"Your Seat Has Changed"

Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
"Your Seat Has Changed"

Got an email today from BA saying my seat in CW had been changed. Aircraft swap from 747 to 777 - so no more 64A

It now says I can reserve another seat at no extra cost, however, UD seats are more expensive, so how can I ensure they refund the difference? Or if I don't want to bother reserving a seat (as will hit silver before flight) how do I refund it completely?

Also - what is the best seat for a solo traveller on the 777? Am seeing rows 10-16 and all window seats except 11K are available.

Thanks
Old Jun 12, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It looks like you are now on a 773 - What route was this by the way?

My choice on that would be 11A, 11K, 16A or 16K - Avoid rows 10 and 12 as they are missing windows - with row 10 particularly bad
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by A P Yu
It looks like you are now on a 773 - What route was this by the way?
thanks for advice, it is LHR-BOM in Feb 2015
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Wing0A
It now says I can reserve another seat at no extra cost, however, UD seats are more expensive, so how can I ensure they refund the difference? Or if I don't want to bother reserving a seat (as will hit silver before flight) how do I refund it completely?
http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...es-and-refunds
Old Jun 12, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
At least you got an e-mail about it. I found myself thrown out of my favorite seat on a 787 because it was returned to a 767 service and I only noticed because I checked my booking. No e-mail at all.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I think the emails only go to those who paid for the service

My UD to JFK has also disappeared and I too am on the 777 - but worse - the 200 :-(
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:02 am

After my agonising about seat selection on my JFK flights next March I also received the same email for my outbound flight. Hopefully the inbound will remain a 747, but que sera, sera.
I've changed my seat selection but will wait a bit to reclaim the additional 15 just in case it changes again.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:16 am

Interesting that they do not refund seat charges if they upgrade you. Technically you would still not be receiving the seat selection that was paid for due to the airline's action...

For instance, someone who paid 80 to sit in upper deck CW who got 'upgraded' to row 5 of OF on an overnight flight may feel quite peeved. Likewise exit row WT to middle seat WT+.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
For instance, someone who paid 80 to sit in upper deck CW who got 'upgraded' to row 5 of OF on an overnight flight may feel quite peeved. Likewise exit row WT to middle seat WT+.
I think if you objected to the upgrade, you'd could be given your original seat back, so no refund would be due, but if you protested enough to the cabin crew and were told you had to sit in your new seat, I'm sure you could try to claim a refund.

However, that second option might result in you being given another seat in your original cabin due to someone else already having your old seat - in which case you would be due a refund.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I think if you objected to the upgrade, you'd could be given your original seat back, so no refund would be due, but if you protested enough to the cabin crew and were told you had to sit in your new seat, I'm sure you could try to claim a refund.

However, that second option might result in you being given another seat in your original cabin due to someone else already having your old seat - in which case you would be due a refund.
Interesting, thanks
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Yes, see my thread about the BOM changes for W14. I found out because my flight was 'cancelled' - I was on the 139 on a Saturday, and this has gone from a 747 to a 3-class 777, which was a fairly significant change since I was in F. A quick call to the gold line got me moved to the Friday, back in F (having been originally rebooked into J on the 3-class). I'm quite pleased about the changes, as I prefer F on the 777, especially on the -300, and the IFE is way better than on the 747. I'm a little surprised that they've dropped F from three out of the 14 rotations, as premium loads have always looked high to me.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
but if you protested enough to the cabin crew and were told you had to sit in your new seat, I'm sure you could try to claim a refund.
I think the T&Cs are pretty clear about upgrades - no refund, end of:

Paid seating will not be refunded if you cancel your flight, are involuntarily upgraded or are not suitable to sit in the seat type you have selected.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Teece
I think the T&Cs are pretty clear about upgrades - no refund, end of:

Paid seating will not be refunded if you cancel your flight, are involuntarily upgraded or are not suitable to sit in the seat type you have selected.
If i was moved from a WT exit row seat I had paid for to a middle WT+ seat, and made it clear to the cabin crew at the time that I did not want to move but was told I had to, I would make sure I got a refund, even if it meant going down the small claims route. T&Cs do not overrule rights. End of.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:45 am

I know, but if i was moved from a WT exit row I had paid for to a middle WT+ seat, and made it clear to the cabin crew at the time that I did not want to move but was told I had to, I'd ensure I got a refund, even if it meant going down the small claims route.
Quite right ^. I'm sure it wouldn't get that far either. Just because it is a term and condition, doesn't mean it can be relied on legally, especially if it is unfair.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Yeah count yourself lucky you were emailed, I'm flying the same route in December and just logged in to find an equipment change to a 777 and no Upper Deck 62K seat. Bigger , oh well never mind there are more pressing things to worry about I suppose. Like hoping that the 777 on my August BOS trip in F will magically become a 747 again Why for one week is it a different aircraft type BA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.