Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What'up with BA in SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unfortunately that's too sensible for the system. The only routes they seem to do this are CWLCY and HKG to LHR in that direction, where they sometimes pro-actively contact passengers and offer alternatives. Otherwise the system prefers to muck people about on the day. In the case of LHR be wary of being too helpful, the chances are you will still fly on your original service, not get compensation but lose the nice seat you allocated to yourself. However in your position the airline may well take the view that it's not a full flight at the moment, which may well prove to be the case.
Thanks c-w-s. I'd better just keep my head down. I feel almost guilty holding on to two precious F seats for which I paid virtually nothing when both that day's flights are showing F0 several days out. Heaven knows how much BA could sell them for, given the tendency of late bookings on F out of LAX. Surely a more proactive revman function would reach out and see if any Avios pax (especially those on indirect routings) might be persuaded to go via a mutually acceptable alternative route. I wouldn't mind being asked, even if I eventually declined.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold GL
One reason, although not the only one for SFO flight to LHR being busy at the moment is that there are a load of tech, ad and creative companies over in Cannes for the Cannes Lions event, which is on this week and everywhere is heaving! Lots of US companies over here from the Bay Area showcasing a lot of creative work etc.

I know just getting a flight from LON to NCE this week cost me a fortune and you can forget about a hotel which doesn't cost an arm, leg, and other body parts this week.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Slightly Sorry for OT: This made me wonder... I can see how an airport like NCE is easily affected by an event like this, but how about the other way around? What sort of event would it take to affect availability to, say, SFO from Europe, or LHR for that matter?

In the industry I work in, there are two international trade shows / conferences on the west coast, one in SFO with ~25k people attending and one in LAX with ~50k people attending. Neither of them seems to create a spike in the airfares from Europe, even though the share of Europeans in attendance is substantial. Hotel fares, however, always seem to be affected....
Old Jun 17, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
I think the more than expected traffic from SFO-LHR can be justified for the reason that California schools are off for the break and people are heading either home or Europe for holidays. Add to that a recent Apple event which could be the reason for fully occupied F and J classes. And on top of that - as many have told here SFO-LHR capacity is less as compared to say LAX-LHR because of the type of aircraft flown.

As far as the other way around goes, try to fare a trip from Europe-SFO during first week of January or during end of holidays when people are coming back. That may cost you an arm and a leg for minimum.

Last edited by techblr; Jun 17, 2014 at 5:38 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
2012 I was attending the Apple WWDC event in june. The same week a big sailing event and a tennis tournament was held in the bay area. Apple being (as usual) very late with their announcement, I had to pay premium for both flight and hotel.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by mjrkong
Slightly Sorry for OT: This made me wonder... I can see how an airport like NCE is easily affected by an event like this, but how about the other way around? What sort of event would it take to affect availability to, say, SFO from Europe, or LHR for that matter? ..
To answer your question - Anything happening in Vegas.

I fly into Vegas four times per year for conferences and events. For CES, the Consumer Electronics Show, the flights direct to LAS get booked up as soon as the flights become available.

Most people therefore travel through an airport which is close, and has easy links, to LAS. SFO and LAX are two of the easiest, rivalled by PHX. BA only has one flight to PHX and it is usually full, meaning a routing through the West coast.

NCE copes quite well considering the number of annual events that take place within its vicinity (MC Grand Prix, Cannes Film Festival, numerous UEFA/FIFA events, etc).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: MUCCI
What'up with BA in SFO?

It's interesting as I can see sort of why BA likes the A380 and 777 combo as you can very easily alter capacity between the 777-200 and 777-300 depending on demand. I'm sure we will see more of this in the future.

FD.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM
Originally Posted by paulwuk
I thought most new routes to Europe were from gatwock, in any case there's still the long haul equipment issue - Ba just don't have the planes.
AA has aircraft out of service at the moment as the 772 and 767 are being refurbished. AA is also getting more longhaul aircraft delivered. As AA's capacity returns/increases I would expect to see AA taking on more of the TATL flights from its hubs to LHR, which will enable BA to fly elsewhere. AA will likely take on one or two JFK-LHRs that are currently operated by BA and possibly also a flight or two from LAX, MIA, ORD or DFW to LHR.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlsw7
AA is also getting more longhaul aircraft delivered. As AA's capacity returns/increases I would expect to see AA taking on more of the TATL flights from its hubs to LHR, which will enable BA to fly elsewhere.
This is contingent on AA obtaining slots at LHR though, right?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:34 am

No, AA will, I think, operate services currently operated by BA. That frees up BA aircraft to go to other USA destinations and elsewhere. It doesn't increase the total slots, but does enable BA to swap things around to enable more longhaul flying.

Also, AA has just bought a slot pair from Cyprus Airways.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
AA has aircraft out of service at the moment as the 772 and 767 are being refurbished. AA is also getting more longhaul aircraft delivered. As AA's capacity returns/increases I would expect to see AA taking on more of the TATL flights from its hubs to LHR, which will enable BA to fly elsewhere. AA will likely take on one or two JFK-LHRs that are currently operated by BA and possibly also a flight or two from LAX, MIA, ORD or DFW to LHR.
I'm hoping they pick up BOS segs again so I can fly from T3 for PP lounge access.

An EWR flight would be great for me too but highly unlikely, or do US fly there?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:50 am

I'm afraid I can't see EWR or BOS. AA seems intent on following its cornerstone strategy of only flying to and from hubs. Could be one of the US hubs though - CLT or PHX perhaps.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: MUCCI
No, AA will, I think, operate services currently operated by BA. That frees up BA aircraft to go to other USA destinations and elsewhere. It doesn't increase the total slots, but does enable BA to swap things around to enable more longhaul flying.

Also, AA has just bought a slot pair from Cyprus Airways.
Bet that this was done to avoid SRB and VS kicking off as they would have done if BA had them......

Bet AA leases them to BA to run something..... (or is that not allowed - I don't know enough about slots)

FD.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:10 am

I don't know much about it either, but given the joint venture with AA, BA will surely benefit from it one way or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.