BA mealtimes

Old Jul 8, 14, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

BA mealtimes

We are traveling LAX-LHR on BA on an 8:45pm flight. I am traveling with children and I'm wondering if dinner will be served on a flight at this time and if it will be served shortly after take off-or should I bring them sandwiches?
Also, this is our first time in LHR with the children so if anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them!
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Hi karencorder,

Yes, there is a meal served shortly after take off. Then it's lights down and a chance to sleep until breakfast, which is served a couple of hours before landing. Drinks will continue to be available throughout the flight on request. It might be worth taking some sandwiches as well, if your children are placated by food.

How old are the kids? There are plenty of fun things to do in London, many of which are free. I would say take a look at the Science Museum, perhaps the London Transport Museum (if they are a bit nerdy like I was ), the Tower of London, and London Zoo. All these places cater for young children, and are quite educational for children and adults as well.
Old Jul 8, 14, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Eals are only served out of lcy, shortly after a starter of cockles
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
BA ealtimes

Ealtimes...yuk
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings karencorder

Originally Posted by where next View Post
Eals are only served out of lcy, shortly after a starter of cockles
I'm sure it's a reference to the E band themselves, The Eels, who came up with the wonderful track Novocaine For The Soul. Not suitable for children however (or many adults!).

However greetings karencorder, welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA board. It's good to see you here and I hope you have a great trip out of LAX. Please let us know how it went for you, and indeed please keep posting.

On that service they are fairly quick off their mark getting the food out, not least because the staff can't take a break until it's done, so there is an incentive on them to get moving.

I would suggest you take some drink and perhaps some treat food items / snacks to keep the little passengers going, more to avoid boredom on the whole. A bottle of water is a good idea if on the upper deck, it can get warm up there, less of an issue on the main deck. I am assuming it's a A380 service. So have a few dollars handy to buy a bottle after security, I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying some before travel! But hopefully the children will get the hang of the Inflight Entertainment and then they will be away.
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Ealtimes...yuk
Heavenly food. Preferably jellied.
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! We have 2 girls. A mild mannered pre-teen who has always been easy to travel with and a 4 year old with A LOT of umm...personality. Our fear is that she'll fall asleep before she eats (8:30 is her regular bedtime) and wake up in the middle of the night hungry and disturb everyone in our cabin. I can keep her awake for an hour or so then it's night-night until arrival!
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well as one very experienced person here once said, "relaxed parent = relaxed child". CIHY. I'm sure you'll be fine, have a great flight.
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:33 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board karencorder

You might find this forum useful regarding things to do in the UK and post any questions you would like answered. Someone will know the answer!

UK and Ireland Forum

Here is another link which is informative regarding BA, LHR etc.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ad-sticky.html
Old Jul 8, 14, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Dinner will be served about 90 minutes after takeoff, if you feel that your daughter will travel better sleeping at her normal bedtime then bring a sandwich.
We have boxes of snacks available in the galleys should she wake up and feel hungry.
Old Jul 8, 14, 2:51 pm

If you want to go to the natural history museum get there as soon as it opens as the queues can be a couple of hours long later in the day during the summer (it's free which adds to its popularity!) My 6 year old loved the Tower of London and seeing the Crown Jewels, I would highly recommend that.
Old Jul 8, 14, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by karencorder View Post
Thanks for the info! We have 2 girls. A mild mannered pre-teen who has always been easy to travel with and a 4 year old with A LOT of umm...personality. Our fear is that she'll fall asleep before she eats (8:30 is her regular bedtime) and wake up in the middle of the night hungry and disturb everyone in our cabin. I can keep her awake for an hour or so then it's night-night until arrival!
Why not bring some sandwiches and give her dinner at the airport? If 20.30 is her regular bedtime, it might be counter-productive to try and keep her awake if, say, the plane is delayed 1/2 hour or so, taxiing takes a bit of time, and dinner is not served immediately. This is particularly the case as assuming you are flying in economy, the crew will start with an aperitif, then clear, and only then bring dinner. In effect, this may mean that your dinner may well be served near or around 11ish (depending on whether the flight is on time, how long taxiing takes, how efficient the crew are, and where you are sat).

Last edited by orbitmic; Jul 8, 14 at 5:28 pm
Old Jul 8, 14, 4:56 pm

Hi Karen

We have a 4.5 year old and have been doing this flight with him once/twice a year since he was born. We always feed him at the airport and he is always asleep before take-off (something about a taxi-ing aircraft just about always sends him to sleep). We do the same too - try to maximise sleep by skipping the meal and going to sleep pretty much straight after wheels up.

Boo
Old Jul 9, 14, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
What about BOS-LHR with 22:45 departure?

Not an intention thread hijack, was just browsing the forum and saw OP's question and realized that it was similar to one of my own. Traveling solo BOS-LHR in WTP with a set departure of 22:45, wondering if we will get a meal that late or no?
Old Jul 9, 14, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by sperkins921 View Post
Not an intention thread hijack, was just browsing the forum and saw OP's question and realized that it was similar to one of my own. Traveling solo BOS-LHR in WTP with a set departure of 22:45, wondering if we will get a meal that late or no?
Yes you will. North America to UK flights generally leave late, but evening meals are provided soon after take off on all of them in all classes (the exceptions being the JFK and BOS day flights where it's breakfast/brunch set up). The only caveat are the Sleeper services in Club World, which have a lounge meal provided beforehand, but even then an evening meal is available. Personally, however, on that service I would eat well in Boston (which is not at all difficult) and then aim to maximise sleep by ditching the food altogether. Eating and reducing sleep on that particular service could lead to jetlag issues for many travellers.

Search this Thread