Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather Cancellations Tomorrow (Sat 19th July)

Weather Cancellations Tomorrow (Sat 19th July)

Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Looking in the direction of Heathrow. 28degC. Clear blue skies.

Hope the minimum number of flights have been affected due to the challenges with predicting the British weather.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
ATC restrictions are specifically excluded from EU 261 arrangements. As are weather cancellations.
"Cancelled because of bad weather" appears to be slightly different to "cancelled because we think the weather might turn out to be bad"
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:51 am
Suspended

There are thunderstorms just approaching the Southern coast of the UK, judging from their current path they'll be quite near to LHR in an hour or so.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by simonrp84
There are thunderstorms just approaching the Southern coast of the UK, judging from their current path they'll be quite near to LHR in an hour or so.
What website are you looking at please? I am in Southampton and its been sunny all day, feel like I'm missing out on a "weather event"!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
"Cancelled because of bad weather" appears to be slightly different to "cancelled because we think the weather might turn out to be bad"
Yes there is a difference and if BA just cancelled off their own bat then they should indeed pay out.

But the cancellations this afternoon are based on ATC saying "we expect bad weather between these hours so are reducing capacity by X"
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Since when does rain count as bad weather? Snow, icing, fog, I understand. But I've never heard of an airport having operational problems due to rain.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by simonrp84
I can't see anything North of Le Havre?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:29 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Since when does rain count as bad weather? Snow, icing, fog, I understand. But I've never heard of an airport having operational problems due to rain.
Electrical storms aren't just "rain".
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
At heathrow now. Blue sky and sunny. Nice one BA!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Champagne please
What website are you looking at please? I am in Southampton and its been sunny all day, feel like I'm missing out on a "weather event"!
I have access to weather satellite data, it's not available online I'm afraid.
Here's a recent pic, as you can see some storms just off the French coast (near Le Havre) and some in the Southern UK. Heathrow clear so far:

Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:54 am

I find it quite remarkable that the powers that be would order flights to be cancelled so far in advance over something so unpredictable... all of the weather models struggle when it comes to convection and trying to pin down exactly where storms will be even 12 hours out is nigh on impossible.

Last night proved that well - I was awoken around 3 AM by frequent thunder and lightning. I groggily went to the PC, looked at the radar and there was a mass of storms moving up from France over my part of Kent. The Met Office forecast at the time was for partially cloudy skies... it was only once the storms started easing that the model updated to show thundery showers for the next three hours!

NB, for those watching the Netweather radar you'll see the rainfall has crossed halfway over the Channel now. The intense storms are remaining near France, however, they're moving only very slowly northwards. For those without access to Netweather or a similar 5-minute product, this link should give an idea of what's going on:

http://www.meteox.com/gmapstatic.asp...om&x=246&y=277

Edit: free satellite link for EUMETSAT:

http://www.sat24.com/en/gb
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
I'd be furious if my flight had been cancelled. It's 6.20pm and still a glorious summer evening 5 miles from Heathrow. A couple of light puffy clouds in an otherwise blue sky, no wind and about 25 degrees. Hopefully someone is feeling like a bit of a muppet for wrecking thousands of people's travel plans.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:35 am

It's not so much the outbound timing that is the problem, more the return of those sectors.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Down in surrey a few miles from Heathrow it's suddenly gone dark and windy... Storm imminent! Think they may have got the 16.00-18.00 timeframe slightly wrong
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Enjoy. It's a Dutch site but I think most is pretty obvious.

http://europa.buienradar.nl/verwachting/bliksem

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.