Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Pass for shopping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
If you are going outside the EU, there's no VAT. in other words, with VAT-inclusive prices, the shop gets more money. Let's say you get some earphones from Dixons for £12. If you are staying in the EU, then £10 goes to Dixons and £2 to HMRC. if you are leaving the EU, then all £12 goes to Dixons. The bp is evidence of export.
Is there any reason they can't/won't pass on the savings? I asked about some headphones the other day and they said it was the same price whether to EU or not
Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Lee_Again
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassie55

Staff can buy from airside shops.

Including duty free??

I always thought the BP entitled you to purchase goods at duty free prices. My understanding is that all goods can be purchased regardless of destination but dual pricing is effectively in place and the boarding card allows for the cheaper (if applicable) price to be charged. You'll often see 'VAT free price' on labels. This is particularly noticeable for high tax items like cigarettes and other tabaco products.

In terms of staff training it's far easier to say 'scan the BP every time' than it is to expect a non tax accountant to understand the rules. This works for cigarettes but is clearly daft for Skittles. However, it is pretty accurate, simple to understand and cheap to implement.
I read the question to be more related to non-duty free shops. Agree, in those, easier to just scan all. However, as said, the WH Smith "requirement" for a BP is different and not a requirement.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:45 pm

The reason they want the boarding pass is just to track customers, not specific ones, but passenger habits in general. I.e. how many on flights to Arlanda buys Absolut Vodka, and how many to Madrid buys Davidoff cigarettes. Not more sinister than that.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
Did we ever get to the bottom of the discussion about why shops needed to scan boarding passes when buying things? Just bought some Skittles at LCY and when asked for my boarding card I asked why?

They replied 'company policy' so I asked what they were going to do with the data, to which they said "we don't use it" so I said no then. They still sold be the Skittles!

Is it just a mindless response or am I missing something? If it was about them pocketing VAT surely they should say so?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
I believe this was the previous discussion:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-shops.html
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
For small buys (not booze or ciggies), eg a bar of Galaxy from WHS, I tend to tell staff my flight number and most if not all were ok with it so far.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:31 pm

This really annoys me.

I've had a couple of (friendly) conversations with cashiers about it. Duty free is one thing, but these are clearly not duty free environments, and non passengers could be customers.

Asking me for my boarding pass purely to sell my information and buying habits to marketers rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's not posed as a question.

I just politely decline to give it (or even tell them my flight number) when asked. Hasn't resulted in any issues the last several times of been in LHR and seems faster for all involved.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Is it not something to do with rental costs of retail space in the likes of UK airports and their spend per head targets to maintain/change current rates?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by statik
This really annoys me.

I've had a couple of (friendly) conversations with cashiers about it. Duty free is one thing, but these are clearly not duty free environments, and non passengers could be customers.

Asking me for my boarding pass purely to sell my information and buying habits to marketers rubs me the wrong way, especially when it's not posed as a question.

I just politely decline to give it (or even tell them my flight number) when asked. Hasn't resulted in any issues the last several times of been in LHR and seems faster for all involved.
They don't sell your information as they know nothing about you. If they are selling the data to anyone, they are selling it in the format someone above said - i.e. absolutely nothing personally identifiable (which would be illegal without your consent).

And while WHSmith clearly sells very little duty-free items, does this not work the same with VAT? Yes they're small amounts, but when you're turning over millions of pounds then it will add up.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Christiansson
The reason they want the boarding pass is just to track customers, not specific ones, but passenger habits in general. I.e. how many on flights to Arlanda buys Absolut Vodka, and how many to Madrid buys Davidoff cigarettes. Not more sinister than that.
Given I as the customer don't see any value in it for me though - and I seriously don't think it helps their planning / stocking at places like LCY - I decline.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
They don't sell your information as they know nothing about you. If they are selling the data to anyone, they are selling it in the format someone above said - i.e. absolutely nothing personally identifiable (which would be illegal without your consent).

And while WHSmith clearly sells very little duty-free items, does this not work the same with VAT? Yes they're small amounts, but when you're turning over millions of pounds then it will add up.
If they scan the barcode, the systems will read personally identifiable information (full name, exec club number, origin/destination/check-in sequence). What guarantee do I have that the computer is ignoring this and not storing it?

ETA: This is an example of what gets scanned: (taken from https://lh3.ggpht.com/48CkNe5011Opir...r2q8mQ=h900-rw)
M1JONES/JIMMR E5XUGTJ LHRNCLBA 1338 258C032A001 13B>10B1WW0314BBA 29 BA10458437

Last edited by evanderm; Jun 30, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by evanderm
If they scan the barcode, the systems will read personally identifiable information (full name, exec club number, origin/destination/check-in sequence). What guarantee do I have that the computer is ignoring this and not storing it?
None. Which is why I never hand over my boarding pass (actual Duty Free excepted). Sometimes staff insist on being told my flight number, which then usually becomes BA 157.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by chris1979
Given I as the customer don't see any value in it for me though - and I seriously don't think it helps their planning / stocking at places like LCY - I decline.
They can't be going a very good job then - the stocks are usually run out whenever I've been through LCY!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
Regardless of the legality of them selling that personally identifiable data in non aggregate form, I still don't like that they do it and they have it.

When they scan my boarding pass they get my name, when I was at their location, what flight I'm on, class of service, frequent flier number, etc. And they know that it was me, there are that location, again.

That's a lot of personal information I'd rather not give them.

My main point is I treat the request for the boarding pass as an optional request in these situations, and politely decline.

I would bet you that representatives and management from the establishments in question would agree, and clarify that it is NOT mandatory for customers to hand over their boarding passes to purchase a non duty free pack of gum and a bottle of water.

They just train their cashiers to ask, and the public is well trained to fork it over
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by statik

My main point is I treat the request for the boarding pass as an optional request in these situations, and politely decline.

I would bet you that representatives and management from the establishments in question would agree, and clarify that it is NOT mandatory for customers to hand over their boarding passes to purchase a non duty free pack of gum and a bottle of water.

They just train their cashiers to ask, and the public is well trained to fork it over
I agree with you. It annoys me that it comes across as a requirement and that they "trick" the average person into giving marketing and personal information when the same average person would probably untick any marketing box on a form or decline to take part in a survey or so.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I always thought the airline got some sort of commission for the sales their pax made - duty free items or not. I thought there was a big hoo-ha about Ryanair wanting to increase it's cut of airside sales or else it was going to pull out of (yet another) airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.