Best Meal on Plane, EVER?

Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Best Meal on Plane, EVER?

It has been a long time since my last post but, I return to shout about something which changed my evening last week on my return back from Singapore... I had the BEST meal on a plane, ever!

On the BA 16 in First, the Thai Yellow Curry with Roasted Duck, with extra sauce! Absolutely exquisite!

Got me thinking, ever had that meal which would rival the best restaurant? and what was it?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:21 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm afraid I'm going to plump for the AA ice cream sundaes. Bragging rights: had one 15 minutes ago.

I've had some great meals in CCR London too, but that probably doesn't count. Risotto and the Cambridge Cream.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm afraid I'm going to plump for the AA ice cream sundaes.
Unless you're an American, an ice cream sundae doesn't count as a meal.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Best food I've had on a plane?

QF F on the A380, The Qantas Club Sandwich, freshly cooked, beautiful.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
Sure it does!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
+1
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Oh, and Oasis Soup is very nice too.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
BA CE from MAD to LHR a couple of years ago I had a fantastic lamb hot pot. It is the only time I have ever asked for seconds.

The only problem the crew had was explaining "hot pot" to the Spanish customers.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I've had a few stunning dishes on planes, but they have most often been cold dishes. In J, TK, OS, and AZ (long haul) are amongst best in class in my experience, but AF also occasionally has stunning starters and desserts in J (including some stunning poached lobster a couple of times) and P. I have also had a few excellent dishes on QF, QR, MU, and CX but less regularly.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:08 pm

Many years ago when Business Class was just a dream (before I found flyertalk!) we were travelling in economy from JFK to MAN on Delta. Names tannoyed and we were in Business Elite - our lucky day.

Whether it was the surprise of the Business Class experience I'm not sure, but the rack of lamb that was served was one of the most enjoyable meals ever.

Always had a soft spot for DL after that
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As I eat good quality food at home it's unrealistic to expect an airline to provide me with anything spectacular. I did enjoy the food on both Iberia flights last year though.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
All a bit fishy.... Smoked salmon starter, simple maybe but good quality (for a change)
And I have to say that the fish pie that used to be served was good, too....
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Had a very tasty fillet of beef in teriyaki sauce with wasabi mash on AA between JFK and SFO on Friday. I won't mention the dried up husk of a quail that I had on the proceeding BA flight though… Oops, I just did.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the air - probably a rack of lamb I had a handful of years ago on CX. Definitely (good) restaurant quality.

At the airport - the seasonal (Xmas) goose carpaccio started and roasted goose main at the LH First Class Terminal.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Caviar and Krug between JFK-FRA on SQ in an a F suite on the 380. All of two of us up front on that flight so indulged in as much of both as i could handle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.