FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Does BA.com have a prob with o\w avios upgrade bookings? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1591857-does-ba-com-have-prob-o-w-avios-upgrade-bookings.html)

jock Jul 6, 2014 7:38 am

Does BA.com have a prob with o\w avios upgrade bookings?

I seem to always have problems trying to find prices for one way UuA upgrades. Trying to find price for:

One way flight EDI-IAD, Wed 10th Dec UuA from PE to CW 1 Adult

I've tried all morning and it keeps telling me theres a fault, yet all other normal booking seem fine. Is there a fault perhaps? Or maybe I'm just rubbish at doing this sort of thing..either way can anyone help? Looking for price and amount of avios needed please..Many thanks

Genius1 Jul 6, 2014 8:12 am

Have you checked CW reward availability for the flight you want?

corporate-wage-slave Jul 6, 2014 8:15 am

And if you are able to get a dummy booking for CW in, the reason for the problem will be the EDI sector, which is well known in these parts. You would have to ring up.

jock Jul 6, 2014 11:30 am

Looked like the EDI sector was the problem.

When I look at a one way UuA into CW (LHR-IAD) it quotes me 10000 Avios and £1250. I take the price is the same for a return? I'm looking at doing EDI-IAD then a week later JFK-EDI. If I book two separate one ways surely it won't give me the discount..I take i'll have to call for the Avios multicity??

nux Jul 6, 2014 11:53 am

You can estimate the price by doing a dummy booking for a WTP return, which can be done online as a multi-city.

When doing a UuA you will also pay any extra taxes/fees/charges for a CW ticket over the underlying WTP ticket, which will be quite minor.

Best to book over the phone all at once, or book an open jaw WTP online and call to upgrade. Two one-ways will be far more expensive as you will be booking a more expensive one way WTP fare.

jock Jul 6, 2014 2:15 pm

WTP flight looks to be £1020 EDI-LHR-IAD then JFK-LHR-EDI, what might the taxes and fees be when I UuA??

nux Jul 7, 2014 12:34 pm

Do a dummy booking using ITA Matrix and compare the taxes/fees/charges for WTP and CW.

EsherFlyer Aug 8, 2014 1:44 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 23151824)
Two one-ways will be far more expensive as you will be booking a more expensive one way WTP fare.

So what is the recommended strategy for baggsying UuA on popular routes where if you wait for the target return sector to be released then the outbound one will have disappeared :eek:?

Are either / both of these workable :confused::
  1. When the outbound opens up book it as one-way with UuA. When the inbound appears call to have booking reissued as a return ticket, but preserving the outbound segment.
  2. Hope that the same-day return is available, book both directions in 'base' class while UuA-ing the outbound. When the return opens up make the change on that leg.

nux Aug 8, 2014 2:21 am

There are not many cost effective options for UuA. Booking a same day return the underlying ticket will be very expensive as most discount ones require a Saturday night stay.

EsherFlyer Aug 8, 2014 9:50 am

Originally Posted by nux (Post 23329614)
There are not many cost effective options for UuA. Booking a same day return the underlying ticket will be very expensive as most discount ones require a Saturday night stay.

Thanks - very good point.

Doesn't the ticket get repriced into lower buckets once the 'now including Saturday' return is added?

Would the same be true if going from one-way to return?