it but also made me wonder if anyone has ever been chased by BA Holidays for payment or do they just cancel?

Last month I had follow up emails and then a text and phone call at 10 days. The lady laughed when I said I was hanging on for my Amex membership year to tick over and said no problem with that- I paid at 12 days after the 'due' date.

Anonba Oct 21, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Rogerrobberts (Post 23282095)
Afternoon,

Despite what others have advised do not take the risk. BA holidays do cancel bookings if you do not pay in time. Advise you call in advance but dont just do nothing and think things will be ok. These kinds of assumptions with bookings are where things go wrong!

KeaneJohn Oct 22, 2018 1:19 am

I’ve been told that t if you ask and there’s no liability to BA 35 days out they are happy to extend the deadline by up,to a week as I was mortified at getting my payday wrong by 2 days. I made sure that after I’d gone online to pay the balance I called them but don’t think anything came of the call.

mikeyfly Oct 22, 2018 2:04 am

Thanks for all the tips! I've had the money put aside since booking - the funds is not an issue; I would however lose £300 deposit if the booking could be £5/600 cheaper and not have to position to INV :)

Maybe I'll call a week or so before and request a small extension