FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Tier bonus avios after reaching threshold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1593167-tier-bonus-avios-after-reaching-threshold.html)

SlovakianBRIT Jul 10, 2014 9:10 am

Tier bonus avios after reaching threshold

Hi all, I had this question on another thread but nobody seemed to pick up on it. Does anybody have any knowledge of this?:

I passed the threshold for bronze status with a flight on Friday 4th July, and then had another flight in the morning on Saturday 5th July.

However I haven't received a tier points bonus for bronze status (25%) on the second flight (at which stage I would have had 330 Tier points before the flight).

Won't I get the tier point bonus for this flight?

I noticed that 'Order Executive Club Items' shows that my status was officially upgraded on the 7th July, even though the actual flight that crossed the 300 points threshold was on 4th July.

Do I have to kiss goodbye to these 317 avios!?

Teece Jul 10, 2014 9:14 am

You could try a PM to the missing Avios account to see if they can help, but as the system is automated, it would take manual intervention to fix this. You aren't the first to suffer this problem, and you won't be the last, sorry :)

SlovakianBRIT Jul 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Teece (Post 23174737)
You aren't the first to suffer this problem, and you won't be the last, sorry :)

surely BA can afford a system that updates quicker than the current one! I wonder how many people have lost Avios because of the delay in the system.

Tafflyer Jul 10, 2014 1:52 pm

That happened to me many moons ago and BA claimed it was not possible if it was part of the same booking. It was a minimal amount of Avios in my case, so I didn't bother pursuing it. I remember thinking it was BS when told.

When it was about to happen to Mrs Tafflyer, we deliberately removed her BAEC number from the final flight of the booking. After the status upgrade, we retro-claimed the flight which was processed with her new status. Self help against BA IT.

corporate-wage-slave Jul 10, 2014 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT (Post 23175884)
surely BA can afford a system that updates quicker than the current one! I wonder how many people have lost Avios because of the delay in the system.

I am sure you are right, but probably a greater number have taken AUPs and thought they got the right Avios/TPs without further challenge. There again, with so many issues to sort out on ba.com you can see why this bug hasn't been pushed up the waiting list recently, the business case for it would be negative.

SlovakianBRIT Jul 10, 2014 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 23176338)
I am sure you are right, but probably a greater number have taken AUPs and thought they got the right Avios/TPs without further challenge.

Thanks for that.....but what's an AUP? :rolleyes:

jerry a. laska Jul 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT (Post 23176380)
Thanks for that.....but what's an AUP? :rolleyes:

Airport Upgrade. A cash upgrade sold at the airport.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ght=aup+thread

SlovakianBRIT Jul 10, 2014 2:33 pm

So there's no point in me chasing up these 317 Avios then?

Globaliser Jul 11, 2014 2:35 am

Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT (Post 23176517)
So there's no point in me chasing up these 317 Avios then?

Why don't you start by using the webform on ba.com to explain why you'd like the extra Avios? Ultimately, whether there's any point in chasing depends on your attitude to the value of those Avios and the value of the time that you're devoting to the exercise.

lhrsfo Jul 11, 2014 3:46 am

Very generously, you could value Avios at 1p per Avios. That makes £3.17. You need to factor in how much effort you want to make for £3.17.

On a broader note, BA will know that the system under-awards Avios to its customers on a regular basis. I have no idea what BA's internal valuation of Avios is (obviously much much less than 1p) but nevertheless, the number it short-changes customers with will be very large indeed. Quite a good earner.

SlovakianBRIT Jul 11, 2014 4:11 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo (Post 23179313)
Very generously, you could value Avios at 1p per Avios. That makes £3.17. You need to factor in how much effort you want to make for £3.17.

Good point....I know that 317 Avios don't have much value.

However, when I cross the silver threshold next month, the same thing will happen again. Unfortunately, this will be on a flight to New York, so I will probably lose 2,593 Avios.

I thought that each flight accrues Tier points and Avios seperately. So why is it that when flights are booked together that customers lose Avios...seems very unfair to me.

orbitmic Jul 11, 2014 4:38 am

Originally Posted by SlovakianBRIT (Post 23179356)

I thought that each flight accrues Tier points and Avios seperately. So why is it that when flights are booked together that customers lose Avios...seems very unfair to me.

They do. The issue you have is that you are not happy that flights can take a day or two to post and then status change is not processed automatically once this happens meaning a further possible delay of one or two days. I think that this is a bit of a grey area, and one could argue that when status is downgraded, there is also a period of a few weeks after your end of accrual period during which the card is still valid, so at least it is not imbalanced (or if it is, rather in favour of passengers).

That said I would follow others' advice and call your service centre to ask about the bonus. My guess is that if the flight took place on the same day your status was upgraded, you won't stand much of a chance. However, if there were 1 or 2 days between the two, I would guess that they might be willing to give you the bonus manually.

SlovakianBRIT Jul 11, 2014 4:46 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 23179400)
I think that this is a bit of a grey area, and one could argue that when status is downgraded, there is also a period of a few weeks after your end of accrual period during which the card is still valid, so at least it is not imbalanced (or if it is, rather in favour of passengers).

I hadn't thought of that......you've made a good point. Sometimes the system will work in my favour.