Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

T5 baggage system failure - 26 and 28 June 2014

Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Connected today t5 to t5 flight, with arrival and departure after the announced baggage issue. Got to FCO and discovered no bags loaded....that the cabin crew didn't inform us of that was such a miss....spent 3hrs in the baggage service line in Italy with all other BA pax while simultaneously crashing the world tracer page. Finally got our queries in just as we pulled ahead, which was good bc the local folks could not input the hand written forms fast enough to give locators. The were telling folks up to 2 days for arrival and 4 til delivered.

Thankfully 1 of 4 checked bags made it on the absolute last flight. The other 3 are all MIA despite being one world priority and long connect bags. So much for coming in on F and transiting in Club....hope they get here before our ship departs on Saturday......
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:06 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Also impacted on me at LIS... about 20 other passengers also affected. Checked in bags at GLA for 9:20 flight.. come 20:20 LHR-LIS flight bag disappeared. Made the very stupid error (totally my fault and inexcusably stupid) of packing medication in hold.....

Will reasonable expenses cover basic essentials such as underwear, a shirt and trousers for tomorrow...(basic brands, don't intend on taking the rip) since all have failed to arrive as required?

Also, any idea when my luggage and I might be reunited, or is that a similar question to how long is a piece of string?

Thanks....
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: Free agent
No bags loaded on today's LHR-NRT BA005. Hoping they'll finally arrive in Oz about the same time as us on Saturday...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jackr27
Will reasonable expenses cover basic essentials such as underwear, a shirt and trousers for tomorrow...(basic brands, don't intend on taking the rip) since all have failed to arrive as required?

Also, any idea when my luggage and I might be reunited, or is that a similar question to how long is a piece of string?
BA say they re-unite most people with their bags within 72 hours, and judging from posters here that sounds about right. There will be exceptions, hence keep checking that piece of string.

That list of clothes looks ok to me, but again if you would like a bit of confidence then give your insurers a quick call since they may be able to authorise it immediately.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA say they re-unite most people with their bags within 72 hours, and judging from posters here that sounds about right. There will be exceptions, hence keep checking that piece of string.

That list of clothes looks ok to me, but again if you would like a bit of confidence then give your insurers a quick call since they may be able to authorise it immediately.
Sound advice C-W-S. Thank you ^
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Bonvoy Plat, National EE
Four bags made it on BA197 (2:20pm) LHR-IAH.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Deja vu all over again

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA say they re-unite most people with their bags within 72 hours, and judging from posters here that sounds about right.
Perhaps that is their lifetime average. But definitely not when they have one of these meltdowns.

I just went through this in the last BA baggage debacle, earlier this month. For those of you caught up in this, here's what you can expect:
  1. Website providing little to no information, if you can get on it at all.
  2. Phone lines jammed. If you get through, you'll get a recording that refers you to the website. See #1 above.
  3. Outstation agents with little to no information. They may get a list of bags coming in on a flight but it won't be accurate. They won't really know if your bag is coming in until they have it in their hands.
  4. BA won't send your bag on other airlines. They'll wait until they can put it on one of their own -- no matter how long it takes. If you're at a destination where there is only 1 flight a day, and they can't fit it on today, it will be tomorrow. Then the next day. Then the next day. Then the next day. And if you're lucky like I was, it will finally come the next day. (A week later.)
  5. No email with an apology, or some Avios for your inconvenience. Nothing. The whole drawn out process results in you feeling as though you are just lucky you got your bag back at all.
Good luck folks. I truly feel for you.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thankfully my luggage was put on the last flight to GVA and delivered after midnight.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris1979
I can't go away for 1 night on hand luggage only and am of the male species.

I have been getting packing counseling from the very best on here though so might have to revisit said advice before my flight on Saturday.
Come on chris1979 - all you need is a bit of courage to try hbo for the first time. I'll never check in a case again. That includes holidays to Hawaii. Even the missus is on board now as well.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Hopefully it's sorted by now as we're about to leave for T5 with hold luggage.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moonman85

Annoyingly when I checked in they said the bags would be put on the plane and I looked at the big pile and thought that looked like a tall order but didn't then think to take anything out of my checked bag and stick in hand luggage
Same here...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by billinghamn
Come on chris1979 - all you need is a bit of courage to try hbo for the first time. I'll never check in a case again. That includes holidays to Hawaii. Even the missus is on board now as well.
I am willing I think.

So how does this work then? I tell the butler to leave out all liquids out and just cram everything else into the large brown bag that I carry so I don't have my book and headphones just in my hands?

My problem is hating running out of things - hence those miniature deo, shampoo, etc things aren't my favourite items. And I hate the faff of security - taking my iPad out is hassle enough. So I just tend to outsource that faff to BA by giving them the bag and having a pee and catching up on my phone near the baggage belt at the other end and a few mins later, bag is there.

(I have also been separated from bags before but not sure often enough to (in my mind) warrant lugging everything around with me all the time).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Just checked in at GLA and all seems normal in LHR now according to the staff there. They mentioned that over 10,000 bags missed their flights! I reckon Heathrow Airport will have a large bill to settle with BA for this one!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:20 am

Programs: Free agent
Four of those bags were ours. One out of four has made it to NRT in time for our connecting flight. Other 3 still MIA. We'll see what turns up in MEL tomorrow.

On HBO. It's great for shortish business trips. Impossible with an 11mo!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by Nimrod1965; Dec 29, 2016 at 12:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.