No Insecticide In Spite of Chikungunya Epidemic

Old Jul 10, 14, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club
No Insecticide In Spite of Chikungunya Epidemic

I live in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, and pretty much everyone I know has either had, or has, the Chikungunya virus. Official sources have said there are about 200,000 cases in DR, but because there is no treatment most people don't go to a hospital so there are many many more. It really is an epidemic, a very nasty virus that stops you being able to walk and move for a few days, and is very painful. And it's spread by mosquitos.

So I was completely amazed to fly back on BA 2156 from Punta Cana yesterday and the crew didn't spray insecticide. (They also didn't bother with any welcome aboard drinks or newspapers either, but that isn't as serious).

Is it a legal requirement to spray the cabin once the doors are shut? They have always done so on all previous flights, and I would have thought crews should be told to be extra sure to do this at the moment.
Old Jul 10, 14, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Unless the matrix has been changed since August 2013 the aircraft should be sprayed on flights for Punta Cana to Antigua
Old Jul 10, 14, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you View Post
Unless the matrix has been changed since August 2013 the aircraft should be sprayed on flights for Punta Cana to Antigua
I am very concerned about this, having had Chikungunya myself and knowing how much pain it can cause. Who can I raise this with?
Old Jul 10, 14, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not sure, it's Antigua that require this not BA.
Old Jul 10, 14, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

On BA's website, it says:

We are required by the World Health Organisation (WHO) to spray the aircraft cabin on arrival into certain destinations to prevent the risk of insects spreading highly dangerous disease, such as malaria and dengue fever.

Punta Cana is listed there.

Search this Thread