Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones Star Denied Access to British Airways Club Lounge [Under age]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Game of Thrones Star Denied Access to British Airways Club Lounge [Under age]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Thumbs up I agree that the issue of titles are always important

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes, but how did you address them???
I always address my doctor with: "Doctor", and of course I expect him to spend the required 45 seconds it takes to address me with everything. (The preceding sentence is not necessarily completely true.)

I guess the real problem here is, that the young girl, who used profanity in her tweet, was pissed off that the lounge dragon did not address her "Lady Stark"?

I have witnessed a young man in front of me at the desk of the Elemis Spa at T5 main terminal.

The receptionist said, "You are quite young for a lord".

He answered, "Actually, I was born a lord."

She said, "Well, come back at 11.30 lord!"

At this point I wanted to intervene and tell her that she should address him properly as "my lord"; but I figured to hell with it.

Certainly says something about the current demographic make-up of Britain, that people no longer know how to address a lord. Also, that they think young lords do not exist (which I guess is often true for life peers but not otherwise).

I remember being in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot 2005 (held in York), and certainly the people there knew how to address people. I was quite impressed that I could come within 0.5 meters of the Prince of Wales without any security. Though as I recall I had indeed passed through a metal detector previously. He was standing looking back, because the Princess of Wales (Camilla) was signing an autograph. (I know she does not use that title but de jure the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales).

Perhaps the view presented by myself and other people here is that regardless of whatever one's view on the BA policy (the legality and so forth) it is a separate issue as to whether she reacted in an adult manner by using profanity even after she was aware of the policy from previous experience. Also on that issue we disagree, some people (like me) think she demonstrated quite poor and immature behaviour by the wording of her tweet, while others think the wording was fine considering the circumstances.

Sometimes of course we just have to agree to disagree.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I agree with the actress. BA should get its sh!t together. If you buy a business class ticket you should be given access to a lounge.

Simple.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
I think that if she had been allowed into LHR T5 CW lounge, she would have been very disappointed, as it's rather overcrowded much of the time now, and not really any more private or calm than the terminal.

Next time she should look into http://www.heathrowvip.com/
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:23 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Rus925
Also remember that parents who have the money and inclination to send their kids business class will have likely taught their kids how to behave among adults, and kids with status will have learned appropriate behavior over their many trips and may even have lounge agents who know them and their parents.
Originally Posted by Goldlust
Certainly says something about the current demographic make-up of Britain, that people no longer know how to address a lord. Also, that they think young lords do not exist (which I guess is often true for life peers but not otherwise).

I remember being in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot 2005 (held in York), and certainly the people there knew how to address people. I was quite impressed that I could come within 0.5 meters of the Prince of Wales without any security. Though as I recall I had indeed passed through a metal detector previously. He was standing looking back, because the Princess of Wales (Camilla) was signing an autograph. (I know she does not use that title but de jure the wife of the Prince of Wales is the Princess of Wales).

The elitism on this board is sometimes hard to swallow.

Last edited by travelwithross; Jul 23, 2014 at 6:38 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
This "how to address a lord" stuff sounds really strange to American ears, at least mine.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rxfleming
To be honest, I see nothing wrong with the two posts you quoted. In fact the second is more or less factual rather than opinionated.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by LondonElite
To be honest, I see nothing wrong with the two posts you quoted. In fact the second is more or less factual rather than opinionated.
That upper middle class children are better behaved than lower middle class children? How is this factual? You must be pulling from a rather narrow sample group.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Goldlust
I always address my doctor with: "Doctor", and of course I expect him to spend the required 45 seconds it takes to address me with everything. (The preceding sentence is not necessarily completely true.)

Certainly says something about the current demographic make-up of Britain, that people no longer know how to address a lord.

I remember being in the Royal Enclosure at Ascot 2005 (held in York), and certainly the people there knew how to address people. I was quite impressed that I could come within 0.5 meters of the Prince of Wales etc.

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Don't get indigestion!

Some of our arch name-droppers may be incipient Walter Mitty characters, but they are rather good value in a pantomime sort of way.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dan72
That upper middle class children are better behaved than lower middle class children? How is this factual? You must be pulling from a rather narrow sample group.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Please reread. Though I do think my children would behave nicely!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This "how to address a lord" stuff sounds really strange to American ears, at least mine.
It's called British humour. We know you find that hard to get
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buddman
It's called British humour. We know you find that hard to get
The problems begin when you realize a good fraction of the British public don't get it either
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Oh, dear me...

Why don't you all accept this is how "Legends" are made

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc....sted&t=1596117

Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by onobond
Oh, dear me...

Why don't you all accept this is how "Legends" are made

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc....sted&t=1596117

Gosh! I'm impressed by that bit of website functionality. But how ..... ?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:18 am
Suspended

Cool...never knew that existed.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
So, can one of the 'somebodies' who knows 'everybody' please contact the tweetster and invite her to join flyertalk so she can better prepare her future travels ?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.