Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more Aer Lingus lounge access with BA Gold?

Old Jul 24, 14, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR

I picked the wrong day to fly Aer Lingus today. They moved to T2 on the 9th but the lounge was delayed. I was on the 13.35 and it was due to open later this afternoon!

I did get 20 food voucher as compensation, blown in Caviar House on a half bottle of champagne!

A staffer at the gate, though, told me that I should NOT have got a voucher. He said that BA Gold members would NOT be allowed in the new lounge. He said that, with EI now in T2 and BA moving Dublin to T5, it was not necessary.

This may or may be true. EI flights retain BA flight codes ( although you could always access the lounge whatever the code on your ticket). And, frankly, I doubt Gold Circle has enough top tier members to fill the lounge!

I went to the United lounge instead with my Priority Pass and it was great. Review on HFP next week. Better food than Galleries First if you ignore the BA cooked to order menu, and free champagne and cocktails from a fully staffed bar. Long walk through the tunnel though to the B gates where the lounge is.
Old Jul 24, 14, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
( although you could always access the lounge whatever the code on your ticket).
I believe that this was not supposed to be the case even before and certainly was not allowed in Dublin when flying on the EI code. I think the EI team at LHR was quite flexible (they'd even happily change BA gold to earlier flights for free on flights that did not allow free changes!) as BA was not competing with them on the route, but things seemed to get significantly more tensed when BA introducted their own flights. With good reason too: frankly, why should EI let BA Gold pax use the lounge unless BA is happy to pay for them?
Old Jul 24, 14, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I believe that this was not supposed to be the case even before and certainly was not allowed in Dublin when flying on the EI code. I think the EI team at LHR was quite flexible (they'd even happily change BA gold to earlier flights for free on flights that did not allow free changes!) as BA was not competing with them on the route, but things seemed to get significantly more tensed when BA introducted their own flights. With good reason too: frankly, why should EI let BA Gold pax use the lounge unless BA is happy to pay for them?
Simple - why would a BA Gold fly Aer Lingus otherwise? On a short hop, lounge access is a key differentiator.

If this is true then Aer Lingus might be willing to status match BA Gold members. They hardly want to alienate flyers who never bothered chasing EI status because their BA Gold was OK.
Old Jul 24, 14, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Question

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
orbitmic, I am afraid you are incorrect. It was allowed. It was not a "fudge" operated only in the LHR lounge. I have used it in both directions many times, always without a problem or a debate or anything other than business-as-usual.

For the last several years, Gold Circle lounge access has been extended to any Gold or Silver BAEC card holder travelling between London and Ireland, in either direction, on any EI service which also bears a BA codeshare number (regardless of whether the flight was bought from BA under the BA code [implying additional travel on BA metal on the same ticket] or bought from EI under its EI code, even if it is the cheapest non-mileage earning fare. All Aer Lingus flights between LHR and DUB, for instance, fell within the terms of this arrangement.

My gut feel is that this "staffer" (what an American term!) was wrong. But perhaps, the time has come to break this handy little arrangement - whether due to BA's increasing frequencies on DUB to LON, or BA's decision to not pay for these visits, or Aer Lingus making a clean break now they are in a new LHR home, or could it be that BA is stopping its codesharing on EI to Dublin? (They would still need to codeshare on EI to ORk and SNN though...)
Old Jul 25, 14, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, AClub Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Silver, SPG, others
I really hope this "staffer" was incorrect. I have a LHR-SNN coming up and only booked on EI because of BAEC lounge access. That said, I have stopped flying EI to DUB (moved to BA) and with the move to T5 I am very happy.

There is probably a group of people in the same situation as me (occasionally flying EI because of BAEC benefits) whom they might lose as a result of this, but they might not care if their loads are OK and they can sell similarly-priced seats to others without having to give free lounge access...

Last edited by Icarusian; Jul 25, 14 at 9:12 am Reason: Grammar
Old Jul 25, 14, 10:14 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Gold Circle members have the benefit of using BA lounges at LHR if travelling onwards with BA on a single ticket.

EI is reducing the number of lounges accessible by GC members
Old Jul 25, 14, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
orbitmic, I am afraid you are incorrect. It was allowed. It was not a "fudge" operated only in the LHR lounge. I have used it in both directions many times, always without a problem or a debate or anything other than business-as-usual.

For the last several years, Gold Circle lounge access has been extended to any Gold or Silver BAEC card holder travelling between London and Ireland, in either direction, on any EI service which also bears a BA codeshare number (regardless of whether the flight was bought from BA under the BA code [implying additional travel on BA metal on the same ticket] or bought from EI under its EI code, even if it is the cheapest non-mileage earning fare. All Aer Lingus flights between LHR and DUB, for instance, fell within the terms of this arrangement.

My gut feel is that this "staffer" (what an American term!) was wrong. But perhaps, the time has come to break this handy little arrangement - whether due to BA's increasing frequencies on DUB to LON, or BA's decision to not pay for these visits, or Aer Lingus making a clean break now they are in a new LHR home, or could it be that BA is stopping its codesharing on EI to Dublin? (They would still need to codeshare on EI to ORk and SNN though...)
Ah, my mistake then and thanks for correcting it. I'm sure I have been refused Lounge Access at DUB but it may have been on one of my non-UK flights and I never tried again.

That said, that would not necessarily be a contradiction with my main point in the sense that maybe BA accepted to pay for that. I really don't think that EI would pay for it out of pocket without second thought and I think that the argument about why BA Gold would fly EI otherwise is not all that convincing to me: I have regularly bought EI LGW-DUB for 29.99 and frankly EI will make little benefit with it. By contrast, on the more expensive flexible tickets with EI, lounge access is included anyway.

All in all, it is not usual for airlines to grant lounge access to elite from other programmes in the absence of either an alliance partnership or a specific agreement with the airline of the relevant FFP. Indeed, I can even think of multiple cases of codeshared flights where a top level frequent flyer may not access the lounge of the operating airline when flying on a ticket coded by an airline in which he/she is Gold equivalent. I sure would personally like it to be different, but to be honest, it seems to me that if BA was not paying for its BAEC Gold/Silver pax using the EI lounge, then EI was being exceptionally (and perhaps absurdly) generous with us.
Old Jul 28, 14, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Hi all - long time lurker - but great forum and really thriving community!

I can confirm that BA Silver and Gold can use the Aer Lingus lounge - I'd asked at the T2 Lounge and they said BA guests more than welcome, so sounds like a "staffer" issue.

That said, I did walk to the United Club lounge - and well worth the visit with a PP card. The longest bar in Heathrow, some fairly decent buffet food and a good cocktail or two. Shame about the walk back to the T2 A gates though!
Old Jul 28, 14, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld View Post
Hi all - long time lurker - but great forum and really thriving community!

I can confirm that BA Silver and Gold can use the Aer Lingus lounge - I'd asked at the T2 Lounge and they said BA guests more than welcome, so sounds like a "staffer" issue.

That said, I did walk to the United Club lounge - and well worth the visit with a PP card. The longest bar in Heathrow, some fairly decent buffet food and a good cocktail or two. Shame about the walk back to the T2 A gates though!
Does this include BA Golds travelling with Aer Lingus to Belfast or just Dubin?
Old Jul 28, 14, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
Originally Posted by BHDATC View Post
Does this include BA Golds travelling with Aer Lingus to Belfast or just Dubin?
I was a Silver travelling to Belfast - the lounge manager lady said both.
Old Aug 6, 14, 11:57 am

I have a flight upcoming from DUB to LHR (then onward to DFW on AA metal), I will have checked luggage. The DUB->LHR sector is an EI operated flight but I'm booked on the BA code. I am BAEC Silver, and am not a member of the gold circle club. I understand from above posts that I should be able to use the GC lounge in Dublin.

A few questions I have though with regards my status extending across to EI in Dublin..

Can I use business class check-in?
Can I use fast track security?
Does my GC lounge access extend to a guest?

Thanks,

John
Old Feb 1, 15, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Traveller, PUCCI Fan Club
Red face

Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post

I have a flight DUB to MAN on an EI code. I assumed I won't have access to the lounge but I just want to check in case the arrangement is flexible?
Old Feb 1, 15, 5:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup View Post
I have a flight DUB to MAN on an EI code. I assumed I won't have access to the lounge but I just want to check in case the arrangement is flexible?
No you won't have access.
Old Feb 1, 15, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I flew LHR-SNN rtn last week & granted EI lounge access but was asked to show my GC.
When they flew from the green mile in T1 I was refused entry to the BA lounge & told to go to the Gold Circle lounge.
I protested as it was a code share & I was GC holder but to no avail.
The EI lounge at T2 really shows up their lounge in Dublin & that Irish terminal is relatively new.
Old Feb 2, 15, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by john205 View Post
I have a flight upcoming from DUB to LHR (then onward to DFW on AA metal), I will have checked luggage. The DUB->LHR sector is an EI operated flight but I'm booked on the BA code. I am BAEC Silver, and am not a member of the gold circle club. I understand from above posts that I should be able to use the GC lounge in Dublin.

A few questions I have though with regards my status extending across to EI in Dublin..

Can I use business class check-in?
Can I use fast track security?
Does my GC lounge access extend to a guest?

Thanks,

John
To update on this, the answer was no to all 3. I'm not sure the first two were actually available but was refused a guest into GC lounge in DUB.

john

Search this Thread
Search Engine: