Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GCH "enhancement": denied priority boarding [at TLV]

GCH "enhancement": denied priority boarding [at TLV]

Old Jun 27, 14, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
The fast-track signs at the gates list eligible passengers. It makes no distinction of any priority within that. The default should therefore be that anyone eligible can use the lane.
It does list the various entitlements in order from top to bottom, although agreed it's not exactly clear if it intends it to be an order or not.

F
J
Gold
Silver
Emerald
Sapphire

Or something like that. Been a couple of months since I've flown BA.
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
Does this mean that going forward GCH should not be eligible for F check in desks? What would happen if a F ticket holder would need to wait for a GCH flying Y?
The key difference between check-in and boarding as I see it is that passengers arrive for the former spread across a much longer time than the latter.
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:25 am

Programs: ABBA
I'm amazed. I haven't flown from TLV this year, and my first trip to the region looks like it will be a LHR-TLV,AMM-LHR open jaw, but in the past I've never seen any priority boarding.

At LHR I rarely find a problem with boarding on long haul flights, the ratio seems about right in that I turn up and go straight down fast track bypassing dozens in non-fast track.

Baring in mind the nth rule, I suggest that priority boarding should

1) Be only available for those who have flown at least 100 sectors in the last year
AND
2) Be only available for those on full fare tickets (F,J,W,Y). I might make an exception for C and B.

The rest should have a gladiatorial contest, with Lions and Tigers and Bears, to see who triumphs in the boarding sweepstakes. Anyone surviving is allowed to board. At the back.
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
The fast-track signs at the gates list eligible passengers. It makes no distinction of any priority within that. The default should therefore be that anyone eligible can use the lane.
BINGO!
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:28 am

I don't see any need to segregate based on status vs cabin, however if you're flying in F or J and don't have at least Bronze status, you're not a very loyal BA customer, so should be boarding behind the blues in economy.

Thus order should be

GGL
Gold
Silver + Emerald
Bronze + Saphire
Ruby
Prem
Full Fare with no status (not even blue)
Discount with no status (not even blue)
Ex-EU with no status (not even blue)
Blue in Economy
Blue in WTP
Blue in Business
Blue in F
Anyone buying their ticket with Tesco Avios
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA, KL
Could an ordered list not be considered as implying an internal hierarchy of priorities?

The signs don't say, "in no particular order", after all!
Old Jun 27, 14, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Wink

Being Bronze through leisure travelling and always in CW or CE, I would rather board after the majority have boarded, especially in CE when you are trying to put your stuff away and the ET passengers start to line up behind you delaying boarding.
If the overhead lockers are full check how many passengers are in CE and then how many bags are there in the lockers and ask the CSD to find out who they belong to and return them to the pax at the back.
Wouldn't it be better if Premium passengers stayed in the lounge longer while they loaded from the rear. PHX is great for this because they call you in the lounge after the main boarding has been done, only 1 fight a day. Admittedly that couldn't happen at T5.
Load the plane from the back, does it matter if you get on first, you all have seats and will get on before the plane departs, why is it so important in the great scheme of things?
Boarding is always chaos, as soon as it is announced who can priority board everyone stands up and either goes forward to block the priority lane or "thinks" they have priority especially if they are non english speaking at Heathrow.
It seems to be a case of DYKWIA. Life is too short but saying that if BA policy says you can priority board then it should be so.
Old Jun 27, 14, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; MM Freccia Alata Plus; IHG Spire Elite; Hilton Diamond; LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by sapper188 View Post
If the overhead lockers are full check how many passengers are in CE and then how many bags are there in the lockers and ask the CSD to find out who they belong to and return them to the pax at the back.
Unfortunately it doesn't work like this at all.

It happened to me more than once that I boarded among the last passengers and I had a CE seat, in front of me ET passengers were putting their bags in the overhead lockers in J even BEFORE they arrived at their seats, BEFORE checking if they had space in ET for their bags.

CSD/purser was useless, my bag was put in the hold.
After the flight I reported to Customer Relations and got Avios compensation.
Old Jun 27, 14, 4:33 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by 81romeo View Post
BINGO!
You appear to be (rather conveniently) ignoring post no. 27...
Old Jun 27, 14, 4:37 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
I like the way that United does boarding zones.

I don't know exactly how they allocate them- presumably a combination of cabin class, status and seat location - F is zone 1, I tended to be zone 5 - but they are rigorously enforced and sort themselves out quickly.

Of course it does require back end IT and a will to enforce (i.e., to annoy other customers).

No excuse for not delivering an advertised benefit. I'm not sure how many actual bronzes there are - I don't think that being bronze means you "deserve" priority boarding but I guess you earn it either by buying high-value tickets infrequently (at which point you probably get priority boarding anyway and disturb precisely no one) or by flying so much you probably travel light and know how to get out of the way.

If they are rare enough (in terms of numbers on flights) that they don't make a difference then fine - otherwise I'd reserve it for higher status passengers. I say this as someone who will finish this TP year on bronze.
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:02 am
Suspended

Easyjet speedy boarding way simpler
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:34 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 5:13 am
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:39 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by angatol View Post
In the spirit of the nth rule, I propose boarding in alphabetical order based on FT handle.
In which case I shall be requesting to change mine to "aardvark".
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by V10 View Post
In which case I shall be requesting to change mine to "aardvark".
AachenVistor at your service
Old Jun 27, 14, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CCayley View Post
You appear to be (rather conveniently) ignoring post no. 27...
I'm not since there were just two lanes yesterday only boarding announcement was made.

Search this Thread