FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Seating Query (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1592198-seating-query.html)

redrose59 Jul 7, 2014 12:19 pm

Seating Query

Does anyone have any thoughts on seats 18E & 18F in CW, travelling from LHR to JHB on a 747? We think these seats would be ok as we're a couple travelling together. However as this will be our first time in CW ( thank you Avios ) we aren't too sure if these seats have any drawbacks we should know about.
Thanks for any advice.

Flier74 Jul 7, 2014 12:33 pm

There are no drawbacks on any of the middle seats on the 747 in CW in my opinion when travelling as a couple. No one will climb over you in the middle of the night. When OLCI opens try the Upper Deck though if you can still get seats then, that really is nice too. Row 18 is 2 rows away from the Toilet, which should be far enough from them.

Globaliser Jul 7, 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 23157181)
Does anyone have any thoughts on seats 18E & 18F in CW, travelling from LHR to JHB on a 747?

You might want to remember that in the airline industry, JHB is an airport that's in Malaysia, just north of the border with Singapore.

Personally, I wouldn't deliberately pick a middle pair unless there were no acceptable window/aisle pairs to be had (and preferably on the UD); and when I do, I'd go for the last row (for direct aisle access) - but I suspect that's unlikely to be available for you at the moment.

Are you having to pay to pre-allocate these?

Have a look at the main thread on this topic, too: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html

redrose59 Jul 8, 2014 3:38 am

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Ooops, of course Johburg is JNB!!! I've been there often enough and used to live there I should know, I'm blaming my age. ;-)

Yes we're paying for the seat selection so want to get it right. If we were in the middle seats I understand that we wouldn't have anyone climbing over us but am I correct in thinking that we'd have to climb over other folk?

nux Jul 8, 2014 3:43 am

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 23161080)
Yes we're paying for the seat selection so want to get it right. If we were in the middle seats I understand that we wouldn't have anyone climbing over us but am I correct in thinking that we'd have to climb over other folk?

Yes unless you are at a rear bulkhead, which are often bassinet seats.

Globaliser Jul 8, 2014 4:52 am

Originally Posted by redrose59 (Post 23161080)
Yes we're paying for the seat selection so want to get it right.

Personally, I would not pay money to select a middle pair, even as a couple.

But I do know that some people like the middle pairs very much.

oxmatt Jul 8, 2014 6:48 am

The JNB route is often completely sold out - on that basis I would pay for any two seats together if sitting together is important as I think the chances at OLCI would be much less than on other routes. I think a middle pair would be fine for a long overnight flight but the rearmost pair would be best (if the bassinet isn't used).

Flier74 Jul 8, 2014 7:28 am

Ahhhhh, since you pay for the seats, I would most definitely pay for a Window/aisle Seat combination, if not UD.

themapelligroup Jul 8, 2014 8:11 am

I agree with oxmatt and Flier74. If it's a special occasion I would indulge in the UD or to reserve your seats in advance to avoid having to sleep next to a stranger.

redrose59 Jul 9, 2014 7:27 am

Thank you all so much for your advice.

We've looked at what you all said and have now booked/paid for seats in the UD. It's going to be a real treat. Cheers everyone, what a great bunch of folk you are on this forum.