Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios Availability Map Not Working

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The only possible use of the BA Map is to use it as a routemap when you've not got a copy of Highlife in your toilet. It literally performed no useful function as far as actually providing availability went.

I love the idea that it might be being fixed though. If Skyscanner can do searches for multiple destinations across 100 sites and all the world's airlines, is it really too difficult for BA to do it for its own awards?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Actually I found it useful to see where i might be able to go, without just manually searching every single destination - letting it tell me there is no availability on that day, and having to click the button for the calendar. Rinse repeat ad finitum. The map helped with the tedium of this task - for me at least.

Would like to see it work again. Or indeed something better!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Perhaps Jeni at BAEC will come back and tell us what has happened to this tool....which I, like many, found useful
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:42 pm

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
It's a pretty poor show for BA, and after calling the EC to try and verify if a reward flight was actually available, I think strapping on a pair of wings and flying to LHR will be less painful
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tishooo
Actually I found it useful to see where i might be able to go, without just manually searching every single destination ...
But what use was that when the map results were so often inaccurate?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Like most map products on BA.com, sounds good, but doesn't work.

I find KVS faster to use when searching for award availability, not least because it dispenses with all the fancy stuff that clutters up the webpage and slows things right down.

It would be so helpful if the system could be engineered in such a way that you could easily input a date range, and the number of seats you need/want, and it tells you where you can go and in what classes. Designing holidays would be so much easier. Maybe that's the point!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But what use was that when the map results were so often inaccurate?
Inaccurate would still be better than non-existent or painfully slow. I'd rather poke my eyeballs out with a rusty fork than to try finding reward availability to LAX during booking on ba.com. The horror!

At least the map offered a comparative view of how many reward seats there probably were for a destination in each month.

But I agree, the map and the whole booking / searching process on BA.com is badly in need of a proper enhancem.... upgrade.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mjrkong
Inaccurate would still be better than non-existent or painfully slow.
Maybe it's just me, but given the choice between the map telling me that there are no award seats for the whole year, and a slower method showing me when there are some award seats, I'd prefer the latter every time.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:51 am

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
KVS is the only way to go, but could do with an interface refresh. FWIW it seems the explore availability map at avios.com still works, but as usual it's how shall we say, hit and miss!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
..and its still not working. And I have a companion voucher to spend, come on BA, please get it fixed!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC
There's a new one on AA. Keeps freezing though.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGill
There's a new one on AA. Keeps freezing though.
Try selecting flights to warmer countries.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:11 pm

Still not working

Is just me ? This thing has been down for ages. I would not mind so much if they actually answered the phone when you call in.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Is just me ? This thing has been down for ages. I would not mind so much if they actually answered the phone when you call in.
It's not you, I get the same error.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:31 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_1_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11D257 Safari/9537.53)

Given that there is little to no award availability anyway, it's hardly surprising the map couldn't cope. Perhaps it gave up bothering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.