Ex-EU with a work schedule

Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by planestupid
Why would ex-EU flights mean you lose time on the return flight? I'd just get off at LHR and forfeit the last leg.
Do you do it frequently?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The bottom line is that 99.99% of people (including myself and all the people I work with from what I can see) fly from where they need to start to where they need to go unless they have a very specific reason to do otherwise (e.g. in my team we frequently organise to all fly on the same transatlantic to prepare our work together before connecting to our individual destinations). I would assume that people who go somewhere else to backtrack and get a cheaper fare or add unnecessary segments for mileage runs are an infinitesimal minority, most likely (almost) only found on Flyertalk and even then you'll find that it probably represents very few people.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SCSA
I booked an ex-Dublin to NYC flight for later this month. I'm flying Club for less than you'd pay for WT+ from LHR, but getting to Dublin turned out to be a squeeze. You basically have to take a full day off work for a flight that departs 18:45 from LHR. I have things I can take care of in Dublin and will go the night before, but it's a tougher call.

Why do you have to take a full day of work to get an evening flight?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Why do you have to take a full day of work to get an evening flight?
He means an evening flight from LHR, but is starting the journey from DUB.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by paul4040
He means an evening flight from LHR, but is starting the journey from DUB.
And getting out to DUB to start with too...
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I managed an ex eu to Africa this week for work, only in y unfortunately. Nested the long haul in the middle of two Paris trips and saved the company about Ł2000. It only really works because I regularly go to Paris for work.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
Originally Posted by want2goeverywhere
I managed an ex eu to Africa this week for work, only in y unfortunately. Nested the long haul in the middle of two Paris trips and saved the company about Ł2000.
Wow. Saving Ł2000 means your African Y return from LHR would be well in excess of Ł3000 to start with... I thought the oil money only flew J or F!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Gold77
Wow. Saving Ł2000 means your African Y return from LHR would be well in excess of Ł3000 to start with... I thought the oil money only flew J or F!
Flight was around 2700 in discount economy and my ex eu was 1000 EUR including the Paris trip that I would have taken anyway.

As for the company travel policy..... No comment
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
On a couple of occasions when I've been able to find a way to reduce the cost of a business flight substantially, I've always had the feeling that my boss is a bit wary in case everyone including bosses, gets told to apply the same techniques and thus make their own travel less convenient in some way.

So I might hand in a receipt for a Ł1600 air fare for the same journey everyone else is paying Ł3300 for (a real example that did not take much effort at all to achieve) but I kind of mumble about luck or something else indistinct about lucky to be able to connect off personal trip from the weekend if anyone queries.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Do you do it frequently?
I am doing it frequently on LH, AC and AF and occasionally on BA.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:25 am

Doesn't that selection leave you ending your trip in different countries if you drop the last sector? Do you end up positioning back to wherever home is on a different carrier in that case?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am doing it frequently on LH, AC and AF and occasionally on BA.
It would be interesting to know whether you've had any reaction from the airlines concerned, and of what nature.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Yeah..what those guys said. I could fly from LGW around 12:30 and have enough time to check in and catch the Dub-LHR flight, but even that requires leaving for the airport at 10:30.

Things may be easier when BA start flying LCY-DUB. Will be interesting to see how long spun off City Jet survives after that, and whether it's a move by BA to ultimately acquire them.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It would be interesting to know whether you've had any reaction from the airlines concerned, and of what nature.
No reaction whatsoever. Did you have any?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No reaction whatsoever. Did you have any?
I don't generally skip last sectors, because I've paid for the TPs, I organise things to be able to fly the last sector easily (see above), and so I'm determined to earn them if I can.

But it's a topic of much interest here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.