How bad are AA and US Airways?

Old Jul 6, 14, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
How bad are AA and US Airways?

Planning a trip to the States from the UK, flying out to NYC and back from Chicago. Flights seem unusually expensive (Mid Sept) and it's cheaper to come back on AA or US Airways. But my AA experience NYC - SF was horrific earlier this year (no entertainment at all and was lucky to be able to buy one of the four salads on board the ancient plane) and all the reviews online are terrible. Any thoughts? Worth stumping up to stay on BA? I've not flown any airline other than BA transatlantic before.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you priced BA-operated flights as AA codeshares on aa.com? Do you have any oneworld elite status that might enable you to select a seat in AA's "Main Cabin Extra" section of Economy on AA-operated flights?
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:37 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It might help if you say which class you're travelling - it will make a difference.

It's not worth comparing US domestic services with transatlantic ones - completely different kettle of fish as I understand it.

For what it's worth, and I can't comment regarding US as I've never flown them, given the choice between AA and BA transatlantic in economy, hell will freeze over before I select AA in those circumstances.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Blue
On the JFK route, AA use their new 77W aircraft with all new product on board, so it will be a good experience on that route (what cabin are you going to be in?)

US Airways, unless you do a connecting flight somewhere, do not fly direct to JFK or ORD, their hubs being PHL and CLT.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....
It's definitely class and status dependent this argument.
US in y no status
AA in y mce with status if legroom is important to you.
In J I'd take US or AA over BA on the overnight leg. Note AA is aircraft dependent.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:45 pm

I've flown transatlantic several times on both AA and BA, and while on the whole I believe the customer service on BA to be superior, I've had no negative experiences at all on AA. That's not been the case with USAir, sadly; avoid if possible.

AA does appear to be able to handle efficiently its baggage, though I'm sure that many will be able to offer anecdotal evidence to the contrary. Couldn't possibly be as monumental as BA's most recent, massive CU at LHR, however.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm going to be in Economy and have Silver Status. I'm tempted by the AA daytime flight. And this is Chicago to LHR.
Old Jul 6, 14, 3:59 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by williamn78 View Post
Thanks. I'm going to be in Economy and have Silver Status. I'm tempted by the AA daytime flight. And this is Chicago to LHR.
Schedule is a significant consideration in this case. An overnight flight in economy is about as much fun as entering a contest to eat the most sprouts possible over a period of 24 hours and you'll do yourself a huge favour if you can fly early and get back to Blighty before bedtime.

AA service in economy is, in my experience, dreadful. Their crews appear to hold economy passengers in contempt, and it really shows.

But, if it avoids an overnight flight, it's worth it. If it gets you a bit of extra legroom by dint of your silver, all the better.
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by williamn78 View Post
Seems sensible to me.
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Though I saw a review of the AA daytime flight that said there was no seat back entertainment, which would be pretty rubbish!
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by williamn78
Then this will be of interest to you:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCab...maincabinextra

Note that AA90 is operated with a 767-300, one of the older planes in AA's fleet.
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Though I saw a review of the AA daytime flight that said there was no seat back entertainment"

That's correct: AA's 767-300's have drop-down video screens, and about a dozen channels of audio entertainment, but no seat-back monitors. However, getting an MCE seat should make for a more comfortable trip than flying in Economy on BA.
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:16 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Your silver status should get you in the extra leg room seats (MCE) should it not?
You will then also get your choice of catering.

Get some headphones or ear buds, load up some music, or take a tablet for ife if essential.
Book a window seat, ignore any stressed crew or passengers. Get in the zone. It is 8 hours.... And it will slip by!
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I flew AA in Y to BOS a few years ago. I had low expectations and admittedly they were not exactly exceeded, but it was a very cheap flight and it was hardly traumatic. No PTV at that time on the 767, but I understand they do have PTV on the 777. Overall, if the price is right, AA are fine. Not flown J on AA but am told it is a very good service and easily on a par with BA´s offering.
Old Jul 6, 14, 4:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
If in J then from JFK you'll have the 77W and this seat is WAY better than BA's. I hear that Y on the 77W is pretty good too.

Search this Thread