Help with Santorini (JTR) airport

Old Jun 24, 14, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA BAEC

Hi, I'm leaving Santorini tomorrow, flying CE. There is no OLCI available and I've heard the airport tiny, hot and has no lounge. Does anyone know if BA has a Club check-in desk, and fast track? I'm trying to spend as little time as possible there TIA
Old Jun 24, 14, 8:28 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
I flew in on Ezy so it might be different for BA.

The airport was a bit of a disaster zone. Ours was the only aircraft in sight, and they still insisted on using the bus to take us to the terminal. The distance was so short they had to drive the bus out onto the runway to turn it around and get back to the terminal.

Leaving was just as bad, with long queues and odd security arrangements.
Old Jun 24, 14, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS

I'm off with Mrs E2S in August, ET, so something else to make the journey less comfortable.
Old Jun 24, 14, 9:46 am

We flew back from Santorini a couple of weeks ago. BA is handled by Swissport there. I'm almost certain there was a Club check-in desk. After security there's quite a pleasant shaded roof-top bar. Before boarding, you'll need to show your passport and wait in a non-Schengen area, which is indeed quite cramped and hot. There was fast-track boarding for eligible passengers, they had sole use of the first bus. We arrived at the airport 70 minutes before departure and that was plenty of time. Hope you enjoyed Santorini!
Old Jun 26, 14, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA BAEC
Thanks for the info, had no wi-fi so couldn't post earlier. There was a CE desk, but didn't seem to move any quicker than ET since they had 2 desks and there were a lot of people in club. They did announce priority boarding but didn't open the doors (?) so ended up being a scrum. Santorini was beautiful, although 100 stairs up from hotel room to road made life interesting!
Old Jun 26, 14, 2:36 am

The terminal is a new luxury feature.In the good old days,check in was some trestle tables in the field next door.
Old Jun 26, 14, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC
There is a Club desk, but they don't patrol who uses it. No fast track at security, no lounge, no vouchers. There is an outdoor viewing deck upstairs which is much nicer than sitting on the ground floor. The non-Schengen holding pen in tiny and grim.
Old Jun 26, 14, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
An incentive to spend more time in beautiful Santorini and less in the airport, IMO
Old May 2, 17, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Bumping an old thread, is 70 minutes still the recommended time to arrive at Santorini airport (JTR) for the BA flight to LHR? Seems tight to me, but the consensus seems to be the less time spent here the better.

My wife and I are traveling in CE. We have EU passports but our lap infant does not (US passport). Not sure whether that matters or not for the passport check.
Old May 2, 17, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you get there before 70 minutes, it will do no good, they won't let you through security let alone passports any sooner anyway. Unless you have a particular vibe for hanging around or queuing in an unrenovated concrete block I wouldn't arrive any sooner. When I was last there I came across remnants of Middle England in full on eye-popping fury, having turned up over 3 hours early, just to stare at a closed BA desk and then a shut security entrance for the whole time.

[The passport bit is related to the fact that they need to clear everyone on the inbound aircraft first, then the same agent will process everyone leaving Schengen.]
Old May 2, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Tavernas across the road are an easy stroll.
Old May 2, 17, 4:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, Fans of MO, Marriott
Originally Posted by Plymothian View Post
After security there's quite a pleasant shaded roof-top bar.
I wouldn't call it pleasant, but kind of ok to spend 30 minutes.
Old May 2, 17, 8:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you get there before 70 minutes, it will do no good, they won't let you through security let alone passports any sooner anyway. Unless you have a particular vibe for hanging around or queuing in an unrenovated concrete block I wouldn't arrive any sooner. When I was last there I came across remnants of Middle England in full on eye-popping fury, having turned up over 3 hours early, just to stare at a closed BA desk and then a shut security entrance for the whole time.

[The passport bit is related to the fact that they need to clear everyone on the inbound aircraft first, then the same agent will process everyone leaving Schengen.]
Captured it perfectly !! Probably the safest airport to pitch up late in the whole BA network
Old May 2, 17, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by sammyg901 View Post
Captured it perfectly !! Probably the safest airport to pitch up late in the whole BA network
Great, thanks all!
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: Now BAEC Brown, fallen from 10 yrs BAEC Gold; Oyster 60+ Travelcard
Mrs GL2 and I have a four night trip to Santorini next week. We are flying CE. Is the advice for the return trip still the same:
1. There is a priority/CE check in but not necessarily rigidly enforced
2. Security does not open until T-60
3. Don't go through to the holding pen until as late as possible
4. There is priority boarding, but only onto the bus
The CE cabin is currently 5 rows outward and 7 for the return.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: