Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Larnaca

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Camflyer
I'm considering a mid-winter break in Cyprus around New Year. I'm not looking for sun bathing weather, just somewhere sunnier than here would do fine. So, a few questions for you LCA regulars

1) is the LCA flight really that bad? I'm tempted to treat myself to go CE at least on the outbound.
2) Where is the best place to go? I'm assuming the more touristy resorts will be fairly dead at that time of year but is Larnaca and/or Phapos lively enough
3) If not LCA then where else is nice at that time of year that isn't going to break the bank? I've also thought about a few nights in ATH plus an island trip. just a shame that the Mykonos service doesn't operate in the winter.
I don't know why people here don't like the LCA flights, however flying all the way from LON to LCA in CE can be a bit depressing.
If you are based in LON, you may find the CY service from STN better as their business class features seats similar to US domestic F. You may also prefer flying to TLV (or CAI, or somewhere else in the area) in CW, then connecting to LCA...

BTW - it also seems that CY is cheaper than BA by 100 GBPs for the dates I have checked (in business class) so you definitely should consider that.

Last edited by gordo6; Jun 21, 2014 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver
I'm considering a mid-winter break in Cyprus around New Year. I'm not looking for sun bathing weather, just somewhere sunnier than here would do fine. So, a few questions for you LCA regulars

1) is the LCA flight really that bad? I'm tempted to treat myself to go CE at least on the outbound.
2) Where is the best place to go? I'm assuming the more touristy resorts will be fairly dead at that time of year but is Larnaca and/or Phapos lively enough
3) If not LCA then where else is nice at that time of year that isn't going to break the bank? I've also thought about a few nights in ATH plus an island trip. just a shame that the Mykonos service doesn't operate in the winter.
Personally I have no issue with the LCA flight. Flew CE last year, and it was fine - if you can, bag the middle seats as they have more space (assuming it's a 767 as it was when I went). Going via Tel Aviv or Beirut is an idea but the connecting flights to LCA do tend to be very expensive for such a short hop and I found the timing doesn't work. Great if you *want* a night in either place (and I love both) but not if you just want to get to Cyprus.

I think you will find the Christmas weather in Cyprus lovely; I always think it has an English late spring feel to it.

I don't know Larnaca very well but Paphos will be reasonably lively around then, at least you will be able to find bars etc. open and - especially if you miss Xmas itself - you should get some great deals on hotels.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gordo6
BTW - it also seems that CY is cheaper than BA by 100 GBPs for the dates I have checked (in business class) so you definitely should consider that.
Yes, the CY route is tempting but ideally I'd like to stick to a BA/OW option. I have some more thinking to do...
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Yes, the CY route is tempting but ideally I'd like to stick to a BA/OW option. I have some more thinking to do...
If so, and if better seats are important to you, you should certainly consider flying via TLV/BEY/CAI. From TLV, the market to Cyprus is now far bigger and cheaper, with flights operated by CY (9 weekly), UP (low cost airline owned by LY) and IZ (flying both to PFO and LCA - however the routes are seasonal).

UP, for example, is currently charging $75 per way to LCA in December, and some of their flights depart 3 hours after BA165 arrives (usually that happens on Saturdays) so it may be convenient to you. CY also usually departs 1:30 hours or so after BA163 lands (however that may be too tight for a connection in TLV).

On the return (from LCA to LON) connecting via TLV can be much longer and less comfortable (the flight times usually don't match very well). However you can still book LHR-TLV//LCA-LON on BA, and just TLV-LCA on UP if convenient.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gordo6
On the return (from LCA to LON) connecting via TLV can be much longer and less comfortable (the flight times usually don't match very well). However you can still book LHR-TLV//LCA-LON on BA, and just TLV-LCA on UP if convenient.
I've just priced up LHR-TLV//LCA-LON and it breaks my budget since TLV is a CW service.

I can get LHR-LCA with outbound in CE, return in ET (with the plan of upgrading later) for just under £400 including a £50 discount for part payment in Avios.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: GGLfL
You don't need to book open jaw like that. You book a LHR-LCA return, combining a full fare IATA "CIF" ticket on the outward, with a cheaper D class on the direct return flight. I do this all the time. Comes in around under £1000 return.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:59 am

There isn't a Grrrr Paphos thread, but I can't get a seat to PFO for a Wednesday in September as CE is sold out, only Y seats available.

What is the farthest back that CE can go in a LGW 737-400. EF shows the CE seats back to row 9. If I waitlist, can the cabin go farther back, or is 9 rows the maximum?

Last edited by MrSimonR; Aug 23, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have been looking ahead to next May and July to book my Paphos flights.
Already prices seem high in both cabins and on some days few seats available. It doesn't help that I have to book for flights during the school holidays too!!
Maybe time for BA to consider going back to daily during the summer months. Would be great to see a limited service during the winter months too!!
I last travelled out and back in May and the flight was fully booked both ways. CE bursting to the seams too!!
I remember when GB Airways were operating the BA franchise it was at least daily plus fewer flights in the winter.

V.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MrSimonR
What is the farthest back that CE can go in a LGW 737-400. EF shows the CE seats back to row 9. If I waitlist, can the cabin go farther back, or is 9 rows the maximum?
Row 9 is the maximum CE configuration on the 737.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...n-seatmap.html
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
We have just booked PFO for late September and I was surprised at the lack of availability, it's a good job we are flexible on dates. Have booked in ET, can't believe the CE prices, almost the same as CW to Jamaica! Supply and demand I guess. I hadn't realised how popular Cyprus is off season....
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by SaraJH
We have just booked PFO for late September and I was surprised at the lack of availability, it's a good job we are flexible on dates. Have booked in ET, can't believe the CE prices, almost the same as CW to Jamaica! Supply and demand I guess. I hadn't realised how popular Cyprus is off season....
I can't even get CE seats out to PFO, the cabin is full.

And to LCA and back on my dates, there is only J class available, at an incredible £2890.56 for 2 of us.

The fares are almost £1450 each to LCA.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
In CE to LCA, there are £399 fares available in September and £349 fares available for every month up to July next year. Obviously only helpful if you are flexible on dates and include a Saturday night stay, but these lowest fares are available.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by MrSimonR
I can't even get CE seats out to PFO, the cabin is full.

And to LCA and back on my dates, there is only J class available, at an incredible £2890.56 for 2 of us.

The fares are almost £1450 each to LCA.
It's bonkers! We were playing the BA booking game whereby we kept getting the 'sorry, there has been an error processing your booking' message over the course of 2 days last week. Finally got there but had to change our dates in the process.

I refuse to pay TATL prices for CE and am not looking forward to a Band 4 flight out of LGW in ET but needs must, I need a short break where I am almost guaranteed decent weather. And all for 40 tier points.....
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Genius1
In CE to LCA, there are £399 fares available in September and £349 fares available for every month up to July next year. Obviously only helpful if you are flexible on dates and include a Saturday night stay, but these lowest fares are available.
That doesn't work when you are going on business (rules out the Sat night R class fares) and have fixed dates.

I am routinely paying £1000+ for LCA fare.
R class was pretty hard to come by over the summer months, and almost non-existent on the PFO route.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:57 pm

Actually, in the interests of being fair, we looked at lots of Euopean destinations at the end of September and availability was carp. Why do winter schedules kick in so early, surely September is now a popular month for travel, particularly for those of us without children that consciously avoid summer holidays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.