GUF availability

Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:26 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
GUF availability

I have 3 GUFs from my current membership year. Two will expire in June next year, and the other in April.

I'd like to use 2 of them therefore by mid April. My wife and I aren't tied to any destination in particular so I think it'll come down to availability.

Could the FT community advise where best they feel I'd find CW availability and subsequently F availability using the GUF.

Many thanks

M
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Which routes have you checked already?

Routes with multiple flights, such as many US cities, or perhaps HKG, may be worth checking for possible availability. You could also look at say flying into New York and out of Washington? You would need to call to book a booking like this.

Doing some searches in the redemption section on ba.com is the only way to be sure.

If you are flexible on dates, you should be able to find J or F availability. If you want to travel in F, there will need to be F availability, rather than J and F availability I believe. In addition, do look to book as far ahead as possible.

Last minute availability may be possible but not likely to be of interest to you.

Good luck!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I assume you are looking for redemption / avios availability into J and then looking to use the GUF to upgrade to F?

In my limited experience, I have been impressed how easy (once all done) it was to use the GUF to upgrade to F using a TA but that obviously meant me paying for J (at a great price in recent IL sale) and finding a flight that had A class available. If that's an option, you should' be able to use the GUFs relatively easily.

If you are looking to upgrade a redemption booking, keep checking as others have pointed out. There is availability but you might need to be flexible one dates and day of the week you can travel (eg you are less likely to find a prefect match Saturday to Saturday trip but a mid-week to mid-week might improve your chances.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Having discussed, I think we will aim to head to Japan for a couple of weeks...if possible with a stop in HKG as she has never been. In theory, I'd like to spend 3 days in HKG and then the rest of the trip in Japan.

I'd pay for J and upgrade to F, but would consider Cathay if I can use the GUF with them?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Having discussed, I think we will aim to head to Japan for a couple of weeks...if possible with a stop in HKG as she has never been. In theory, I'd like to spend 3 days in HKG and then the rest of the trip in Japan.

I'd pay for J and upgrade to F, but would consider Cathay if I can use the GUF with them?
No, only on BA metal AFAIK.

Might be worth seeing in you can get availability for a flight into HKG and back from either TKY airport, or v.v.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

No you cannot. Again, from the rules:
Gold Upgrade vouchers are available for British Airways and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Jun 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:45 pm

1. The Gold Upgrade for Two is a single cabin class upgrade available on a single or return booking of up to 2 people made on the same reservation. For example: :
•Euro Traveller to Club Europe
•World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller Plus to Club World
•Club World to First (where fitted on the aircraft)

2. The Gold Upgrade for Two must be booked within 12 months from the date of issue.

3. The Gold Upgrade for Two can be used in conjunction with any published fare sold directly by British Airways, including Avios Points redemption bookings. However, it excludes group bookings and those sold as part of a packaged holiday. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any industry or agency discounted fares.

4. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Avios Points for Upgrade or Gold Upgrade for Two) or any other promotions/offers.

5. Rules of the ticket are governed by the original fare paid. In the case of redemption tickets Standard Redemption Rules apply.

6. The Gold Upgrade for Two is available for British Airways and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.

7. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.

8. To upgrade a new Avios Points booking please go to ba.com or contact your Service Centre, or to upgrade an existing Avios Points booking please contact your Service Centre. To upgrade a new paid booking please go to ba.com, or, in UK and North America contact your Service Centre. If outside UK and North America please contact your Sales Office. To upgrade an existing paid booking, please contact your Service Centre. You must advise at time of booking that you wish to use your Gold Upgrade for Two. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be redeemed at the airport.

9. When a Member books a Gold Upgrade for Two direct with British Airways the Member must pay for the ticket, but is permitted to give the ticket and upgrade to someone else.

10. The Member and/ or those travelling using the Gold Upgrade for Two will be personally responsible for any tax payable by them as a result of this offer.

11. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not an entitlement to travel and is subject to reward capacity restrictions.

12. Cancellations: If you cancel your upgraded booking the rules of the original ticket apply. If a cancellation is made more than 24 hours before departure your Gold Upgrade for Two will be reinstated, provided the Gold Upgrade for Two is within its 12 month validity period. If a cancellation occurs within 24 hours of departure, the Gold Upgrade for Two will be invalid for further use.

13. If using your Gold Upgrade for Two on an existing booking and your ticket has already been issued, you will need to send in your tickets 21 days in advance of travel, for your tickets to be re–issued. If you hold an e–ticket this will take 24 hours.

14. Infants: If an upgraded booking contains an infant travelling on an infant fare, the infant will be automatically upgraded with the adults. Child fares will be subject to the same rules as adults.

15. Household Accounts: Any Household Account Member who earns the Gold Upgrade for Two must redeem it personally. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not part of the Household Account pool and cannot be redeemed by another Member of the Household Account. Household Account Members who earn the Gold Upgrade for Two are subject to applicable Household Account redemption rules, whereby the Gold Upgrade for Two can only be used for Members within the Household Account. These upgrades cannot be allocated to Executive Club members under age 18. An upgrade earned by a member under 18 is allocated to the Head of that member’s Household Account.

16. Standard booking lead times apply for your area, Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

*Standard booking lead times apply. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
1. The Gold Upgrade for Two is a single cabin class upgrade available on a single or return booking of up to 2 people made on the same reservation. For example: :
•Euro Traveller to Club Europe
•World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft)
•World Traveller Plus to Club World
•Club World to First (where fitted on the aircraft)

2. The Gold Upgrade for Two must be booked within 12 months from the date of issue.

3. The Gold Upgrade for Two can be used in conjunction with any published fare sold directly by British Airways, including Avios Points redemption bookings. However, it excludes group bookings and those sold as part of a packaged holiday. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any industry or agency discounted fares.

4. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be used in conjunction with any bookings that have already been subject to an upgrade (Avios Points for Upgrade or Gold Upgrade for Two) or any other promotions/offers.

5. Rules of the ticket are governed by the original fare paid. In the case of redemption tickets Standard Redemption Rules apply.

6. The Gold Upgrade for Two is available for British Airways and franchise operated flights only. Partner and codeshare flights excluded.

7. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be applied to a booking containing any other carriers than British Airways.

8. To upgrade a new Avios Points booking please go to ba.com or contact your Service Centre, or to upgrade an existing Avios Points booking please contact your Service Centre. To upgrade a new paid booking please go to ba.com, or, in UK and North America contact your Service Centre. If outside UK and North America please contact your Sales Office. To upgrade an existing paid booking, please contact your Service Centre. You must advise at time of booking that you wish to use your Gold Upgrade for Two. The Gold Upgrade for Two cannot be redeemed at the airport.

9. When a Member books a Gold Upgrade for Two direct with British Airways the Member must pay for the ticket, but is permitted to give the ticket and upgrade to someone else.

10. The Member and/ or those travelling using the Gold Upgrade for Two will be personally responsible for any tax payable by them as a result of this offer.

11. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not an entitlement to travel and is subject to reward capacity restrictions.

12. Cancellations: If you cancel your upgraded booking the rules of the original ticket apply. If a cancellation is made more than 24 hours before departure your Gold Upgrade for Two will be reinstated, provided the Gold Upgrade for Two is within its 12 month validity period. If a cancellation occurs within 24 hours of departure, the Gold Upgrade for Two will be invalid for further use.

13. If using your Gold Upgrade for Two on an existing booking and your ticket has already been issued, you will need to send in your tickets 21 days in advance of travel, for your tickets to be re–issued. If you hold an e–ticket this will take 24 hours.

14. Infants: If an upgraded booking contains an infant travelling on an infant fare, the infant will be automatically upgraded with the adults. Child fares will be subject to the same rules as adults.

15. Household Accounts: Any Household Account Member who earns the Gold Upgrade for Two must redeem it personally. The Gold Upgrade for Two is not part of the Household Account pool and cannot be redeemed by another Member of the Household Account. Household Account Members who earn the Gold Upgrade for Two are subject to applicable Household Account redemption rules, whereby the Gold Upgrade for Two can only be used for Members within the Household Account. These upgrades cannot be allocated to Executive Club members under age 18. An upgrade earned by a member under 18 is allocated to the Head of that member’s Household Account.

16. Standard booking lead times apply for your area, Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.

*Standard booking lead times apply. Members are responsible for paying additional taxes, fees, charges and surcharges.
Point 7 is no longer correct. I posted the updated rules on a thread on GUF yesterday (not on a computer today so struggling to post a link). As of 27th May it is possible to use GUF on tickets that contain other carriers - though upgrades will obviously only be applied for BA metal flights.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:06 am

If you are willing to pay for J, then using the GUF suddenly becomes much easier than hoping / looking for redemption.

You will need to find a travel agent who can do this for you (I can recommend someone if you you need someone). Essentially, all you need is A class availability on your flight. Depending on when you are looking to travel, it'll obviously be cheaper if you find a good I class sale / fare. I managed to get flights to SYD (ex EU) for a bargain price and using a GUF to fly F. My outbound is via HKG so BA F to there and then CX J on 2 class plane. Return is BA F SYD - LHR.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
Point 7 is no longer correct. I posted the updated rules on a thread on GUF yesterday (not on a computer today so struggling to post a link). As of 27th May it is possible to use GUF on tickets that contain other carriers - though upgrades will obviously only be applied for BA metal flights.
Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:39 am
Original Poster

If you are willing to pay for J, then using the GUF suddenly becomes much easier than hoping / looking for redemption.

You will need to find a travel agent who can do this for you (I can recommend someone if you you need someone). Essentially, all you need is A class availability on your flight. Depending on when you are looking to travel, it'll obviously be cheaper if you find a good I class sale / fare. I managed to get flights to SYD (ex EU) for a bargain price and using a GUF to fly F. My outbound is via HKG so BA F to there and then CX J on 2 class plane. Return is BA F SYD - LHR.
I am quite happy to pay for the flights in CW (at present the flights in CW to Tokyo are circa £2,800 per person). The flights in F are £4,000 per person which isnt actually too bad in my opinion.

I have a TA at Dial-a-flight who is quite helpful for flights, and I am based in NCE so ex-EU isnt a problem. That being said, if you could PM me the details of your TA that would be great!

Many thanks

M
Old Aug 6, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Does that mean that I could book:

LHR-HKG-NRT-LHR using the GUF on LHR-HKG and NRT-LHR?

If not I've found availability online for LHR-NRT-LHR in F (CW+GUF) but obviously the online system is a little lacking in options.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:03 pm

Does that mean that I could book:

LHR-HKG-NRT-LHR using the GUF on LHR-HKG and NRT-LHR?

If not I've found availability online for LHR-NRT-LHR in F (CW+GUF) but obviously the online system is a little lacking in options.
theoretically yes as far as I understand it.

it needs to be a BA ticket (125 stock) and you can only use the GUF on BA metal. but there can be code-share flights on other carrier's metal on the ticket. I am not entirely sure if it only works on a BA code-share (i.e. the foreign metal has a BA flight number) or if it can include just another Oneworld flight (my flights from HKG to SYD are on a BA flight number but obviously CX metal).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm ok.

Thanks for the info - I'll give BA a call and see what they say as I'm quite keen to book sooner rather than later...I was actually surprised I even found availability!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:56 pm

Hmmm ok.

Thanks for the info - I'll give BA a call and see what they say as I'm quite keen to book sooner rather than later...I was actually surprised I even found availability!
the TA GUF booking into A class is a hidden gem / great way of overcoming the (real or perceived) issue around availability as you aren't relying on BA to release Z class F tickets but just need to find flights that have A class (which most flights will until a certain number of pax have booked on those flights).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.