Wiki Posts
Search

BA T1 to T3 MCT?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

BA T1 to T3 MCT?

Hi,

Quick question - does BA have a separate MCT for connecting from T1 to T3?

Looking at a trip arriving on EI in T1 and departing 80 mins later from T3. It'll be hand baggage only and I know I might be as quick to walk between the two. According to heathrowairport.com this should be legal (75 min MCT).

I can only price a fare if I do two separate segments (which I presume means no connection protection) but then it shows an EI/BA combo instead of BA code/BA. I can get a single segment on a later departure where the connection time is 95 mins.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

mrkflyer
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
T1 > T3 MCT = 1h 15min.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mrkflyer
Quick question - does BA have a separate MCT for connecting from T1 to T3?

Looking at a trip arriving on EI in T1 and departing 80 mins later from T3. It'll be hand baggage only and I know I might be as quick to walk between the two. According to heathrowairport.com this should be legal (75 min MCT).

I can only price a fare if I do two separate segments (which I presume means no connection protection) but then it shows an EI/BA combo instead of BA code/BA. I can get a single segment on a later departure where the connection time is 95 mins.

Am I missing something?
Your apparent suspicion about an MCT problem is correct.

The bolded entry is the one you fall foul of if arriving on an EI flight number, and that's why you can't get a through itinerary to price:-
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at LHR
Incoming airline EI
Outgoing airline BA
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
OFFLINE   .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
EI-** II  1.30 TRM 1  - 3  
**-** II  1.15 TRM 1  - 3
Similarly, if you were to book a BA code on an EI-operated flight to T1, you'd have the same 90 minute MCT:-
Code:
Minimum Connect Times:
Connecting at LHR
Incoming airline BA
Outgoing airline BA
Flight type International to International

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE    .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
OFFLINE   .45  1.15  1.15  1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-** II  1.30 TRM 1  - 3  IRELAND - ALL   
BA-** II  1.30 TRM 1  - 3  
**-** II  1.15 TRM 1  - 3

Last edited by Globaliser; Jun 10, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Hi Globaliser,

Thanks for the response. That certainly explains it. I spoke to the TA and they can price it (and maybe force it through) but if BA don't allow it maybe it's better not to.

Even if the ticket could be forced, in the event of a mis-connect would BA throw me on to a later flight or given the < MCT, are the likely to say tough?

(FWIW: It's looking like tickets would book into a B code at the moment)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:35 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
You won't be able to book it as one ticket due to not meeting MCT.

You can certainly book it as two separate tickets on the same booking reference, but you will not have protection for misconnects.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply nux. Think it sounds too risky to try. I haven't experienced significant delays in to LHR before, but there's always a first time.

It did make me look into the possibility of a change, though. If I keep the original EI flight and change my BA connection to a later flight, the ticket becomes a D class ticket. Is that considered semi-flexible for changes on the day (like the B class is)?

My thinking was that if I get on time, I could see about making the earlier connection (for a fee) or worst case I'd have to hang around. The other option is to get a later EI flight (with the 95 minute connection).

Last edited by mrkflyer; Jun 10, 2014 at 1:47 pm
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:26 pm

Why does it take longer to connect from an Ireland flight?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cynicalmoose
I'd be interested to know too (out of curiosity). I'd have thought that with the CTA and the presence of a transfer bus for every EI flight that it'd be safe to achieve the standard MCT.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:07 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
MCT is not just set to account for expected connection time, it is also for revenue reasons amongst other things. For example at some airports a non-alliance connection MCT may be set much higher than intra-alliance connections to make it less attractive.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Here are my suggestions:

1. I think the transfer buses are relatively new. There may be a few occasions when no buses are present.

2. The Green Mile is far if no buses show up.

3. On arrival, if there are no buses, Ireland arrivals all end up landside.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

D fare class

Thanks everyone for their input. If I could just bump the question I asked earlier:

Is a D class fare semi-flexible (or changeable for a reasonable fee)?

The early EI flight/late BA connection books into D; the late EI flight/late BA connection books into B. Price difference is not huge.

The advantage for me is that I have an early flight the following day, so if I can change to the earlier connection I gain several hours more rest.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Isn't B Economy and D Business?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6501
Isn't B Economy and D Business?
It is, but depending on what you read here there's no difference at all!

Can't say I know CE but for this trip arrival time us more important to me, so will quite happily stick to what I know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.