Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GCH "enhancement": denied priority boarding [at TLV]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GCH "enhancement": denied priority boarding [at TLV]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Thumbs down GCH "enhancement": denied priority boarding [at TLV]

Flew back from TLV yesterday on BA164.

I was the 3rd person in the priority lane queue...when boarding started I was told I had to wait for all F and J passengers to board and was sent at the back of the queue.

Boarding agent realized I was a GCH however she said I had to wait for all F and J passengers to board first.

It was quite embarrassing, people may have thought I just tried to do something I was not eligible for (first world problem I know, but still I was embarrassed when I had to turn back and all passengers looked at me).

Thanks BA.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:38 am

Good.

Status should get you to the front of the queue in your cabin only imo. It's terrible on BA F when you have to queue behind countless status passengers to get onboard.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by phol
Good.

Status should get you to the front of the queue in your cabin only imo. It's terrible on BA F when you have to queue behind countless status passengers to get onboard.
So what's the point giving priority boarding based on BAEC status?

If you hold a F ticket and you are keen to stand up before others you are still first man boarding the plane.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good.

No, not good. Priority boarding for GCH is an advertised benefit. Such inconsistencies should be avoided.

H
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Good.

Indeed, the way it should be on LH: first F, then J, then status passengers and WT+, then Y. The way it is organised today with sometimes 50% status passengers lining up for priority boarding makes this 'priority' boarding a joke. Sooner or later BA will have to implement this enhancement.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoch
No, not good. Priority boarding for GCH is an advertised benefit. Such inconsistencies should be avoided.

H
Agreed, hence my thread.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I agree with both of the first two posters!

If BA are to advertise priority boarding to GCHs as a benefit then it should honour that commitment.

On the other hand, I also feel that the current situation where there is only one priority boarding call is silly. There should be a pecking like AA do, ie pax needing help,or with v young kids/ babies, then First, then Biz, then Emerald, then Sapphire, then everyone else, and it should be made VERY clear that other pax who have yet to be called should make way for those who are boarding. Can't understand the Bronze/Ruby priority boarding TBH.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Priority boarding is an inbuilt feature of an F and J ticket.

If you are travelling in economy, your status should give you priority only over other economy passengers; I think it makes sense to let F and J passengers board first.

As long as you are allowed to "skip" the economy queue - then you have priority boarding and I don't see the problem.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
If you were allowed to board before no status pax and those in Third World Traveller then you did get Priority Boarding - just not the priority you expected.

I have seen this more and more recently - priority boarding announced in stages - F and J, then OW Emerald, then OW Sapphire etc. It means they can provide priority boarding but not to everyone at the same time.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 1:57 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Priority boarding is an inbuilt feature of an F and J ticket.

If you are travelling in economy, your status should give you priority only over other economy passengers; I think it makes sense to let F and J passengers board first.

As long as you are allowed to "skip" the economy queue - then you have priority boarding and I don't see the problem.
I don't know, I like to board with at least the J pax as a status pax to buy myself time to get comfortable in a more relaxed way, without having the masses waiting impatiently for me to stow all my stuff.

I can appreciate that F pax should be boarding first if they are already at the gate but BA's policy is priority boarding for status pax irrespective of cabin flown and as hoch said above, inconsistency is not good.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:03 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I agree with the other posters that think prenium pax should have priority over status pax in non premium classes.

I find it quite anoying when there are only about a dozen pax in CE, but the priority boarding que is larger than the general boarding que.

I think BA have extended priority boarding to way to many people, so that prority boarding has become close to useless.

bjorns
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:03 am

Programs: Le Creuset 26cm square grillit club, laithwaites red club
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A501 Safari/9537.53)

I don't understand why a bronze card holder can board at the same time as a F ticket holder?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Despite how many of us here think priority boarding should be, and the pecking order etc, the policy is clear.

The problem is that BA have difficulty implementing priority boarding as it is; even letting econ non-status pax on board at the same time as CE/Status pax (as always happens at BUD). Do you really think they can manage anything even more complex?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:23 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Ah yes, the nth Law of the BAEC FT Forum - the proposed level (cabin, status, tier points, avios) at which a defined benefit should be given is immediately below the level personally attributable to the proposer.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Stez
I don't know, I like to board with at least the J pax as a status pax to buy myself time to get comfortable in a more relaxed way, without having the masses waiting impatiently for me to stow all my stuff.
Ah, but to the F and J passengers, you are 'the masses'

What BA promises seems to be a little unclear. On my home page I am promised 'first class check-in and boarding' as a GCH, but the tier benefits comparer for Gold, Silver and Bronze list an undifferentiated 'priority' boarding. In any event, it's hardly an uber-luxury privilege for F passengers to be allowed to board ahead of everyone else except Golds, Silvers and Bronzes, and I struggle to see why it's unreasonable for premium cabin passengers to be called for boarding ahead of Golds, Silvers, Bronzes, etc. if time and airport layout make that feasible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.