Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TCX69
In late 2014/early 2015 British Airways has refurbished all of its A320 and A321 fleet (ex-bmi aircraft are not to be refurbished, and A319 conversions are still undergoing--see below) to an interior of:
  • Business class (Club Europe/CE) seat pitch of 30", width of 17" and recline of 3";
  • Economy class (Euro Traveller/ET) seat pitch of 29-30", width of 17" and recline of 2".

The Shorthaul Boeing fleet (Gatwick 737s, Heathrow 767s) will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a business class seat pitch of 34", width of 19.5" and recline of 4.5", and with an economy class seat pitch of 31", width of 18" and recline of 4.5".

The ex-bmi A319 and A320 aircraft will not be refurbished. These aircraft will remain with a seat pitch of 30", width of 18" and recline of 3" in both business and economy.

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Pitch Changes
A319 business class from 34" to 30"
A320 business class from 34" to 30"
A321 business class from 34" to 30"

A319 economy class from 31" to 29"
A320 economy class from 31" to 30"
A321 economy class from 31" to 30"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Width Changes
A319 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A320 business class from 19.5" to 17"
A321 business class from 19.5" to 17"

A319 economy class from 18" to 17"
A320 economy class from 18" to 17"
A321 economy class from 18" to 17"

Mainline BA Shorthaul Airbus Seat Recline Changes
A319/A320/A321 business class from 4.5" to 3"
A319/A320/A321 economy class from 4.5" to 2"

The A320 aircraft fitted with in flight entertainment (IFE) will continue to offer it for use on selected flights of 3 hours and over (Band 4) – ATH/IST/LCA. These aircraft no longer offer in-seat power.

Detailed description of the new seats and cabin design, courtesy of lhrsinsyd

New seat plans
courtesy of TCX69

Completed Aircraft - 28 Apr 16
courtesy of TCX69

A319
All Complete

A320
All Complete

A321
All Complete
Print Wikipost

New Shorthaul Cabins

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Had Row 3 in July and Row 1 in December (Viking) and did prefer the latter. Just felt more spacious and open, even though I wasn't using a laptop either time.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks

Thanks for all the information. I will stick with Row 2 as we have carryon luggage and our personal items. The debris from a 4 month trip.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:12 pm

I thought all of the fleet was having the new pinnacle seating, but i noticed that all of the LGW 319's still have the standard seating. Are they due to be refurbished or are they staying as is?

Why did these ones get skipped - are they ex bmi or something?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DG55
I thought all of the fleet was having the new pinnacle seating, but i noticed that all of the LGW 319's still have the standard seating. Are they due to be refurbished or are they staying as is?

Why did these ones get skipped - are they ex bmi or something?
From what I've read on here they weren't refurbished because they already had the number of seats onboard BA were after. The refurb of BA's existing short-haul fleet was primarily to squeeze in an extra row.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:57 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by TCX69; Feb 10, 2020 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Costa Coffee
Hot & Bothered

Originally Posted by layz
Only Lufthansa Group airlines, AF/KLM still have extra legroom up front. As does Iberia.

29 inches is only the rear rows of A319, not going to be as bad as that in CE. I don't like the sound of rows without air vents, it's another thing to remember when picking where to sit (for me the lack of air vent might be the worst part). So far I've had no one recline into me, so can't comment on that.

This weekend I've been on a A320 with the converter seats and then on one with the spacesaver seats throughout. No enhanced cabins for me this time! I thought the chances of getting two non-enhanced aircraft over the weekend is very low considering most have been done now. Perhaps it's my lucky week
That's the only reference I could find in this forum on the lack of air vents on the A319.
BA916 LHR to FRA endured a particularly long taxi yesterday due to an incident on the apron outside 5B blocking the taxiway followed by a switch of runway just as we were approaching 27L. Combine this with the unusual London weather and an aircon in economy mode and you get a rather tropical cabin experience. I was stuck in 6A and realised that this seemed the only row at the front of the plane without air vents.

I could find no mention of this on either the BA source or alternative sites. To me this is worth listing on seat maps as I wouldn't want to repeat the experience.
Are there any other aircraft that have rows without vents?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been mentioned a few times. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to put air vents above the seats.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
It's been mentioned a few times. Apparently they couldn't figure out how to put air vents above the seats.
If you look at the layout of the screens, the oxygen mask dropdown, the lights and the vents, you will see they just run out of space on some A320 series. The airvent position - relative to the seat - actually varies by quite a margin as it is. If row 6 didn't have an airvent, then neither did row 9. So I would never willingly select rows 6 or 9, unless the weather is very mild or I was totally certain as to which Airbus type I was going to get. It's noticeable that the compressed A320s at LGW, the G-GATs, don't have this problem because there aren't TV screens on G-GATs. There is some airvent information in the main A320 series threads in the Dashboard (look for summer posts!).
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you look at the layout of the screens, the oxygen mask dropdown, the lights and the vents, you will see they just run out of space on some A320 series. The airvent position - relative to the seat - actually varies by quite a margin as it is. If row 6 didn't have an airvent, then neither did row 9. So I would never willingly select rows 6 or 9, unless the weather is very mild or I was totally certain as to which Airbus type I was going to get. It's noticeable that the compressed A320s at LGW, the G-GATs, don't have this problem because there aren't TV screens on G-GATs. There is some airvent information in the main A320 series threads in the Dashboard (look for summer posts!).
Hopefully this issue will go away in the NEOs and densified LHR fleet since these don’t / won’t have video screens so presumably more space for air vents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.