Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No more Aer Lingus lounge access with BA Gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more Aer Lingus lounge access with BA Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MickV
Question is, is this a new rule or was she wrong?
Were you on a BA codeshare and / or 125 plated? In which case she was correct other than it is not new.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Yes I have found this too and the same applies if flying DUB to MAN or LPL using the BA code too.

It really is a shambles that 2 closely related IAG airlines have no reciprocal access. This doesn't need EI to be admitted to OW, BD was never a OW member and that never caused an issue.

The PP lounge at T2 is pretty awful but T2 is significantly nicer than T1. Flying to and from LPL is also significantly more pleasant than to or from MAN except that the LPL PP lounge is rubbish.
Although EI's LPL/DUB route is ending in January.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Were you on a BA codeshare and / or 125 plated? In which case she was correct other than it is not new.
No and no. She stated very clearly this was a brand new thing.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
I was flying back to Dublin from Hong Kong via Amsterdam on CX connecting to an aer lingus flight.

Coming off the flight I asked the CX lady at the bridge if there was a lounge we could use. She said she didn't know but try the BA one.

Got to the Ba lounge and asked if we could use it coming off CX J. She said no as flying on with Aer Lingus didn't count and arriving on CX j didn't matter. Fair enough and turned to walk out. She saw the gold bag tag and then said I could use the lounge due to a new rule that had been brought in. BA Gold could use the lounge if flying on Aer Lingus. My colleague is silver and she said he couldn't come in.

Had a nice chat with one of the lounge angels at Edinburgh recently who told me a recent change in rules allows entry for BA Gold only on Aer Lingus and Vueling flights and when questioned said it doesn't even need to be BA ticketed. Just no guests and no BA Silver allowed.

Fine when traveling alone, a bit of a frustration with a colleague or weekend trip with significant BA silver other in tow.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cm1983i
Had a nice chat with one of the lounge angels at Edinburgh recently who told me a recent change in rules allows entry for BA Gold only on Aer Lingus and Vueling flights and when questioned said it doesn't even need to be BA ticketed. Just no guests and no BA Silver allowed.
That certainly would be great news, there is a not-so-well understood entry ability on BA codeshares ticketed by BA. EDI was actually one of the places which seemed unaware of this (and I did send a comment into Waterside about that) - there were people complaining about this in other threads, ditto there were difficulties in BHD (EI) and GLA (EI but OK for Loganair). I'll see if I can find out more.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 1:34 am

Will be excellent news if this was correct!
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
I went to the United lounge instead with my Priority Pass and it was great. Review on HFP next week. Better food than Galleries First if you ignore the BA cooked to order menu, and free champagne and cocktails from a fully staffed bar. Long walk through the tunnel though to the B gates where the lounge is.
That sounds like one of the best PP lounges around. Are there any others where you get champagne included? Usually it's a paid extra. Well, apart from a BA Gold accessing the LGW one, I got the impression that you could get at least a glass free...

I must admit some of the PP lounges I've previously used have upped their game in the last year. Better food, at least.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Smid
That sounds like one of the best PP lounges around. Are there any others where you get champagne included? Usually it's a paid extra. Well, apart from a BA Gold accessing the LGW one, I got the impression that you could get at least a glass free...

I must admit some of the PP lounges I've previously used have upped their game in the last year. Better food, at least.
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and the LHR UA lounge is no longer in Priority Pass.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cm1983i

Fine when traveling alone, a bit of a frustration with a colleague or weekend trip with significant BA silver other in tow.
I can confirm I was told the same at MAN the week before last. I was on the IB express service and the lounge angel remarked that there weren't many FF's for that flight. I asked about the privileges being the same and she said yes. It's allowed too for Vueling and Aer Lingus for GCH only. Guesting isn't allowed with either of those according to her.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:00 pm

She saw the gold bag tag and then said I could use the lounge due to a new rule that had been brought in. BA Gold could use the lounge if flying on Aer Lingus. My colleague is silver and she said he couldn't come in.

OK, I've done due diligence on this and I don't think it's quite as good as it looks. I rang my booking desk, Didsbury, Newcastle Customer Relations and my BA account manager. None of them had heard of this, and while it wouldn't surprise me if some of them hadn't heard anything, I was a bit surprised none of them had.

I then checked at CCR, T3 and LGW. All three said they were operating the January 2016 manual and were unaware of any changes.

Finally, however, I think I found out what has happened. EDI was a station that had reports of denying the previous access ground, namely BA codeshare on EI when 125 plated (BA ticket). When I checked there today they indeed confirmed that there had been a recent and very welcome change (their words), and I was proudly led to a new clipboard. Aha, I thought, until I saw the top line. Blacked out to protect the guilty, but they are getting 1 or 2 Goldcard holders a day.

So what I think has happened is that stations have been recently reminded that the 125/codeshare/Gold arrangement exists and some stations are taking active steps to admit qualified Goldies.

Having said all of that, I note that the new AerClub scheme does indicate BA lounge access rights for their top 2 tiers (Platinum and Concierge), there again that was there before. Either way, it may well develop into a full partnership in due course.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Finally, however, I think I found out what has happened. EDI was a station that had reports of denying the previous access ground, namely BA codeshare on EI when 125 plated (BA ticket). When I checked there today they indeed confirmed that there had been a recent and very welcome change (their words), and I was proudly led to a new clipboard. Aha, I thought, until I saw the top line. Blacked out to protect the guilty, but they are getting 1 or 2 Goldcard holders a day.

So what I think has happened is that stations have been recently reminded that the 125/codeshare/Gold arrangement exists and some stations are taking active steps to admit qualified Goldies.
Nice bit of detective work there C-W-S! I was not aware of this being permitted at all, so it's good to know it exists.

I would also expect a closer relationship once Aer Club is bedded down and so on in due course. Thanks for sharing!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:18 pm

OK, I've done due diligence on this and I don't think it's quite as good as it looks. I rang my booking desk, Didsbury, Newcastle Customer Relations and my BA account manager. None of them had heard of this, and while it wouldn't surprise me if some of them hadn't heard anything, I was a bit surprised none of them had.

I then checked at CCR, T3 and LGW. All three said they were operating the January 2016 manual and were unaware of any changes.

Finally, however, I think I found out what has happened. EDI was a station that had reports of denying the previous access ground, namely BA codeshare on EI when 125 plated (BA ticket). When I checked there today they indeed confirmed that there had been a recent and very welcome change (their words), and I was proudly led to a new clipboard. Aha, I thought, until I saw the top line. Blacked out to protect the guilty, but they are getting 1 or 2 Goldcard holders a day

Having said all of that, I note that the new AerClub scheme does indicate BA lounge access rights for their top 2 tiers (Platinum and Concierge), there again that was there before. Either way, it may well develop into a full partnership in due course.
Excellent work as per usual. The lady did spend sometime trying to find a new log in sheet but couldn't locate it.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:27 am

I take it this means that any Gold member on a BA 125 ticket who is flying EI on a BA flight number is able to enter the BA lounge?

Plan is to book an EI flight on the BA web site AMS-DUB and as a Gold I want to use the BA lounge. This is possible based on the above, correct? Just wanted to check I understand this correctly.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I take it this means that any Gold member on a BA 125 ticket who is flying EI on a BA flight number is able to enter the BA lounge?
Correct, that would be my understanding. Whether that works on the day isn't under my control unfortunately.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:37 am

Thank you for the prompt response! I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.