Search

C Bucket Fare refundable?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:30 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card

I just booked a TATL (PHL/AMS via LHR and then back to LHR and then to IAD) in W class (fully flexible PE). For the short hauls between AMS and LHR it booked me into CE in a C fare. I know J is flexible but is C also flexible if it is on the W class reservation?

Also if I UuA one of the W legs what happens to the flexibility of the entire reservation?

Thanks !
Old Jun 24, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
The flexibility for all flights, regardless of being booked into C on AMS LHR and regardless of a UUA, is that of your underlying W fare.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're looking through the telescope from the wrong end. The fare rules for that journey govern your flexibility on that journey. Separately, the fare determines which booking code or bucket you occupy on each flight leg. There is a general principle that full flex fares book into J but perhaps for the W fares BA doesn't want to give you the full availability a "J" or an "F" fare would permit, to ensure perhaps Max availability for those fare holders over W.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:23 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Normally I buy E or T and kt books into Y but perhaps W books into C. Either way I'll take it (and the tier points !)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bdohmen
Normally I buy E or T and kt books into Y but perhaps W books into C.
I think you may need to look more closely into this. A quick and dirty search suggests that even the most expensive W class fare from PHL to AMS books the short-hauls into Y class, not C.

So there's a possibility that what you've got is a W class ticket between PHL and LHR, combined with a C class fare between LHR and AMS. (And similarly on the return half.)

If that's right, then the flexibility of the C class sector will be governed by whatever the applicable C class fare is, which you would have to look up separately.

One way to try to find out is to take your booking reference to classic.checkmytrip.com and see whether an e-ticket tab shows. If it does, click it. Then look at the detail of your e-ticket, which should show you the applicable fare basis for each sector.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:06 pm
formerly bdohmen
Original Poster

Bought, UuA, and then a day later had to cancel and was told it was infact fully flexible so looks like the c bucket thing in the end was irrelevant. Interestingly I booked a non flexible one to replace it (had to add two new legs and change the outbound city) and it booked the short hauls into Y, N, and O with a myriad of different tier points which I was definitely not expecting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.