Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LCY-DUB announced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Why did this route fail the last time they tried it?

Currently AF still code shares with WX on this route. Is that likely an ongoing thing or just temporary?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by layz
Currently AF still code shares with WX on this route. Is that likely an ongoing thing or just temporary?
I'm not sure we can draw much inference from this, as AF has been rather slow at times of late to load the CityJet services in its databases even before it was actually sold, but searches for DUB to LCY on the Air France website for the spring 2015 timetable show only connections via Amsterdam (so, on the KL-coded Aer Lingus flights. First time I have EVER seen these flights offered by the Air France website).

The DUB-CDG codeshare on WX is still shown for my selected dates in April. But not the DUB-LCY codeshare. Perhaps this means that the codeshare will be dropped early next year, but it's not definitive proof.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Route failed last time because cityflyer were flying the bae/rj which was leased from flightline off the top of my head.

Old airframes and leasing costs and also flightline went under around the same time.

I suspect wx will pull out of LCY at some stage and I'm not 100% certain flybe will come out ahead against BA and the E-Jets.

cs
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:06 am

It's great to see BA resume the route, but there's no way it can support 3 carriers.

BA certainly has an advantage on equipment (the WX RJ85s are due for replacement and BE's Q400s will certainly deter some people).

I'll probably switch to BA, since WX haven't bothered to set up a FFP to replace Flying Blue, but it is with a heavy heart as WX's reliability and timekeeping on the route has been nothing short of stunning. In 150 sectors over the last 4 years I've been delayed by more than 20 mins only 5 times, with 4 of those being fog related.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
I suspect wx will pull out of LCY at some stage and I'm not 100% certain flybe will come out ahead against BA and the E-Jets.
If WX pulls out of LCY, they will effectively be throwing in the towel. It's their hub and abandoning it (for where?) would decimate the airline.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If WX pulls out of LCY, they will effectively be throwing in the towel. It's their hub and abandoning it (for where?) would decimate the airline.
Didn't say I was correct, had inside knowledge or all the answers.

However, LCY is an expensive airport to operate expensive aircraft into, if BA start to turn the screws I suspect the WX routes will drop one by one.

I would love to be wrong as the industry needs the competition, but now that WX isn't part of the AF group I just can't personally see cityjet remaining at LCY / remaining on all the current routes.

cs
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CityJet certainly is at a crossroads now that it has left the AF fold after over 15 years.

A much smaller CityJet once saw off the challenge of both Aer Lingus and British Airways on the DUB-LCY route back in the 1990s - when CityJet was little more than just DUB-LCY.The route was pioneered by CityJet - if they ever gave up on it, it would be almost the equivalent of BA abandoning Heathrow.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
It's great to see BA resume the route, but there's no way it can support 3 carriers.

BA certainly has an advantage on equipment (the WX RJ85s are due for replacement and BE's Q400s will certainly deter some people).

I'll probably switch to BA, since WX haven't bothered to set up a FFP to replace Flying Blue, but it is with a heavy heart as WX's reliability and timekeeping on the route has been nothing short of stunning. In 150 sectors over the last 4 years I've been delayed by more than 20 mins only 5 times, with 4 of those being fog related.
Can't you book under the AF code (while it lasts) and still credit to Flying Monopole?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:30 am

Can't you book under the AF code (while it lasts) and still credit to Flying Monopole?
On my last half dozen flights the AF codeshare was €40-€100 more expensive than with WX directly. I like fasttrack access in DUB, but not that much! (The other FB benefits and miles I value at pretty much zero).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
On my last half dozen flights the AF codeshare was €40-€100 more expensive than with WX directly. I like fasttrack access in DUB, but not that much! (The other FB benefits and miles I value at pretty much zero).
Hmm so the code shares are not competitively priced? Does WX offer a lounge in DUB?

I agree that FB is not very good (hence the monopole reference). Perhaps they could revive VLM's Encore FFP?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Now here's some good news ^

H
Old Jun 26, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Very handy for connecting to the BA 001 for EX-EU fares!
+1 I'm currently booked an ex-EU TP run~!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:04 am

Saving or not, MAN-DUB, DUB-LCY-(SNN)-NYC is getting a bit much for me...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
Should we expect a reduction in DUB-LHR frequency, perhaps a daily slot pair released for longhaul, once the 5 daily LCY frequencies get established?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Why did this route fail the last time they tried it?
I used to do this trip every couple of weeks, and I recall that the evening flight from DUB - LGW/LCY both left within a short time period (30 minutes or so?). I once was one of three passengers on board the flight from DUB - LCY

Originally Posted by dannyrado
Saving or not, MAN-DUB, DUB-LCY-(SNN)-NYC is getting a bit much for me...
Where's you sense of adventure ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.