Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever got BA/Amex to "untrigger" a 241 Voucher?

Has anyone ever got BA/Amex to "untrigger" a 241 Voucher?

Old Jun 12, 14, 9:03 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Has anyone ever got BA/Amex to "untrigger" a 241 Voucher?

I imagine that most of you with a BA Amex card manage your spend on it so as to trigger your companion voucher at the most appropriate time for you.

I've got a situation where my voucher has been triggered due to a company (I won't name them) mistakenly putting through a transaction (nearly £600) - the invoice had already been paid by our health insurance. The company in the process of putting a credit back on my card but the Amex site is already showing the 241 trigger notification and I expect the voucher will appear in my BA account within the next few days.

The company has offered to write a letter stating it was their error, which I plan to present to BA/Amex to see if they can untrigger the voucher, or at least extend its date to the time when it would otherwise be triggered.

Has anyone been through this sort of scenario before? Once I get the letter, who will it be best to speak to - BA or Amex?

Last edited by Paralytic; Jun 12, 14 at 9:51 am
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:43 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 612
I have been in this situation before, albeit with the Chase BA card. BA said that only Chase could resolve it, and Chase said that only BA could resolve it. In the end, I had to live with having earned the voucher three months earlier than desired.
lewis_saint is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:51 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,405
It looks like once a 2-4-1 has been triggered it can't be untriggered.

So, just thinking out loud here, if you were to incur a transaction which took you over the £10k target your voucher would trigger, and if that transation happened to subsequently be refunded to your BAPP you keep the voucher and can use it as normal?

Last edited by KARFA; Jun 12, 14 at 11:14 am
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 12, 14, 10:59 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
So, just thinking out loud here, if you were to incur a transaction which took you over the £10k target your voucher would trigger, and if that transation happened to subsequently be refunded to your BAPP you keep the voucher and can use it as normal?
Yes, that looks to be the case. Indeed, some have discussed buying a full-refundable ticket as a way to trigger a voucher in cases where people could not otherwise achieve the spend. Once the voucher has been issued, the ticket is cancelled and refund takes place - that means a larger spend is required in the following year.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:06 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,405
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Yes, that looks to be the case.
Interesting. Even after any hypothetical refund I would hit the £10k target at some point during the year so would legitimately have earned it - albeit several months later. I guess if your earning year happened to start in August and you were looking to travel in March/April 2015 one might think it would be useful to have the voucher earlier than later.

Indeed, some have discussed buying a full-refundable ticket as a way to trigger a voucher ..... Once the voucher has been issued, the ticket is cancelled and refund takes place...
I never thought of that
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:27 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Yorkshire, UK / Pasadena CA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,219
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
if you were to incur a transaction which took you over the £10k target your voucher would trigger, and if that transation happened to subsequently be refunded to your BAPP you keep the voucher and can use it as normal?
There have been reports of people doing it successfully. But be aware that according to Companion Voucher T&Cs:
Members must remain eligible for this promotion at the time of travel. BA and Amex reserve the right to refuse to issue or honour any Companion Voucher in the event that the Member is in breach of the terms of the British Airways American Express Card or the BA Executive Club Membership.
Amex warn that if you close a BA Amex account, any booking made using a voucher earned through that account may not be honoured. There is at least a theoretical risk that a booking made with a voucher could be invalid if the voucher is subsequently "un-earned". In practice there would probably be no problem but you would be on thin ice if BA or Amex decided to make an issue of it.
fripperies is online now  
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:36 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,405
Originally Posted by fripperies View Post
Amex warn that if you close a BA Amex account, any booking made using a voucher earned through that account may not be honoured. There is at least a theoretical risk that a booking made with a voucher could be invalid if the voucher is subsequently "un-earned". In practice there would probably be no problem but you would be on thin ice if BA or Amex decided to make an issue of it.
Thanks fripperies. I would agree if you were to do that, use the 2-4-1, and then close the BAPP before properly hitting the £10k target you would be asking for trouble. However, it seems useful as a way of bringing the issue of the voucher forward if you knew you were going to hit the target anyway some time later in that year.
KARFA is online now  
Old Jun 12, 14, 11:47 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC, IHG, LeClub, HHonors
Posts: 599
Can I ask why would you want it untriggered? The 2-4-1 is valid for 2 years with a PP card which is a long time
EDI_Martin is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:27 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by mc1973 View Post
Can I ask why would you want it untriggered? The 2-4-1 is valid for 2 years with a PP card which is a long time
Because I want to use it for our 2016 summer vacation, which we usually take around the start of July. It will now go unused as it will expire around a month before we want to use it.

Last edited by Paralytic; Jun 12, 14 at 12:36 pm
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:33 pm
  #10  
NFH
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London (LCY)
Programs: BA blue, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Posts: 915
Neither American Express nor British Airways can delay it for you.

However, recently I asked American Express exactly what my balance was so that I could precisely stop short of £10,000, but they mistakenly omitted to tell me the pence, only the pounds, thereby telling me that my balance was slightly less than it really was. As a result, I went £0.08 over the £10k target and the voucher was issued prematurely. When I complained to American Express, they had the voucher expiry date amended by British Airways to the latest possible date that it could have been issued if I had waited until the end of the 12-month period.
NFH is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 12:38 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Near Edinburgh
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 9,034
Originally Posted by nfh View Post
However, recently I asked American Express exactly what my balance was so that I could precisely stop short of £10,000, but they mistakenly omitted to tell me the pence, only the pounds, thereby telling me that my balance was slightly less than it really was. As a result, I went £0.08 over the £10k target and the voucher was issued prematurely. When I complained to American Express, they had the voucher expiry date amended by British Airways to the latest possible date that it could have been issued if I had waited until the end of the 12-month period.
Thanks, that's useful and effectively gives the same result.
Paralytic is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 1:08 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Posts: 5,130
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
that means a larger spend is required in the following year.
Only if the refund occurs in the subsequent year. Otherwise it's whatever the limit is for your card, £10k or £20k.
Teece is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 3:02 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 1D in CE usually
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, CCR
Posts: 893
Originally Posted by Paralytic View Post
Because I want to use it for our 2016 summer vacation, which we usually take around the start of July. It will now go unused as it will expire around a month before we want to use it.

...which you can't book until August 2015, giving you more than a year to earn your next 241

...meaning you can get an unexpected bonus by taking a 241 trip to NYC or somewhere that won't use a lot of avios.
MrSimonR is offline  
Old Jun 12, 14, 9:12 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Geordieland
Programs: BA Gold, A3 White, HH Gold, Accor Plat.
Posts: 290
Not directly related, but I had an issue where a refund from a transaction in year1 took place in year 2. This resulted in my spend requirement for year 2 going up from the normal £10k to £10k plus the refunded amount.

The refund would not have affected my year 1 spend or voucher.

Discussing it with Amex got me nowhere.

I blew way over the £10k in year 2 so it was no issue in the end but I thought I would add this as additional reference to your point about refunds.

I have no idea if, had the refund affected the year 1 voucher (as in dropped the spend below the £10k) whether that would have had any effect on year 2.

It appeared to be a simple product of "enter into year 2 and your spend is now £10k" "you got x amount refunded, therefore your spend is £10k plus x.
jonboy73 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 14, 3:14 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by jonboy73 View Post
It appeared to be a simple product of "enter into year 2 and your spend is now £10k" "you got x amount refunded, therefore your spend is £10k plus x.
Yes, that's how it worked for me, too, when that happened a few years back - although in my case I deliberately delayed the refund into year 2 so as to help with postponing that year's voucher issue.
Globaliser is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: