Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

can't be long before club in europe is stopped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

can't be long before club in europe is stopped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Genius1
I've said it before, but I actually really like the afternoon tea offering. It would be nice to offer some more substantial sandwiches for those who want afternoon tea, and also to offer a salad as an alternative for those who don't want it.
I like the afternoon tea, too. On shorter sectors who needs a full meal at 4pm?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by T8191
Just finished 4 sectors in CE on ex-BMI on JER-LGW-MLA. No grief at all.

Only complaint was lack of pole-dancers and magnums of LPGS.

Perhaps I'm less sensitive than some 'petals' on FT?
Well as an ex-bmier myself, I don't mind them too much either but I can see why those with longer legs than me might find them an issue.

The only time the reduced legroom bothered me was when I had flew PRG-LHR-AMS and LHR-AMS was ex-bmi and PRG-LHR had the spacesaver seats. Because I had something to compare it with, the reduced amount of space was more noticeable.

I do like the middle seat table and I'm glad BA have adopted it.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've said it before, but I actually really like the afternoon tea offering. It would be nice to offer some more substantial sandwiches for those who want afternoon tea, and also to offer a salad as an alternative for those who don't want it.
My idea was to offer the band 3 economy flatbread plated, with the cake and scone as a way of making afternoon tea more substantial without breaking the bank and still keeping some unique features for CE.

If that was an option I wouldn't pre-order a special meal (usually a seafood salad).

Maybe if BA introduces pre-ordering they'd allow those who wanted something more substantial to reserve it (most people outside of flyertalk wouldn't look at the special meals if they didn't have any dietary requirements) but still keeping the afternoon tea as the default.

Although I will be honest, the last time I had afternoon tea (booked too close to departure for a special meal) although the sandwiches were the same size the filling was more substantial and was quite nice. Have they improved or did I just get lucky?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by cme17
If you don't fly business, how do you get Gold?
By earning 1500tp. If you fly long haul it's remarkably easy. 1 return a month in economy long haul, or 2 returns in discount economy.

My 3060 tp so far this year have had I believe just 180 from business (100 more than had I flown economy)
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
I'll take any alternative over Afternoon Tea so I'll ^ your suggestion.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
If you want to talk about problems, ask Lufty about F. I just checked in for a flight tomorrow and I appear to have a first class cabin to myself. And this is for a JFK flight.

Of course, Lufty also a rubbish business product on short-haul - worse than BA. But I fly it tomorrow because it is tagged onto my F long-haul, for the same reason many fly CE.
Lufty?

Come on raffles, you are better than this
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
+1. I have said it before, and I will say it again. There are some of you who want some sort of "substantial" meal at a time of day when (in my opinion) you should not be eating any "substantial" meal at all, and there are some of us who think three (in my opinion) generally tasty sandwiches, one (in my opinion) generally tasty cake and (as many as I want) scones is perfectly satisfactory for the time of day and "yes" I am one of the people who has said to BA he wants meals appropriate for the time of day (even though many people on this board think no such person exists). Can't we just all agree we all have different opinions and the world is better for variety!
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Appropriate for the time of day depends what timezone your body is in and also if you managed to get lunch before leaving for the airport. It's not unusual for me to have lunch at 3pm.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paul4040
I like the afternoon tea, too. On shorter sectors who needs a full meal at 4pm?
People who are hungry and expecting a full service on a business class flight costing hundreds of pounds ?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by bafan

People who are hungry and expecting a full service on a business class flight costing hundreds of pounds ?
It's not "appropriate to the time of day" really.... Afternoon tea is full service, it's just not a hot meal. Not everyone wants a hot meal all the time, and I certainly wouldn't eat dinner at 4pm.

If I'm on an afternoon tea service I'll either have eaten something warm in the lounge or be having a full dinner later.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by cutting42
Is that a serious question ???
Is it forbidden or something ???
Sorry - I meant if you don't fly business in Europe it will be extremely difficult to get Gold. You could get it flying Business in Europe but would be really difficult if you just flew in economy.

Last edited by cme17; Jul 10, 2014 at 3:01 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by paul4040
It's not "appropriate to the time of day" really.... Afternoon tea is full service, it's just not a hot meal. Not everyone wants a hot meal all the time, and I certainly wouldn't eat dinner at 4pm.

If I'm on an afternoon tea service I'll either have eaten something warm in the lounge or be having a full dinner later.
Certainly is also not appropriate for the time of day to serve you a meal that consists exclusively on white starchy carbs. Sandwiches and scones? Really?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by BillyBleach
I've been Gold for three years now flying WT+.
But we were talking about flying in Europe - no WT+ on European flights.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by mario

Certainly is also not appropriate for the time of day to serve you a meal that consists exclusively on white starchy carbs. Sandwiches and scones? Really?
Well, that's what you'll get if you order an afternoon tea in a British hotel or tea room, and that's what "afternoon tea" is.

Of course, many people here hate it - that's their personal preference, as I have mine.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: A variety of precious-metal themed cards; MUCCI
European business classes including CE have been in decline for years. One big reason not mentioned so far is the rise of the private jet set. The UK has Europe's second largest private jet/turboprop fleet (503 aircraft as of 2013) and 3 of the top 25 most-frequented private jet airports (Luton, Farnborough and Biggin Hill which collectively account for over 56,000 movements per annum). Add on the smaller NetJets airports such as Northholt and LCY and you're getting into real numbers.

Obviously many of these flights are between odd city pairs but quite a lot aren't - I've flown privately between London and Paris, Brussels and Copenhagen, for example.

I don't know how much of BA's premium customer base has been eroded by private jets - but certainly it was the part most willing to pay for a high service. These people are gone for good and it's no surprise the service is gone too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.