BA Mileage Upgrade Fare Bucket Club Europe

Old Jul 16, 14, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, TK Elite, Hilton Gold, Miles and More
BA Mileage Upgrade Fare Bucket Club Europe

Hello everyone,

this is my first post here and I have a question, which makes me kind of curious.

Some months ago I booked a roundtrip FRA-LHR-JFK-LHR-FRA in WTP (T). This means that the connectors FRA-LHR-FRA are in the Y fare bucket.

Now I used miles to upgrade one FRA-LHR segment. In manage my booking it says Club Europe, confirmed. However, when clicking on the further details it shows I am still in the Y fare bucket. Shouldn't it be U? And, for instance, I am also not displayed lounge information, as would be the case usually. However, the seat map shown to me for reservation is Club Europe.

Can anyone give an explanation?
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:05 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Has your e-ticket been reissued showing you in CE? Confirmed does not mean much.

Use classic.checkmytrip.com and see if there is a valid e-ticket number for your itinerary.
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, TK Elite, Hilton Gold, Miles and More
There is a ticket number and for endorsements/restrictions it says *M*REDEM/NON ENDO/NON CHG/NON REFUND.

And for fare type for that flight it shows Business.

But why the Y class?
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Willi90

Originally Posted by Willi90 View Post
But why the Y class?
That's the selling class, what you paid for. It's still relevant, since if you changed your ticket they would go back to the source revenue ticket rather than assuming you were now on a business ticket. So long as you can see seating in Club Europe you are fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

But greetings Willi90, many thanks for both the question and for joining us here in the British Airways forum on Flyertalk. I hope we can see more of you in the future too, welcome on board.
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome!

But are you sure?

I recently also upgraded a T fare bucket to Club World and it is now displaying U. And it is also displaying lounge information, which is not the case for my Club Europe upgrade.

So why would it be different in this case?
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
But are you sure?
The only certainties in life are death and taxes. But I've seen that before, if it helps. If I got a seat in the first few rows of the aircraft, and I've got the e-ticket number, then personally I would be happy with this situation. If BA's IT and systems were wonderfully consistent there wouldn't be much need for Flyertalk.
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Did not get myself a seat yet since I am right now only BA Blue.

From your advice I should be fine then

However, anyone with similar experience or different opinion on this feel free to add to this...
Old Jul 16, 14, 11:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Some months ago I booked a roundtrip FRA-LHR-JFK-LHR-FRA in WTP (T). This means that the connectors FRA-LHR-FRA are in the Y fare bucket.
Sorry to hijack this thread but I had a related question and don't know the answer. I have long haul sectors booked in business (I) class and also a couple of UK domestic sectors in the middle. I thought the domestic sectors in this booking would book into J but they've booked into N thus suggesting they will generate 10 TPs rather than 20.

I'm not too fussed but just thought that was odd. Or is it supposed to be that way?

Thanks
Old Jul 16, 14, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Sorry to hijack this thread but I had a related question and don't know the answer. I have long haul sectors booked in business (I) class and also a couple of UK domestic sectors in the middle. I thought the domestic sectors in this booking would book into J but they've booked into N thus suggesting they will generate 10 TPs rather than 20.

I'm not too fussed but just thought that was odd. Or is it supposed to be that way?

Thanks
This is odd. Can you give more details on your itinerary?

If your domestic sectors are more than 24 hours away from your international sectors, the "I" fare component cannot cover the domestic part of your itinerary (stop overs are not permitted on I fares). In this case you may be travelling on two fare components joined together. Now, because of the oddities of UK domestic "business" fares, the computer will automatically find you the cheapest economy fare for those sectors instead of a separate full J fare component (though it is a valid combination if you insist).

ba.com will show you the predicted tier points you should get under the first box on the Manage My Booking page. It is normally accurate if your trip only consists of BA sectors.

It sounds like you will only get 10 points (and no lounge access) on those N fares.
Old Jul 16, 14, 4:00 pm

Hi Calchas, thanks for that. I think I might get away with lounge access courtesy of my CCR card

I'm going JFK-LHR-BOM-LHR-ABZ-LHR-MIA but you're right in that the flight from ABZ-LHR is >24 hours from my arrival into ABZ which might explain it?

EDIT: However, each of the two domestic sectors is in itself very close to an international sector if that make any difference (i.e. BOM-LHR-ABZ is one through trip and ABZ-LHR-MIA is another through trip).

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
This is odd. Can you give more details on your itinerary?

If your domestic sectors are more than 24 hours away from your international sectors, the "I" fare component cannot cover the domestic part of your itinerary (stop overs are not permitted on I fares). In this case you may be travelling on two fare components joined together. Now, because of the oddities of UK domestic "business" fares, the computer will automatically find you the cheapest economy ticket for those sectors instead of a separate full J fare component (though it is a valid combination if you insist).

ba.com will show you the predicted tier points you should get under the first box on the Manage My Booking page. It is normally accurate if your trip only consists of BA sectors.

It sounds like you will only get 10 points (and no lounge access) on those N fares.
Old Jul 16, 14, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by golfmad View Post
Hi Calchas, thanks for that. I think I might get away with lounge access courtesy of my CCR card

I'm going JFK-LHR-BOM-LHR-ABZ-LHR-MIA but you're right in that the flight from ABZ-LHR is >24 hours from my arrival into ABZ which might explain it?

EDIT: However, each of the two domestic sectors is in itself very close to an international sector if that make any difference (i.e. BOM-LHR-ABZ is one through trip and ABZ-LHR-MIA is another through trip).
Ah. Stopovers are permitted on I fares issued from USA-India via LHR. So my guess (and it is only a guess): you have an I fare from JFK to BOM and an I fare from BOM to MIA, combined as an open jaw. Separately you have a side trip from LHR-ABZ return on a N fare.

If there was a proper J class on this service (for instance if you were going to CDG) then a J fare would be appropriate. But either your TA or the computer knew that a J fare was not necessary given the restrictions you were happy with on the other sectors.
Old Jul 16, 14, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
Ah. Stopovers are permitted on I fares issued from USA-India via LHR. So my guess (and it is only a guess): you have an I fare from JFK to BOM and an I fare from BOM to MIA, combined as an open jaw. Separately you have a side trip from LHR-ABZ return on a N fare.

If there was a proper J class on this service (for instance if you were going to CDG) then a J fare would be appropriate. But either your TA or the computer knew that a J fare was not necessary given the restrictions you were happy with on the other sectors.
Thanks. That makes sense. Still, it's not bad for a total combined price of circa $4,200

Search this Thread