BA Shuttle call sign - why bother?

Old Jul 7, 14, 3:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, some hotels...
BA Shuttle call sign - why bother?

BA still uses a call sign of Shuttle for domestic flights (as opposed to Speedbird for the rest of the schedule), a leftover call sign from their 80s turn-up-and-go operation 'super shuttle'

It is not unusual for airlines to have different call signs for different legal entities, though this puzzles me too. For example EZY Switzerland is prefixed EZS and its call sign is Topswiss.

But when operated by the same aircraft and same crew why go to the bother of changing call signs. Pilot doing NCL-LHR announces himself as Shuttle xx and an hour later doing LHR-AMS calls himself Speedbird xxx.

Why do they bother and why not rationalising this?
Old Jul 7, 14, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Tradition !
Where would the British be without Tradition ?
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:08 am

From an ATC point of view, it's very handy.

We can instantly identify domestic shuttle flights that will therefore be routing north after departure, and adjust the sequence if necessary to achieve the most optimal order. Or give the crew an earlier heads up that an intersection departure would be available to them to make use of a gap between two southbound routing aircraft.

Also breaks the slight monotony of 'Speedbird this, Speedbird that'
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Do the BHD flights use 'shuttle' and DUB 'speedbird'?
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by layz View Post
I believe so

Same with JER which uses speedbird.

cs
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by layz View Post
Yes, the DUB flights keep the BA flight number as the callsign number, whereas the BHD change to the usual layout of Shuttle-Number-Letter.

Which is also convenient as routings to DUB are usually west rather than north so ties in with my previous comment.
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon View Post
I believe so

Same with JER which uses speedbird.

cs
Now we know why there's no LHR-NQY. As it's a domestic it should use the 'shuttle' call sign, but it wouldn't be heading north so would make life a little more awkward for ATC. Perhaps if the route is introduced the call sign will be 'pasty'

I wonder if 'shuttle' will remain on the Scottish flights if independence happens.
Old Jul 7, 14, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Gold77 View Post
But when operated by the same aircraft and same crew why go to the bother of changing call signs. Pilot doing NCL-LHR announces himself as Shuttle xx and an hour later doing LHR-AMS calls himself Speedbird xxx.

Why do they bother and why not rationalising this?
It's all part of the daily challenge of SH! And whoever gets shuttle/speedbird mixed up first has to buy the post flight refreshment...

Search this Thread