Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail and LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Will HEX and Crossrail share platforms at T2/3? With 2 T5 trains per hour that would be 1 from each of the two eastern routes... Clearly better to switch at LHR if possible, given 6 trains per hour to T5 from there
Yes. The plan is cross rail will use the HEX platforms at T2/3.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Beaulieu
Probably doable but I imagine you'd have have issues with the radii of the curves required and the resulting limited speeds thereby reducing the number of paths available on the GWML due to the need to accelerate back up to linespeed vs through trains already doing 125 (as the linespeed increases up to that around Southall).
So I found it:
https://goo.gl/maps/nWbNNv1Qadq

You'd have to buy out Ocado West Drayton and the other businesses in that quadrangle between the present spur to the east, the lake to the south, the mainline to the north, and Stockley Road to the west. And I can see that the existing bridge over the mainline for Stockley Road might cause difficulties, particularly if you want something as complex as the points they've set up on the way west to London. But would it really be harder and more expensive to fit something in there than digging a 5.5 mile tunnel?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
You've got to also consider the cost of remodelling the railway in that area which is already complicated - and has just been substantially upgraded with resignalling and overhead catenary (to facilitate GWR electric services to Maidenhead recently started)...

Overall the cost/benefit is probably on the side of a tunnel.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Crossrail fares will match Tube prices across most of London but Heathrow passengers will be charged a premium, it was announced today.

Travelling between the airport and zone 1 in central London at peak times will cost £12.10 - £7 more than the same journey on the Piccadilly line.

Passengers travelling between zone 2 and the airport will pay a Heathrow premium of £4.50 compared with the Tube.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a3791496.html
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
This is a big U-Turn for TfL who said the prices would be the same as the tube.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
"Mayor Sadiq Khan said: “I’m delighted to announce that the cost of travelling on the Elizabeth Line in zones 1-6 will be the same price as a similar journey on the Tube – fulfilling a key manifesto pledge to deliver truly world-class transport infrastructure which is also accessible and affordable for all Londoners.”

They're still saying the prices will be the same as the tube...!
Calchas likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
Surely this is going to result in a lowering of prices from HEx?! A 30 day advance fare Paddington - LHR is £12.20 plus my £2.40 to get down to Paddington, but Crossrail will be £2.50 cheaper as a walk-up fare and therefore only worth booking well in advance if you can get a £5.50, 90 day advance ticket. I never get the Connect as it is twice as long and I always book in advance so rarely cheaper, but I can only really see corporate types arriving at Paddington in a cab paying the £25ish walk on fare, everyone else would be getting a through-ticket from town? I would imagine that someone coming from town would be better of changing at LHR for T5 rather than Paddington although I suppose we will have to wait and see how the interchanges are at the various stations in terms of ease of navigating the system with luggage.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Other than LHR they are the same as tube prices. It also mirrors the current Heathrow Connect pricing structure. Crossrail never made a commitment that fares to LHR would match the tube fares but would compare to the Connect pricing structure - which is also outside of the tube pricing structure (and freedom / travel passes) didn't include trips to LHR.

I'll happily pay the supplement of £7 to save 1/2 an hour on a Farringdon - T5 trip rather than the district and Piccadilly lines.

Here is the Mayor's Decision Record that was actually published on the 2nd of March.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by JustTheOne
"Mayor Sadiq Khan said: “I’m delighted to announce that the cost of travelling on the Elizabeth Line in zones 1-6 will be the same price as a similar journey on the Tube – fulfilling a key manifesto pledge to deliver truly world-class transport infrastructure which is also accessible and affordable for all Londoners.”

They're still saying the prices will be the same as the tube...!
The zone 1-6 price cap will be the same but the single fare will be higher. This means if you're travelling around London before heading to the airport you'll not pay more than £12.50 all day, that's the same cap as the Tube and covers all TfL modes except the cable car and National Rail within the zones.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MrMutton
Surely this is going to result in a lowering of prices from HEx?! A 30 day advance fare Paddington - LHR is £12.20 plus my £2.40 to get down to Paddington, but Crossrail will be £2.50 cheaper as a walk-up fare and therefore only worth booking well in advance if you can get a £5.50, 90 day advance ticket. I never get the Connect as it is twice as long and I always book in advance so rarely cheaper, but I can only really see corporate types arriving at Paddington in a cab paying the £25ish walk on fare, everyone else would be getting a through-ticket from town? I would imagine that someone coming from town would be better of changing at LHR for T5 rather than Paddington although I suppose we will have to wait and see how the interchanges are at the various stations in terms of ease of navigating the system with luggage.
People still take Gatwick Express. I don't think Crossrail will have Advance fares.

If you are coming from or need to go somewhere on the Piccadilly or District lines taking the tube still makes sense.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
That story says
Transport for London hopes [Crossrail] will boost revenues by more than £200 million a year but admits some Tube passengers will switch to the new line, which will eventually link Reading with Sheffield
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:03 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I guess HAL still get money, but I'd prefer to use Crossrail than Heathrow Express where possible,
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by :D!
People still take Gatwick Express. I don't think Crossrail will have Advance fares.

If you are coming from or need to go somewhere on the Piccadilly or District lines taking the tube still makes sense.
To be fair the HEX advance fares are more flexible than National Rail advance fares, on the HEX you just specify the day you're travelling rather than the specific train but the Crossrail fares beat most of the HEX advance fares (exceptions are weekend ones bought a long time in advance) it's also worth taking into account the price capping if you're using other tube, rail, bus services within London that day
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Crossrail Fares Incl Heathrow Announced

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...91496.html?amp

Not unexpected that a peak single on the new Elizabeth Line to Heathrow will be £7 more than the tube at £12.10 where people from zone 2 will have a £4.50 premium. Will this change the way you get to LHR?

I rarely use use the Heathrow Express unless I can get one of the advanced tickets at the weekend. Might try Crossrail once but for me I’ll probably stick to the tube.

Mods please move if necessary started here as most BA users could be interested.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Already being discussed here. (Although, to be fair, it's already halfway down the second page).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.