Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential Ultra Long Routes 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Probably the monthly CAA airport/route stats which are available online.
...which shows that LHR-LBA traffic is up 20% year on year. I'm doing it again on Saturday so I can confirm. Jolly useful route.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
...which shows that LHR-LBA traffic is up 20% year on year. I'm doing it again on Saturday so I can confirm. Jolly useful route.
Er, no I'm not. The flight has just been cancelled.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by FreqBAflyer
HNL has been rumoured for a while. Would BA be able to get traffic rights if they made a stop in Canada. BA could operate the route initially 2 to 3 x weekly LHR-YVR-HNL on a 787-9.
There is no chance of BA getting traffic rights to operate YVR-HNL-YVR.Neither the Canadians nor the US will allow BA to pick up or drop pax in YVR.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:17 am

Apparently there is no crew available. It seems this route is doomed. Not because the pax don't want to fly it but because the crew don't.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Just had a look at your map - and LHR-PER-SYD is nowhere near as "bad" as LA!

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-syd...yd,lhr-lax-syd

Going via Perth adds just 4.5%, while LAX adds 22.4%. Plus brings all the hassles of US immigration. You could really make a snappy connection at Perth and get to wherever you wanted in Australia much more quickly!

For MEL, via PER adds just 1.8%, while LAX adds 27.4%
Except the Australian government will not permit BA to operate domestic flights.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently there is no crew available. It seems this route is doomed. Not because the pax don't want to fly it but because the crew don't.
LHR-LBA? Come on, that must be the most popular route in the roster.

I have a couple of those coming up next week so I'll report back if they get cancelled.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rapidex
There is no chance of BA getting traffic rights to operate YVR-HNL-YVR. Neither the Canadians nor the US will allow BA to pick up or drop pax in YVR.
Is there something special about this route?

Or is there something special about YVR-JFK-YVR, which can be travelled on a oneworld airline that is neither Canadian nor American.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
SCL is an obvious choice. Sky Team is a marginal player in Chile, but both AF and DL maintain the SCL flights - so obviously they make some money there...
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is there something special about this route?

Or is there something special about YVR-JFK-YVR, which can be travelled on a oneworld airline that is neither Canadian nor American.
I'm not sure there is...

The Canada-EU air services agreement seems to permit operation of flights by an EU airline from an EU airport to a point in Canada and then to a point beyond. I'm no expert, but that sounds like LHR-YVR-HNL.

See Annex 1 of: http://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/..._agreement.pdf

I'm nearly positive the Canada-US bilateral agreement also permits these sorts of operations, as Air Canada had planned to launch a YYZ-LAX-SYD several years back, but were prevented from doing so by the Australian - not US - government.

The question is then whether the US-UK agreement permits this, and again my read is that it does: http://www.state.gov/e/eb/rls/othr/ata/e/eu/114768.htm (see "Article 3: Grant of Rights").

Perhaps someone with more expertise than I could chime in, but I'm fairly sure the airline rights are in place to permit such an operation.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:40 pm

Always suspicious of "20%" increases on the CAA stats. Its so variable with how dates land, previous year cancellations and aircraft types. Would be surprised if such a jump is a true reflection of a sudden demand
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
There is no chance of BA getting traffic rights to operate YVR-HNL-YVR.Neither the Canadians nor the US will allow BA to pick up or drop pax in YVR.
Odd, that. (BA used to fly 757s Toronto-JFK-Toronto.)
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by Cubiscus
I think limited is the word you're looking for, there is some. And a lot of premium leisure traffic.

It'd likely be a 'holiday' flight from Gatwick.
Interesting that you mention LGW. Western flew LGW-ANC-HNL some years ago; the service did not last long. (The fact that Western were using DC10-10s may have meant payload restrictions, which would have compounded problems arising from disappointing loads.)
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Seat64A
Interesting that you mention LGW. Western flew LGW-ANC-HNL some years ago; the service did not last long. (The fact that Western were using DC10-10s may have meant payload restrictions, which would have compounded problems arising from disappointing loads.)
BP is big in Alaska, but I can't imagine there's enough corporate traffic going to London to sustain a nonstop ANC-LON flight. If BA wants HNL, they'd be better off routing through Canada (YVR or YYC would seem most likely in my estimation).
Old Jul 7, 2014, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Terrible route. Nearly as bad as LA. Go via BKK, SIN, ICN, NRT

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-syd...yd,lhr-bkk-syd
Don't forget LHR-HKG-SYD, which is apparently only 2mi (!) longer than the direct flight

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr-syd...yd,lhr-bkk-syd
Old Jul 7, 2014, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Except the Australian government will not permit BA to operate domestic flights.
I didn't intend for BA to break the law. BA passengers bound for SYD (or anywhere else in Australia) can transfer to Qantas/Jetstar flights! (that's why I said "connection" in my post)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.