Search

Bulk buy on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Bulk buy on BA

Afternoon all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. The tier points advice has kept me a self-funded gold member for a number of years and I look forward to contributing.

So, I live in London but have been accepted into a very well known US institution to do an MBA. I know my dates, but am flexible, and want to buy the next 12 months of travel upfront in the hope I can negotiate a deal.

Summary:
10 return flights from LHR to BOS
WTP or above
Not using Avios
Currently BA Gold

I'd have thought that they'd be interested in this but have no way of finding the RIGHT person to talk to. Gold line was not v helpful.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

N

EDIT: Having been advised that Virgin might be more receptive to this purchase I'd be interested to explore that too. Thanks

Last edited by notadoctor; Jun 9, 2014 at 12:32 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT! Have fun at Harvard/MIT!

I think 10 LHR-BOS return trips might not quite ruffle too many feathers at BA, though I suppose if you can prove that these will be in revenue CW you may get a special deal. I tried something similar through the corporate department a few years ago when I was doing a lot of LHR-YYZ but didn't really get very far. From memory I was quoted something like £30,000 for 15 CW (flexible) returns. It really didn't make too much sense and I got the distinct impression that it just wasn't worth their time. I ended up doing a deal with AC for much much less.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Hahaha solid guesses on Harvard/MIT, you're 50% right and thanks for the advice.

It may end up being more but 10 returns is the guarantee.

Would you suggest the corporate is the place to try?

£30k for 15 CW isn't quite the discount I was aiming for (!) but flexible makes a difference. WTP makes more sense as otherwise I hit the wine too hard and get no work done!

Which do you think is the more appealing to them, class of travel or number of trips?

It's good to hear that someone else has tried as it gives me a guideline.

Very much appreciate the input and well-wishes.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about setting up a company at Companies House (or use your own if you already have one) and then contacting the OnBusiness team? I realise that OB is a loyalty programme rather than a corporate contract handler, but they may well be able to put you in touch with the right people.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
£30,000 for 15 CW (flexible) returns
Depending upon how long ago this was, GBP 2k per flexible CW ticket seems like good value! You would not do much better than that nowadays in the sale for a non-flexible ticket.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Useful feedback, thank you.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by notadoctor
Which do you think is the more appealing to them, class of travel or number of trips?
Maximum revenue will be key. More specifically, the profitability on what they're selling you.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
How about setting up a company at Companies House (or use your own if you already have one) and then contacting the OnBusiness team? I realise that OB is a loyalty programme rather than a corporate contract handler, but they may well be able to put you in touch with the right people.
Not bad advice!

Depending upon how long ago this was, GBP 2k per flexible CW ticket seems like good value! You would not do much better than that nowadays in the sale for a non-flexible ticket.
This was a while ago, 1999/2000. The deal I struck with AC was to forward-purchase their (discounted for me) lowest Y category fare eligible for upgrade to J (B from memory), then getting an equivalent number of upgrade certificates (back then they were still in paper form), with a guarantee that there would be inventory for me. Convoluted, but it actually worked out at about £1,200 for each return flight.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maximum revenue will be key. More specifically, the profitability on what they're selling you.
I disagree. You need to consider BA's need to balance spill and spoil.

GBP 1.5k for CW on flights with unconstrained demand forecast at 50% seat factor is probably more profitable than GBP 5k for CW on flights with unconstrained demand forecast at 150% seat factor.

If the OP proposes a deal that is only valid on specific off-peak flights (e.g. ex-LHR on Wednesday afternoon and ex-BOS on Wednesday morning) this may be a good negotiating position.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eligible for upgrade
Another way to negotiate a good fare might be to propose paying the WT or WT+ fare for 10x tickets in advance at the regular fare and in return receiving a space available upgrade to a higher cabin.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:17 pm

With 10 tickets I guess you will not cause too much enthusiasm at BA. You may want to try booking with a good travel agent who knows who to call at BA. Alternatively wait for the next sale and book your 10 flights then.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: FB LT Plat, BA LTG, LH HON
I think that the stumbling block is likely to be the 10 flights. In a previous role I negotiated a route deal with BA and they only seemed interested when we committed to 150 CW flights in a year .
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I disagree. You need to consider BA's need to balance spill and spoil.

GBP 1.5k for CW on flights with unconstrained demand forecast at 50% seat factor is probably more profitable than GBP 5k for CW on flights with unconstrained demand forecast at 150% seat factor.

If the OP proposes a deal that is only valid on specific off-peak flights (e.g. ex-LHR on Wednesday afternoon and ex-BOS on Wednesday morning) this may be a good negotiating position.
OK, agree with that. The cynic might say that that should apply to Avios redemption availability as well!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA, Hilton.
I don't think you will get anywhere with 10 returns.

As for on business I thought you had to show two people travelling?

You might have better luck with Aer Lingus.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MickV
As for on business I thought you had to show two people travelling?
You only need to show two people travelling to redeem the points, not to sign up in the first place.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MickV
I don't think you will get anywhere with 10 returns.
It's quite salutary to know how small fry, and irrelevant, we all are. Just specks in the universe.

Actually, as you were, it's quite reassuring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.