Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight now scheduled to arrive at 1am - transport options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)

My flight's just been delayed/rescheduled and apparently we'll now get back to LHR at 1am tomorrow morning. I've never arrived that late at night/early in the morning at T5, and I wondered what will happen re onward transport.

I am assuming BA won't proactively book us taxis but equally I am not sure given the late arrival whether there will be any/enough black cabs there to transport us all to our destinations. (I am not supposed to be catching an onward flight, I just want to get home!)

Alternatively I can book a room at the Sofitel for Ł285 and just go to work from there tomorrow morning - would I get that reimbursed?

Thanks for your advice
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Where are you trying to get to as that will very much dictate the answer?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
There's always night bus N9 every 20 minutes or so from T5 to various places in London, or connecting with other night buses at Trafalgar Square.

http://www.londonbusroutes.net/times/N009.htm

Disclaimer: I've never taken this bus so would find it difficult to recommend it.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Thanks all

North London. Not sure I fancy a nightbus to central London with 300 other disgruntled travellers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I have used the Night Bus, going to a West London hotel. It took a lot less time than daytime public transport, thanks to the empty streets, something like 30 minutes or so. The bus wasn't full by any means.

BA will generally pay taxi fares in this situation. They may try not to pay all of it, there are some caps, but nothing that a phone call won't sort out. The taxi drivers ensure there are taxis present at T5 through the night, or you could pre book a car, which reduces the risk of hitting BA's cap on taxi costs.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would book a car transfer from one of the numerous companies out there. You'll be reimbursed for that and even if you aren't you won't be much out of pocket.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:33 am

Book something (via Kabbee perhaps) and make a point of how you've been proactive and tried to reduce BA's costs (vs a black cab) - and they'll very quickly reimburse you.

I've done this, and similar (told them how I moved from a $$$$ hotel to a $$$ hotel during IRROPS to lessen their bill to me) - and have gotten thanks, reimbursed promptly and sometimes a few cheeky haribos too!

Nobody should have to sit on a night bus due to a flight being late. Horrendous.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
This is post LHR curfew hours where the airport normally shuts down.

In your position, my main worry would be the availability of immigration officers to let you into the UK and the availability of baggage handlers to off-load your bags. Both may take awhile adding to the costs and concerns about pre-booking a transfer into London
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
This is post LHR curfew hours where the airport normally shuts down.

In your position, my main worry would be the availability of immigration officers to let you into the UK and the availability of baggage handlers to off-load your bags. Both may take awhile adding to the costs and concerns about pre-booking a transfer into London
I landed at T5 at 0130 2 weeks ago. I had a bag to collect but I was still on the bus to LGW by 0200. I think there were 3 guys checking passports amd the luggage was already coming out by the time we got to carousel.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet

Alternatively I can book a room at the Sofitel for Ł285 and just go to work from there tomorrow morning - would I get that reimbursed?
I'd say no chance of that, especially if you live in or near London or within Ł285 taxi ride. Maybe you will have a chance of reimbursement for a portion of the hotel bill, but certainly not Ł285. You didn't seriously think so, did you?

Why not pre-book something? Black cabs are horribly uncomfortable for a long ride anyway, and at after 1 am there may not be many black cabs around (and with other passengers without transport option). You'd be much better off with pre-booked service, of which there are numerous.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Another vote for a pre-booked taxi, particularly if BA will reimburse this. I use one whose name begins with 247 and they've always been reliable. You can book online as long as it's more than 3 hours in advance.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:54 am

I would pre book a cab through LHR Cabs or SkyCabs, which are both very reasonably priced, get a receipt and claim it back through your travel insurance if you have cover or BA. But it all depends how late you are I guess.
There is no way they would re imburse GBP 285 for a hotel for a delay, and why should they, quite frankly. What was your originally planned arrival time?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You are not, by any chance, wIting for the delayed 8.15am from JFK are you?

Not that I can help much although could guest you into the lounge if necessary?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, we're due to leave in a couple of hours so I'll give it a bit then book a car service. I have a feeling we may get cancelled or put back again so we become an overnight flight (I am at JFK)
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Have PMd you Scrutton Street as I am here also and we can get 2 guests into the lounge if that's any help to you?

Cheryl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.