Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

F + CW Redemptions - Should they only be available initially for Golds and Silvers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F + CW Redemptions - Should they only be available initially for Golds and Silvers?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
If you go there, they might as well put a minimum TP requirements to be earned from BA/JBA codeshare etc for each tier rather than a pure number of flights.

(I still think there should be a minimum BA/JBA flying requirements well above 4 BA sectors for GGL/CCR since they are not OW tiers.)
Or perhaps a spend threshold?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Surely the simple fact is that after so many ad hoc small changes the BAEC programme needs a major revamp, such as there was a number of (10 ?) years ago. There were howls of protest on this Forum about recalibration of card thresholds and the consequential recalibration of TP earnings on premium flights, and all was prophesied as doom and gloom and the end of life as we knew it. There were predictions that the BAEC would never survive on account of the mass defections which would follow, but strange to relate that it has.

As someone approaching the end of their business flying career with a vast stash of Avios beyond the dreams of most mere mortals, and looking forward to the joys of being able to take longhaul leisure flights in the future, it would be nice to think that BA will not screw me royally as I drop back through the tiers to (in all probability) a humble Bronze in a few years time.

However, as there is no room for sentiment in business, I have no real expectation that literally decades of loyalty to BA will be recognised, or even remembered. A fair quantity of the flying was done before TPs were even thought of, so does not count towards LTG. That is a separate story and is perhaps the first sign that in the corporate world people have very short memories of customer loyalty.

Unless you are absolutely confident of obtaining LTG (and who says the threshold for that will not in the future be increased, or the status closed to new members) be careful what you wish for whilst riding on the crest of a Gold or Silver wave !
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by PETER01
Ha! There have been some witty and humorous posts, dry as they may be
My pleasure.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Surely the simple fact is that after so many ad hoc small changes the BAEC programme needs a major revamp, such as there was a number of (10 ?) years ago. There were howls of protest on this Forum about recalibration of card thresholds and the consequential recalibration of TP earnings on premium flights, and all was prophesied as doom and gloom and the end of life as we knew it. There were predictions that the BAEC would never survive on account of the mass defections which would follow, but strange to relate that it has.

As someone approaching the end of their business flying career with a vast stash of Avios beyond the dreams of most mere mortals, and looking forward to the joys of being able to take longhaul leisure flights in the future, it would be nice to think that BA will not screw me royally as I drop back through the tiers to (in all probability) a humble Bronze in a few years time.

However, as there is no room for sentiment in business, I have no real expectation that literally decades of loyalty to BA will be recognised, or even remembered. A fair quantity of the flying was done before TPs were even thought of, so does not count towards LTG. That is a separate story and is perhaps the first sign that in the corporate world people have very short memories of customer loyalty.

Unless you are absolutely confident of obtaining LTG (and who says the threshold for that will not in the future be increased, or the status closed to new members) be careful what you wish for whilst riding on the crest of a Gold or Silver wave !
Fantastic post.... it started off slightly sombre.... almost "sad".

But that is a great punchline. ^
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by xenole
I don't shop at Waitrose as the nearest one is a good 37 miles from me. Having been in there, it's no better than anywhere else in my opinion.
Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury are all within a few hundred metres of each other so it's more practical to use these. Morrisons is a bit out of town and I don't feel they have a good selection compared to the other supermarkets so don't go there often unless there's some sort of mega bargain.

Sainsbury do have the best bread out of those 3 although they have cheapened the ingredients over the years.

I'm not going to go out of my way to pay £4 for something at Waitrose when it's £1 at Asda even if the store is full of chavvy onesie wearing single teen mothers etc.

I shop for convenience and if prices are similar, CC points are an added incentive to me.

Probably more than that considering how familiar some of BA's agents seem to be with these routings

Never sure why some of the comments mention a disdain for those shopping at Tesco and then converting CC points to Avios yet they'll go out with their Amex card, do something like a weekly shop at Waitrose and then convert the MR? points to Avios.
If your Tesco has or will have a Euphorium bakery in store, the quality of the bread that they offer will be a large improvement over Tesco. The Cranberry bread that they used to do at mine (and now sadly don't) was very tasty, I could eat an entire loaf in one night.

Oh and no way should the F & CW redemptions be for just Gold and Silver (and I speak as a SCH),
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Blue
Having spent some time reading through the thread, and yes I have lost the will to live now, I think the simple answer is NO.
You get extra perks as you move through the tiers and this makes up for the levelish playing field in finding and booking redemption flights and as has been said often during the thread be careful what you wish for.
This from someone who was surprised to get bronze last year and knows that its blue forever from October none of the changes suggested would work for me and some would be quite unfair, and yes I know life is unfair having been born and suffered while still waiting for death.

Or put another shorter way and going all street now, just live with it b****s!

DMF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're born to suffer and die. (Quickly if you are lucky but more likely horribly and slowly, trust me I know)
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by paulwuk
So you admit your primary concern is the price of the ticket, regardless of how Ba reward you for frequent flying?

Those of us that actually choose to buy dozens of long haul duly flex flights each year from Ba, rather than virgin or others, can be swayed over by things like reward miles.

Ba don't care if the money they get comes from a taxable source or not, it's the same pound in their bank account.

P.S anyone flying 1 F return a year will be bronze, or statusless. I date say the average statusless passenger is worth more to Ba than the average blue. I also would wager that 90% of people collecting avios who aren't frequent flyers will be redeeming on short haul economy.

A better option IMO than limiting rewards would be to increase uua availability and decrease straight redemption buckets. I'd also allow more uua from WJC, perhaps into IA buckets (perhaps only at t-24). Chances are the flex flyer has paid more than the I flyer in any case.
A delayed response.
I am a bit confused about the points you are trying to make. I did not say price sent me to other airlines. Over the years and now some threads here, I have spoken of lackluster to downright insulting service on ground and in the air, EXHORBITANT avios required for a long haul and ridiculos surcharges that used to parade as Fuel Surcharge or Carrier imposed fees.
And how many of you will continue to fly long haul premium cabins / full flex tickets when your business stops paying for them ? Nobody as a rule wants to spend more than they have to.

Don't know where "taxable" income is doing here .
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by HMPS
A delayed response.
I am a bit confused about the points you are trying to make. I did not say price sent me to other airlines. Over the years and now some threads here, I have spoken of lackluster to downright insulting service on ground and in the air, EXHORBITANT avios required for a long haul and ridiculos surcharges that used to parade as Fuel Surcharge or Carrier imposed fees.
And how many of you will continue to fly long haul premium cabins / full flex tickets when your business stops paying for them ? Nobody as a rule wants to spend more than they have to.

Don't know where "taxable" income is doing here .
I don't consider the Avios charges "exorbitant". It's 330k for a return to SYD in F on EK, with no chance of a 241 and hardly any of the earning opportunities we have for Avios.

I think BA's prices are fairly reasonable, although the taxes and fees bit is always a killer.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I don't consider the Avios charges "exorbitant". It's 330k for a return to SYD in F on EK, with no chance of a 241 and hardly any of the earning opportunities we have for Avios.

I think BA's prices are fairly reasonable, although the taxes and fees bit is always a killer.
Do compare anywhere USA to NRT, HKG, PEK, BOM, DEL......see how many miles on Star A for R/ T in J.

Example. ........ ORD BOM. J Star A ( UA, LH, TG, combinations....)

Star A. 120000 miles. Fees Taxes. $135

BA. 180000 Avios. Fees. taxes. $ MORE than $1130.

You do the math. Since one USD gets you one mile or Avios on CC spend.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Do compare anywhere USA to NRT, HKG, PEK, BOM, DEL......see how many miles on Star A for R/ T in J.

Example. ........ ORD BOM. J Star A ( UA, LH, TG, combinations....)

Star A. 120000 miles. Fees Taxes. $135

BA. 180000 Avios. Fees. taxes. $ MORE than $1130.

You do the math. Since one USD gets you one mile or Avios on CC spend.
LH J... Good one.

ORD-BOM is around 8k miles (via FRA) which puts you in Asia Miles zone E. That's 145k for a J return.

120k for LH J or 145k for CX J? Taxes and fees would be similar. No contest in my eyes.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
LH J... Good one.

ORD-BOM is around 8k miles (via FRA) which puts you in Asia Miles zone E. That's 145k for a J return.

120k for LH J or 145k for CX J? Taxes and fees would be similar. No contest in my eyes.
I did TG ( including A 380) ORD BOM in J for 120 K miles last January. Combo with UA and ANA ( 77W ER) .

Doing one way in J on QR for same route for 67500 miles. Fees under $ 65)

How does BA stack up here ? That is if you can get thru to them or space is available !
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did TG ( including A 380) ORD BOM in J for 120 K miles last January. Combo with UA and ANA ( 77W ER) .

Doing one way in J on QR for same route for 67500 miles. Fees under $ 65)

How does BA stack up here ? That is if you can get thru to them or space is available !
You are comparing the redemption options and availability offered by all of *A against BA metal only and surprised to find BA does badly?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
You are comparing the redemption options and availability offered by all of *A against BA metal only and surprised to find BA does badly?
I wasn't going to bother arguing. I've made the point that CX compares perfectly well to the examples given.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
no problem, I said Star A but any of it's partners like LH UA TG etc can and did it for 120 K miles and a fraction of BA's stratospheric "fees".

BA' problems with availability and difficulties , web site that is not upto date have been repeatedly mentioned on various BAEC threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.