Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trying to use GUF2 - A-class available or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL

Howdy hey, People.

Just learned that my GUF2 vouchers books in A-class and not redemption class, which was great News.

Having a paid booing in Club Return to SFO, and checking flightstats.com for availability in A-class for 2 people. Flightstats show F8/A7 on the Return SFO-LHR on BA286 July 12th.

Called Bremen, and they told me there was absolutely no upgrade availability.

Is flightstats likely wrong or did the agent only search award bucket?

Glad for any help.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:15 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you book directly with BA and try and use a GUF then you need redemption availability in the cabin you are trying to sit in - so for first you need Z availability not A, and for CW you need U availability. Both are easily checked by just doing dummy bookings on BA.com.

If you book your trip using a GUF via a TA then that is when you can take advantage of booking in to the discount revenue classes which are obviously more widely available. So that is when you can book in to A for first, I for CW, and T for WTP.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm afraid you cannot use the A bucket when you go through BA. Doing what you are trying to do will need a redemption availability.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Ahaaaaa...

So it means that if I had booked the trip on Expedia (or similar), I could have called and made use of the A-class availability.

When booked on BA, I can't. Feels a bit backwards, but I suppose there is a reason out there among the stars.

Thanks anyway. I will get new ones next year, and probably the joker should make it possible for me to use some too.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Fnate

So it means that if I had booked the trip on Expedia (or similar), I could have called and made use of the A-class availability.
Not really. It has to be done by the travel agent at the time of booking, and not all travel agents would be cooperative or know what to do.

I doubt everyone at the likes of Expedia would be able to do this.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard

Has to be done by TA before issuing ticket. Can't be done retrospectively.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
Has to be done by TA before issuing ticket. Can't be done retrospectively.
Ok, thanks guys. I see the coming value of the Joker
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:51 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Not really. It has to be done by the travel agent at the time of booking, and not all travel agents would be cooperative or know what to do.

I doubt anyone at the likes of Expedia would be able to do this.
I edited a word for you - bold is my edit!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Beano HK
I edited a word for you - bold is my edit!
I was trying to avoid being presumptuous and being polite

(Having said that, no company using Orbitz type of booking system would endear me...)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Also note that Flightstats displays US POS availability. If your TA is UK based you will need to ensure there is UK POS A availability.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, BA Gold
So if I have a GUF but I have my corporate travel folks book the CW ticket I need to ensure they have the GUF in hand to book me directly in to First? Do I have that right?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by artcrt
So if I have a GUF but I have my corporate travel folks book the CW ticket I need to ensure they have the GUF in hand to book me directly in to First? Do I have that right?
Your corporate TA will have to have the GUF voucher number and use it when they create the booking. You can't retrospectively apply the voucher after they have created the booking either via the TA or with BA directly. There is a BA trade support page which you may wish to pass to them as it tells them what to do.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...d-card-upgrade

I guess your corporate TA amy or may not be willing to do a booking with a GUF - there don't seem to be many TAs generally who are happy to do such a booking.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Brilliant reply, thanks ever so much!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by artcrt
yes. ish.

They never actually book you into CW. They will hold a flight for you in First (A class), submit the flight to BA with a price quoted based on e.g. I class and mentioning your GUF voucher and BA will then approve (or not) that ticket at that price (i.e. they will check it's a valid fare / price and that they are happy to apply the voucher to have you booked into A).

So, the TA never books or holds a ticket for you in Club but it's done in F from the outset (hence not being able to 'upgrade' an existing ticket that has already been issued).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.