Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crossrail and LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Thanks for that! I had no idea the schedule/route structure was quite so extraordinarily complicated.

I've usually muddled through, occasionally relying on the patience of staff to direct me to the best option: but there have been a couple of screw-ups
Although if they're wearing purple and have a ticket machine in their hand they'll probably tell you that the best option is always the HEX and then tube to continue their onward journey, even if the destination is Hounslow West.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:10 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
The Mayor's Infrastructure Plan 2050, published this week, states that Crossrail 1 merger with HEx is a 2030 deliverable. Although I agree with henners that some deal will likely be done before Crossrail opens.

Crossrail 1 - HEx merger and serves T5
Timescale 2030
Affects 5m passengers
Qualitative benefits: Improves connectivity of Crossrail network and access to Heathrow. Could enable 6tph semi-fast service to T5, 50 per cent more on this route.
Capital cost: £20 million to upgrade relief lines. Assume 5 extra rolling stock required, £65m.
Priority 1
Case based on maximising benefits of the Crossrail infrastructure

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defa...%20Paper_2.pdf
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by layz
Although if they're wearing purple and have a ticket machine in their hand they'll probably tell you that the best option is always the HEX and then tube to continue their onward journey, even if the destination is Hounslow West.
^ How true !
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gold77
Technically correct but if you are in Piccadilly you can get a train (not the same train) to all terminals, and if you are in Paddington, same. But from Farringdon you won't be able to go to T5. Bit annoying.
So just go from Farringdon to Paddington first.... @:-)
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Morland
The Mayor's Infrastructure Plan 2050, published this week, states that Crossrail 1 merger with HEx is a 2030 deliverable. Although I agree with henners that some deal will likely be done before Crossrail opens.

Crossrail 1 - HEx merger and serves T5
Timescale 2030
Affects 5m passengers
Qualitative benefits: Improves connectivity of Crossrail network and access to Heathrow. Could enable 6tph semi-fast service to T5, 50 per cent more on this route.
Capital cost: £20 million to upgrade relief lines. Assume 5 extra rolling stock required, £65m.
Priority 1
Case based on maximising benefits of the Crossrail infrastructure

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/defa...%20Paper_2.pdf
Will Heathrow Express trains start stopping at the Old Oak station once that is built? Could be the easiest transfer from Crossrail.

What upgrades are required to these relief lines? Aren't Crossrail going to be making them as quick and well-signalled as possible anyway? Seems odd, but am no rail expert...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cazoz
Will Heathrow Express trains start stopping at the Old Oak station once that is built? Could be the easiest transfer from Crossrail.
Apparently Old Oak (or whatever they end up calling it) won't be in service until 2026 at the earliest. However, I would anticipate it being later than that especially with HS2 being an integral part of the new station.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
The HEX license runs out in 2023.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by dnajockey
The HEX license runs out in 2023.
Yes, but that's just for the rights to access the NR metals to Paddington. HAL owns the service and all of the Heathrow infrastructure...
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Surely there will be a solution for this before Crossrail opens. I can't believe BA will tolerate T5 not being served by Crossrail and there would also be a lot of controversy if the trains turn back at Central
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Did anyone else watch the BBC2 documentary series about Crossrail and finished last night?

Much better than another recent one. No mention of lip stick or snapshots or premium language just lots of hard work and huge machines !
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by TimmyD
Surely there will be a solution for this before Crossrail opens. I can't believe BA will tolerate T5 not being served by Crossrail and there would also be a lot of controversy if the trains turn back at Central
What will BA do? Threaten to move airports?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TimmyD
They will go to T4 from 123. Not sure why you think BA can demand to crossrail where they run their trains. Crossrail is a£15bn project and will be serving some o pf the busiest stations in London, whereas IAG is one airline at LHR, and it's parent IAG has a total market cap of less than £7bn so which side do you think has more say? The other issue is that HAL may specifically prohibit crossrail from going to T5 since it will screw HEX (owned by HAL) completely - why would anyone pay twenty odd pounds to get in to central London if Crossrail was a fraction of the cost and not much slower.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Gold77
Only in England do we find solutions that minimise the impact at the expense of the flag carrier.

Do you really think this would happen in Germany, France or Italy? BA should have invested in some lobbyists...
Wrong end of the stick I'm afraid - this is not intended to protect the interest of foreign airlines, but rather that of one of the private train operators. The only reason why this is happening in Britain and not elsewhere is because whether this is a good or bad thing, elsewhere, the state would have insisted that it was a matter of public interest that the new train line stopped at T5 and ensured that HAL got compensation but faced the competition. It is not the way things are done in the UK, and the interest of the passengers is frankly not nearly the main priority of those in a position to decide.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Looks like the deal has been done, and there will be 4tph on Crossrail to T5. Haven't seen this reported elsewhere, but this was retweeted by London Reconnections, who normally know what they're talking about.

http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...w-airport.html
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Spotted on my twitter stream this morning as it was announced by HAL. An improvement on the original plan of crossrail only serving T23 and T4, but in the new plan out of the 6ph to LHR only 2 will go to T5.

https://your.heathrow.com/elizabeth-...sted-services/

Rail services to Heathrow from December 2019:

• 12 Piccadilly Line trains per hour – 6 trains serving Terminals 2, 3 and 4, and 6 trains serving Terminals 2, 3 and 5
  • 6 Elizabeth Line trains per hour – 4 trains serving Terminals 2, 3 and 4, and 2 trains serving Terminals 2, 3 and 5
  • 4 Heathrow Express trains per hour – all trains serving Terminals 2, 3 and 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.