Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I don't even know how this happens [Mauled luggage]

I don't even know how this happens [Mauled luggage]

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think I'd probably stick with a level-headed, emotion-free, articulate, and concise reply letter/email. No one likes 'shouty' people.
I agree but if BA are being unreasonable to the OP then I think they have a right to raise the game through social media - too often large corporations try to fob customers off. Polite and accurate description of the problem will hopefully cause BA some embarassment or just send the photos and details to the Daily Mail - they love bashing BA
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by TrompeleMonde
Update on this - they got back to me on compensation very quickly - within 24 hours of submitting the claim.

Naturally they knocked money off the total claim - but offered only 50% because I don't have receipts. Since many of the items are not items you would typically keep receipts for such as clothes and shoes this is a little annoying. What they are offering won't cover the cost to replace.
Given the state of the bag I think that's unacceptable. Clearly the bag and its contents have been totally destroyed; I don't think I've ever seen a bag as damaged as yours.

An aggravating factor was that the bag was just delivered to you with no explanation or warning that it was in that state. I would be pushing for the full figure in your case and a gesture of goodwill.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
That's appalling- as previous posters have said, looks like either caught in the baggage belts at LHR, or possibly dragged under a vehicle. Modus operandi (when I was in lost baggage @ LGW)when this happened, we would try to get message to pax at gate if damage discovered before acft departure. If acft had departed message would be sent to destination with a view to telling pax about damage immediately on arrival...and with info as to when it would arrive. I find it utterly shocking that things have slipped this much.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
I certainly wouldn't accept 50%. Especially if I'd just paid for a plane ticket hotel and all the other costs of a trip to Barcelona that was intended to buy those things.

As regards replacement perhaps you could re-order on Boots website. I suppose the only extras would be shipping, tax and any duty as well as the cost of the items. Zara also has a good website although not all their items are on it but perhaps with additional cost of shipping tax and duty you might get replacements? Barcelona Zara is cheaper though so you may have to pay a higher price for the item itself as well.

Did you have travel insurance?

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Jul 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Joely
Did a courier deliver it or did they just fire it out of a cannon in your general direction?
Thanks for the laugh.^
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
I certainly wouldn't accept 50%. Especially if I'd just paid for a plane ticket hotel and all the other costs of a trip to Barcelona that was intended to buy those things.

Did you have travel insurance?
Don't accept their offer! Call your local newspaper they will love those pictures.

Last edited by bruceba; Jul 15, 2014 at 4:14 pm Reason: sp
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Amex Plat.
Years and years ago, I had Delta run over (and completely destroy) a number of school books and in-progress assignments, while I was headed out of town on a family vacation. I was *supposed* to be doing my homework while I was away...that was a fun one to explain to my teacher, and not the typical, "my dog ate it" story, lol.

Oh! And I if I remember correctly, they did pay to replace the books and the other small items I had in that bag. I thought it was great, not having to do homework while I was away...my parents and teachers were obviously not as thrilled.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Update on this - they got back to me on compensation very quickly - within 24 hours of submitting the claim.

Naturally they knocked money off the total claim - but offered only 50% because I don't have receipts. Since many of the items are not items you would typically keep receipts for such as clothes and shoes this is a little annoying. What they are offering won't cover the cost to replace.
Do you have the credit card statement that shows these purchases, or at least some of them? Maybe they will accept that.

I doubt the full "replacement cost" will be accepted by anyone (including the travel insurance) without some form of proof.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

It's a bit hard to comment without knowing what sort of amount you claimed for. In theory, there are asurd liability limits (a tiny amount per kilo or per piece). Of course, no decent airline would stick to that but for the rest, whether they proposed to reimburse 50% of a 200 request or 50% of a 5000 request does make a difference when it comes to assessing whether they are being unfair or not.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 2:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One of my colleagues (the one I've failed to educate, the one who needs to take 3 pairs of shoes on an overnight to BRU) had a number of run ins on this, and has taken to doing a dated/timed photo of her bag, spread out on the bed, just before travel, by way of proof that she was indeed carrying an absurd amount of expensive shoes with her. Her theory is that "they" know we double our estimate, so they know to halve it. She sticks to her guns and says "here is my proof, may I see yours?"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:21 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by Joely
Did a courier deliver it or did they just fire it out of a cannon in your general direction?
Coffee splurge......
Old Jul 19, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

An update on this -

I told BA that the 50% compensation was not acceptable, especially as the week has worn on I'm beginning to discover more damage and missing items than when I originally submitted the claim. And as I am replacing seemingly "low value" items such as my makeup and toiletries, I realize I probably low-balled their actual worth. They explained that this is policy without receipts. I explained that I could not submit receipts for items brought on my trip as they were in my bag which was mutilated and returned to me with about 1/3 of their contents missing, including the receipts.

While I agreed I would submit bank statements that might indicate the items were actually purchased, I explained many were bought with cash, particular items bought in London where I was trying to get rid of all my British pounds before leaving.

I then asked "did you even look at the pictures I submitted with my claim?" She explained no, she had not as they "take too long to load."

Red mist appeared before my eyes. They didn't look at the photos? They clearly had no clue how badly they had messed up.

Composing myself, I asked if there was a more efficient way to deliver my photos. I told her once she had seen them she would realize how complete and utterly unacceptable this was and how insulting my treatment was, especially as a "valued" gold member who flies Club LAX-LHR 4-5x a year. To someone who has retained BA loyalty while living in the US even though it would be more beneficially to be Executive Platinum with American and receive benefits like domestic upgrades, to someone who flies BA to Europe no matter how much another carrier would be more convenient.

She agreed I could email the photos (which I have uploaded to the internet, so their should be no problems "loading" via the internet connection at a large corporation)

I emailed the photos. I await her response.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Just offer her the link to photobucket and she can view them there. Even my 'Out-in-the-sticks-in-Devon' connection only took seconds...
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Cant see the photos as it says you've removed them.

Personally after the "i couldn't be bothered" reply I would have posted them on twitter, facebook etc and contacted the press.

Sometimes it's not about the money. It would have sure got you a personalised response from higher up.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mdj1
Cant see the photos as it says you've removed them.
http://s90.photobucket.com/user/robi...aggage%20Claim

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.