BA flight operated by Titan airways?

Old Jul 13, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by zanderblue
Another data point in pilot shortages.

Travelling LHR to ABZ on 28th June. We boarded 15 minutes late due to delayed cleaners. Then waited, and waited, finally announcement from pilot that he had no co pilot. Apparently he was delayed in traffic and there was no standby crew available. Our only option was to wait for him to show up. He dis eventually arrive 40 minutes late, oh and by then we were just in time to get held for a 30 minute weather delay, grrrrrr!
I have to admit I was surprised that there was no standby crew available!
There are almost no standby's anywhere.If there is an outbreak of ebola chaos will reign.The training dept will have things back on track in 2-3 months.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
There are almost no standby's anywhere.If there is an outbreak of ebola chaos will reign.The training dept will have things back on track in 2-3 months.
Hmmm I would beg to differ.

There are a lot of politics ongoing right now within the Flt Ops department. A replacement to the traditional form of rostering BA pilots at LHR have been akin to is being sort. Partly due to the system (or parts thereof) becoming obsolete and partly due to cost. At the same time the short haul review is being conducted. As rapidex explains, the system should sort itself out within 2-3 months.

Cornishsimon yes there is now an Airbus base at LGW. Pilots from the 737 are doing Airbus 320 conversions, and some new cadets are also filling the spaces left by 737 FOs moving to LHR into L/H positions. The roster system in LGW is different to LHR and any shortages there are simply due to airframe transfer dates and pilot course dates. Every now and again the dates for one slip, and operational strain may be felt. That said the issue is minor at LGW, and LHR has a much larger problem in the short term.

In terms of "this sort of problem doesn't just creep up on BA". If the commercial team were ever to speak to Flt Ops and recruitment, then no it wouldn't. Alas, some pilots post merger left for other challenges, a pilot hold pool was disbanded and hey presto, the commercial team announce the largest summer flying programme in years.

Commercial secrecy may have exposed the apparent problem, or maybe it didn't.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rapidex
Would anybody like a bet on whether the LGW-JER flights are on time in 2 weeks,crew shortage or not.?
I have had a go on a few sims so I reckon I could have a go if we are lacking a flight crew. Do you want to be my co-pilot rapidex? You can do the landing gear and the cabin announcements if you want
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Skipcool3

But no, nothing a bit of forward thinking wouldn't have resolved.
Perhaps not so much the forward thinking than a "lack of unification" issue, so to speak.The problem seems to be the disconnect between the commercial and flight ops, or more precisely put, the commercial not consulting the flight ops on crewing situation before putting out the schedule.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
While presumably BA are also operating a number of charter flights this weekend too, if last weekend is anything to go by?

Yes, the charter programme is rather busy this weekend and that will not be reduced due to Flight Crew constraints as the Airline is contracted to operate them.
The shortage is here to last for a while I believe, for reasons no one really knows, but it is not sickness related.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.