Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Hmm. If you're flying somewhere with BA but will then be continuing on (same day) with another airline, on another booking, what happens if the bags fail to turn up off the BA flight?

Is "best practice" to put a piece of paper with your final destination inside the bag?
I think the way interlining contracts work is that the last airline will ultimately be responsible for your bag. So if it's checked through and you are flying with airline ZZ, they will get your bag to you and cover cost of transport and open a claim etc even if BA didn't get the bag to the middle destination. I am sure they will sort out financials etc between them but you don't have to go to BA but deal with ZZ.

I had a cancelled AA flight recently and got rebooked onto UA with bag being automatically transferred. When the bag eventually didn't make it, UA took responsibility even though it was AA who had screwed up.

If the bag isn't checked through or there aren't interline agreements, I think you might have issues as I cant imagine anyone checking your bag to your final destination purely because there's a note left inside. BA may agree to transport your bag onwards if you tell them that your final destination is different from that of the bag being tagged to.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by chris1979
If the bag isn't checked through or there aren't interline agreements, I think you might have issues as I cant imagine anyone checking your bag to your final destination purely because there's a note left inside. BA may agree to transport your bag onwards if you tell them that your final destination is different from that of the bag being tagged to.
I won't be able to interline due to it being separate tickets and the second airline isn't in OW, so was planning to reclaim and recheck at STR.

If the bag doesn't make to STR then I guess BA will have to return the bag to me one way or another, they can't just leave it going round on the carousel at STR until then next time I pass through there (?!)
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I won't be able to interline due to it being separate tickets and the second airline isn't in OW, so was planning to reclaim and recheck at STR.

If the bag doesn't make to STR then I guess BA will have to return the bag to me one way or another, they can't just leave it going round on the carousel at STR until then next time I pass through there (?!)
I have not been in that situation before but yes, I assume BA will somehow get the bag to you. After all, even if you fly into LHR and that is your final destination, you could live right next to Heathrow or live in Plymouth or who knows.

Think getting the bag to you abroad might be a bit more tricky as I assume BA has UK contracts in place to get bags to anywhere in the he UK but I assume BA will still do so as you were not at fault.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have not been in that situation before but yes, I assume BA will somehow get the bag to you. After all, even if you fly into LHR and that is your final destination, you could live right next to Heathrow or live in Plymouth or who knows.

Think getting the bag to you abroad might be a bit more tricky as I assume BA has UK contracts in place to get bags to anywhere in the he UK but I assume BA will still do so as you were not at fault.
From multiple experiences airlines can send it to wherever necessary (once even as I traversed cities daily and needed to update destination to baggage system daily)
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I had looked at the reviews (how annoying that it is the same price in USD as in GBP!) and it seems like the more recent reviews are a lot better than the older reviews - I wonder if they have a new version with lower battery drain? And no, I don't work for them
As someone who actually has (and uses on the rare occasions I check luggage) a trakdot I would say that a 10 day battery life is probably optimistic but this seems to largely depend on whether the device goes into sleep mode or not. It is only supposed to do this in the air but I suspect it also goes to sleep when moving around (like on a baggage belt or a lorry).

It is certainly a handy system although it does not provide GPS level pinpoint accuracy. It will just tell you what airport it is in. I mostly use it when going skiing since BA managed to lose my bags earlier in the year on the way to Zurich and only returned them to me at LHR a week later. BA did however buy me a new ski jacket and trousers so I guess that was nice of them!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Silver VA Red SAS Gold
The Baggage System is down this morning (Saturday) too. My partner's suitcase made it through just in time, mine didn't. After 1 hour waiting the checkin agent told us to go through. Not sure it will make it to Cyprus
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: BA Silver VA Red SAS Gold
I confirm the belt system was down until 20 mins ago everywhere in T5 aside checkin area J (First) and A. My checking agent took my partner's suitcase herself to the side bit of J but mine was already on hers in F so, she couldn't take it. I don't think it will arrive in Cyprus. At least we can mate the flight. Does anyone know if BA will reimburse expenses paid for cloths and toiletries to be bought for a bag not arriving at destination ?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Stressed looking and not very "customer service hat on" F reception lady just frowned at me when I said I would check in my bag.

She said everything was fine this morning but there are now belt issues again. Bags certainly starting to pile up in F check in area.
Well well well. Is this one of your weekend trips to somewhere in Europe? If only you took on board the advice from myself and the expert advice from cws you could have been hbo today and had a smug look on your face as you checked in

Seriously though, I hope the baggage gods smile on you and your bag does make it. So far I have not had a delayed or lost checked bag yet and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

Btw, am sat in T5 near the uk arrivals point posting before heading off on the tube. Wave from the CCR
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Travelling out to Mumbai this evening, just decanted my case into a carry onsize bag. Not going to take any chances

MW
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Quote:

Stressed looking and not very "customer service hat on" F reception lady just frowned at me when I said I would check in my bag.

She said everything was fine this morning but there are now belt issues again. Bags certainly starting to pile up in F check in area.

Well well well. Is this one of your weekend trips to somewhere in Europe? If only you took on board the advice from myself and the expert advice from cws you could have been hbo today and had a smug look on your face as you checked in

Seriously though, I hope the baggage gods smile on you and your bag does make it. So far I have not had a delayed or lost checked bag yet and I wouldn't wish it on anyone else.

Btw, am sat in T5 near the uk arrivals point posting before heading off on the tube. Wave from the CCR
Ha!

This is a 2 nighter so chances of HBO even slimmer (though my hand luggage bag with laptop and iPad is heavier than my checked bag with toiletries and shorts).

Gate agent checked and my bag is being loaded as I type - though not everyone will be so lucky as she said that most bags won't make the flight.

Purser said when chatting that there were issues 2 weeks ago that never seem to have been fully resolved.

Safe flying / tubing.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:55 am

more T5 baggage issues today Saturday 28th June

PS there are more big carry on bags on this flight than I would have expected so appears that most people are traveling prepared / assuming the worst.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: BA GfL
I just checked in at T5 (arrived at 1040hr Sat 28th June 2014) and there are very large queues at all desks.

The 'baggage holding pens' are being set up and pax can check in then take their bags for holding.

Queue for F check in (I am Gold) was approx. 70 m long. Agents at the beginning and end of the queue are assisting.

I checked in and bag passed through the feed OK, and check-in agent said if bags go through then they will fly, but obviously take that with a pinch of salt. She did say "bag in pen = bag won't fly".

If you are travelling today I suggest you beef up your hand baggage, just in case.

South Security busy but not too slow.

GF not too busy,.

Kerbside to GF was approx. 50 minutes.

Happy trails fellow travellers!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Ha!

This is a 2 nighter so chances of HBO even slimmer (though my hand luggage bag with laptop and iPad is heavier than my checked bag with toiletries and shorts).

Gate agent checked and my bag is being loaded as I type - though not everyone will be so lucky as she said that most bags won't make the flight.

Purser said when chatting that there were issues 2 weeks ago that never seem to have been fully resolved.

Safe flying / tubing.
A 2 nighter?! Good grief man I do 7 nighters with hand baggage...

I hope your bag makes it - safe travelling fellow 79er
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:33 am

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG
one of my two bags has made it to Barcelona 2 days after our flight (and one day after the online tracker said it would). Fortunately it was the OH's bag for my sake (especially as her insurance ran out a month ago). Other bag is still completely missing, still trying to find it. Oh well!

Will have to buy a few more items of clothing today
Old Jun 28, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by peck
Quote:

Ha!

Safe flying / tubing.

A 2 nighter?! Good grief man I do 7 nighters with hand baggage...

I hope your bag makes it - safe travelling fellow 79er
I am getting regular grief / tease on here for "refusing" to cause myself stress and bother by lugging all my belongings with me and instead let BA do that so elements are cheeky banter

Purser said that 50 bags didn't make my flight but gate had assured me that mine was being loaded. Will be interesting to see if BA will be proactive in baggage hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.