Wiki Posts
Search

help a 'newb'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
help a 'newb'

Recognise this might not be the best place - but have been lurking here and wanted to tap into the collective expertise.

I have a lot (>800,000) Marriott points and want to exchange them for a 2 week break in SKB. (The villa accommodation is what i need for 2 adults, 2 kids ( under 12) + some other family members who may join)

Marriott do travel packages - whereby you can book a weeks hotel and get 120k miles (so 240k) for an airline of your choosing.

I have about 300k Avios (from CC and Tescos) + an AMEX 241.

Would like to fly business ideally.

I can get flights I want pretty much want with BA - but the taxes crippling at about Ł2k (cash flow not great).

Am i better off transferring the 240k miles to AA / ANOther to minimise the taxes I pay. ie just forgo my BA avios and 241 this time

Can someone help me get there on the cheap? do i need to go ex EU with Air Berlin and change etc etc....

thx in advance
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Your 241 must be on BA metal.
ex-EU can provide a good saving on revenue fares, but on an award fare you will only really avoid APD but not the carrier surcharge which is the bulk of the cash component.

AB and EI are the main airlines that have low cash components for TATL fares. You could then use AA to fly to SKB.

Otherwise AA metal using AA miles will have a lower cash component. AA miles redeemed for BA metal flights TATL will have similarly high surcharges.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

so i can use my BA avios on EI or AB... but not the 241 eg Dub> JFK

I can transfer my marriott point to AA miles to get the second leg? JFK > SKB

ok will take a look - thanks
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:03 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
so i can use my BA avios on EI or AB... but not the 241 eg Dub> JFK

I can transfer my marriott point to AA miles to get the second leg? JFK > SKB

ok will take a look - thanks
Yes. You could also use avios for the AA flights (JFK-SKB or MIA-SKB) for 40k return in J, which should have a low cash component. Using AA miles it would be 60k return in J.

You would also need to book a separate flight LON-DUB for example. Also bear in mind that as these are separate tickets, you would be taking the risk of misconnecting (except to/from AA as per AA's separate ticket policy). If your LON-DUB was late and you missed your DUB-JFK flight, you would not be protected.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:07 am
Original Poster

how can i find ei availability on BA?? or do i have to book on ei?

I am in Leeds - so looking at

MAN > MCO
MCO > MIA (drive?)
MIA > SKB

I can take a few days to see the sights at each transfer to avoid mis-connections...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:12 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yorkshire exile
how can i find ei availability on BA?? or do i have to book on ei?
You need to call BAEC.
See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2014-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.